CapitalQ

K-1 after removal

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Benin
Timeline

I do not agree that the officer acted accordingly. Yes he should have been turned around and sent home for possible immigration intent, but not detained for days. If this was my husband, I would have been furious. As we see time and time again in the US, people in positions of power sometimes seem to get on a power trip, and end up abusing their power. Not all people are this way, but it does happen. It's easy to say that the officer acted accordingly when you have your husband sitting next to you, but if you didn't and this happened to your spouse would you feel the same way? He didn't break any laws, he didn't plan on staying in the US. They had the right to send him home, but why the need to detain him? We've saw many people on here turned around at POE for having a spouse or significant other in the US, but not detained.

The "reason" they claimed for detaining him was because Benin is not a country that has routine flights all day long like some other countries and the first flight they claim they were able to book him on happened to be 4 days away.

When you talk about abuse of power, the same CBP officer who denied him and sent him to the correctional facility was the same one who had issues with our interracial relationship and she was the same one to be there when he returned back to O'Hare Airport to leave 4 days later. When she saw him, she said, "How was that? Did ya have fun? Did they treat ya real nice?" Does that sound at all professional or humane or even decent? I'd have to say no....and yes, you are correct, I am STILL furious!

I'll say this again...there are THOUSANDS of foreigners being detained in correctional facilities here and many of them are for minor reasons if not just suspicion alone. I wasn't aware of this fact either until it touched someone I love personally. Some are even being abused while in custody. This is no different than any other issue--we are often blind to situations and circumstances until they touch us directly. Then our eyes are opened by force.

Timeline

Yes I agree, he should have been turned away. I know what you mean, I don't agree with bringing a spouse here with the intent of him immigrating. That's fraud, and I in no way agree with that. But from the sound of the OP, he wasnt planning on staying in the US.

That is correct. There was no intent to commit fraud in any way. We have already been together two years and planned to continue our engagement, potentially, for up to another two years. I am a mother, full time employee and full time college student. He also works and just finished a degree recently. He was returning because my child was sick...not because he was planning to come here and squat.

Timeline

That only they would know but didnt sound like it,to me either.

What concerns me is..... is there more to this story??

That they detained. Intent alone doesnt seem like a detainable offense.

The detention, they say, was because there was no available flight back to his country until 4 days out.

These matters of detention occur more than anyone knows and like I explained to someone else on here, most people wouldn't even know this is happening in the US unless it touched them or someone they love directly. We are blind to the impact of certain things until they happen to us....I never knew this was happening in my country on such a large scale. You would be as shocked to learn about these things as I was. Believe me!

Timeline

Hi. I would like to ask for information. I plan to go to the United States in February, and the wedding will be celebrated on March 4. The fiancée visa will expire on May 7, however the embassy has Put a note saying I have to travel before April 9th. Will there be a problem if I travel in February?

Thank you!

There shouldn't be any problem with your timeline to travel. It is all within the parameters of the visa you are receiving, as you have explained it.

Best wishes on your wedding and marriage. Congratulations.

Timeline

Does the UCLA help people from other countries? I wasn't aware.

UCLA is a university in California. I'm assuming you meant ACLU...Well, I am a US citizen and I would be the one requesting help. My fiance was my guest in my country so yes, they would be helpful. They are helpful to anyone who is within our borders and they assist immigrants all the time. A violation of civil rights in the United States is a violation of civil rights....and while one is present in this country, he/she is entitled to certain inalienable rights.

Timeline

I tend to have a tender heart, but the detention to me sounds legitimate. If, in fact they could not get aa direct flight out to hi a country it does indeed make sense.

United Airlines actually confirmed there were other flights available in the few days preceding. Unfortunately, I am lead to believe otherwise and because of the way the CBP officer treated him when he returned for his departure, I believe it even more. After NEVER being in trouble for anything, never being in jail, never committing a crime and being detained among general population of an adult correctional facility, what kind of government official (or ANY decent person) looks at a person directly in their face and asks them, "Did you have fun?"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

United Airlines actually confirmed there were other flights available in the few days preceding. Unfortunately, I am lead to believe otherwise and because of the way the CBP officer treated him when he returned for his departure, I believe it even more. After NEVER being in trouble for anything, never being in jail, never committing a crime and being detained among general population of an adult correctional facility, what kind of government official (or ANY decent person) looks at a person directly in their face and asks them, "Did you have fun?"

if you think that'sbad you should see how some police officers treat others.

Timeline

if you think that'sbad you should see how some police officers treat others.

I do...and the treatment I have described here is not the sum of it.

But yes, you're right about that! It's really a shame that persons in power sometimes abuse that power....The same system that was set up to protects us, often destroys us. It's sad :(

UCLA is a university in California. I'm assuming you meant ACLU...Well, I am a US citizen and I would be the one requesting help. My fiance was my guest in my country so yes, they would be helpful. They are helpful to anyone who is within our borders and they assist immigrants all the time. A violation of civil rights in the United States is a violation of civil rights....and while one is present in this country, he/she is entitled to certain inalienable rights.

:oops: lol yes ACLU :whistle: Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

To detain someone for 4 days is abuse of his inalienable rights, since he's being coming and going. Refer to ACLU asap.

Wish you well in your visa journey!

He isn't an American. He has no inalienable rights.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

I beg to differ....

Our constitution pretty much covers every human being just because they exist. There are certain rights that are ONLY for US Citizens, but the remaining parts of the US Constitution are for everyone....

https://www.quora.com/Does-the-U-S-Constitution-apply-to-foreigners-in-America-Can-a-foreigner-refer-to-the-Fifth-Amendment-of-the-Constitution

:ot: On a side note: It's ironic how some people on VJ seem to act/feel/believe they are somehow superior to a foreigner just because they are US Citizens. PEOPLE HAVE RIGHTS FOR THE SIMPLE FACT THAT THEY ARE PEOPLE!!!! (not because of where they came from) :rolleyes:

While i understand you are upset because you belive they mistreated your fiancee...its a risk he takes as well as many people visiting take when trying to enter the US.

His country unfortunatly had no flights. Although united had flights you dont know if the government has a deal with another airline to transport people home.

Second jokes from cpb about his prison stay would be hear say.

While a 4 day detention is wrong its also right to the cpb officer who was doing his job.

Had your fiancee had a round trip booked this may possibly have gone different.

Also, who knows what the interview revealed to cpb to consider your fiancee a non-immigrant with immigrant intent.

This is why America is fed up with all the rights and rules afforded people not of the USA we paid his 4 day stay and return home. And the ACLU will take time to defend this....

Thus the reason we now have ghe new govenment taking office in January.

America is fed up.

Edited by Anitafeliz

K1 March Filer 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

PS.

I am a born USC i had a run in with CPB entering the US in JFk.

CPb detained me for a few hours trying to decifer if i was another person with my same name.

When i tried to speedy up the process because i had a connecting flight home that was bording....i was told until we allow you entry you are no one and have no.rights take a seat miss.

I missed my flight i had to sleep in the airport and could not leave because i was on standby due to missing my actual connecting flight...

i had to pay more for parking for new flight missed time at work as i had to miss the day.

Also my mother was inconvenienced with my child.

She also missed work.

PS my family had no idea what happend to me while i was detained as i was not allowed use of my cellular device.

Im a USC..... once CPB says I am.

Just take into account because people cross our borders daily CPB has to have one mask with EVERYONE.

NO one has right to this country until that passport is stamped admitted.

This is what we all go through due to the diverse culture in the USA.

Move one go to your interview and file waivers if requested.

You have had to alien spouce and fiancee admited to the us your not a target.

Edited by Anitafeliz

K1 March Filer 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.