Dakine10

Mayor in West Virginia resigns after racist Michelle Obama post

80 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Wow. Has it really only been a week since the election?

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — A West Virginia mayor resigned her post Tuesday following a backlash after she posted a response to a racist comment about first lady Michelle Obama on Facebook.

The Clay Town Council accepted Mayor Beverly Whaling's resignation in a meeting late Tuesday afternoon and said it would act quickly to name a replacement for the remaining three years of her term.

Council member Jason Hubbard issued a brief statement condemning the "horrific" post and said "racial intolerance isn't what this community is about." He apologized on behalf of the town to anyone who is offended, including Michelle Obama.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mayor-in-west-virginia-resigns-after-racist-obama-post/ar-AAkkrNJ?li=BBnb7Kz

QCjgyJZ.jpg

GOOD. This is appropriate. He belongs nowhere in government.

Now, if he gets banned from speaking at a university in 20 years because of this, I'll be concerned.

Edited by JayJayH

Tell me was it Racist when Bill M called Trump an ape ?

Donald Trump Sues Bill Maher for Calling Him the Son of an Orangutan

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederickallen/2013/02/06/donald-trump-sues-bill-maher-for-calling-him-the-son-of-an-orangutan/#26b04ca81665

How about this. Does this offend anyone

Billy Baldwin on Trump: 'He’s Like a Baboon of a Child'

https://pjmedia.com/election/2016/07/27/billy-baldwin-on-trump-hes-like-a-baboon-of-a-child/

Tell me was it Racist when Bill M called Trump an ape ?

Donald Trump Sues Bill Maher for Calling Him the Son of an Orangutan

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederickallen/2013/02/06/donald-trump-sues-bill-maher-for-calling-him-the-son-of-an-orangutan/#26b04ca81665

How about this. Does this offend anyone

Billy Baldwin on Trump: 'He’s Like a Baboon of a Child'

https://pjmedia.com/election/2016/07/27/billy-baldwin-on-trump-hes-like-a-baboon-of-a-child/

I didn't know Bill Maher held and represented a public office, when did this happen?

It offended Trump.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

You tell me. You have this conversation every other day. Let's see what you've learned.

Well I don't see how we are going to ever move into a post racial society, when we treat black people like some protected class of endangered species instead of just treating them like and holding them to the same standard as everyone else.

So you tell me how can it be ok to call Trump an Ape but it be terribly offensive to call Chelly an Ape, unless you somehow fell Mrs Obama is different some how and we should treat her different because of the pigment of her skin . Of course if you agree with that, you know what that makes you

82999534ghebe_sm.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Well I don't see how we are going to ever move into a post racial society, when we treat black people like some protected class of endangered species instead of just treating them like and holding them to the same standard as everyone else.

So you tell me how can it be ok to call Trump an Ape but it be terribly offensive to call Chelly an Ape, unless you somehow fell Mrs Obama is different some how and we should treat her different because of the pigment of her skin . Of course if you agree with that, you know what that makes you

As a reminder, we were talking about racism.

I do think it's offensive, insulting, poor taste to call Trump an ape, and I think it's crossing the line to bring someones parents into it, and even more so after they are deceased. However none of that is racism.

I don't consider either instance acceptable behavior, although i would hold a government official to a higher standard than a stand up comedian with a talk show.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Timeline

So is it racism to call Michelle an ape?

As a reminder, we were talking about racism.

I do think it's offensive, insulting, poor taste to call Trump an ape, and I think it's crossing the line to bring someones parents into it, and even more so after they are deceased. However none of that is racism.

I don't consider either instance acceptable behavior, although i would hold a government official to a higher standard than a stand up comedian with a talk show.

Filed: Timeline

If that is how you really think, then you are part of the problem, not the solution. Michelle Obama and Donald Trump are of the same race... The human race. Until you can stop seeing skin color as a dividing line between classes of humans, you will never be truly able to accept others who are different from you. You really need to get on board with the concept that we are all equal. For goodness' sake, we have had a half white/half black man running our country for 8 years now. Can't we just accept that we are all human? Cannot we agree that to disparage another, regardless of their color or culture, is inappropriate?

I suppose if white people were once kept on exhibit in the Bronx zoo by African Americans, you would have an argument for why that context would work both ways. But it never happened that way in America. It only happened "one way". There are no rules. It's called history.

It's offensive and demeaning to call a Donald Trump an orangutan, but there is no context there in that statement to make that racist. What you refer to as hypocritical is your failure to understand the difference.

A second thing that should be apparent is that Bill Maher and Donald Trump are both white. I'm not sure what your understanding of racism is as a concept, but it takes a complete failure of logic not to realize that a white person calling another white person a monkey cannot fit under any definition of racism. It's an insult. There's no race involved.