Charming12

Driving License

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Hello VJ Members,

I just moved to US few days ago on K1 visa and I just want to inquire about the Driving license? Am I allow to apply for driving license? I know I need to apply for Adjustment of status and work permit which will take three to 4 months. Is it also applies for driving license? Can I apply for it prior to my approval of adjustment of status?

Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks

Kind Regards

Hello VJ Members,

I just moved to US few days ago on K1 visa and I just want to inquire about the Driving license? Am I allow to apply for driving license? I know I need to apply for Adjustment of status and work permit which will take three to 4 months. Is it also applies for driving license? Can I apply for it prior to my approval of adjustment of status?

Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks

Kind Regards

every state has their own rules for licenses so you should contact your local DMV for information. I believe it's best to wait for ead

Timeline

Thanks all for your reply.

But in my case I didnt get any SSN neither do I have approval of AOS or others. As I said, I moved last week so I really dont have any US sort of documents.

Also, I tried to contact DMV but in vain:(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Thanks all for your reply.

But in my case I didnt get any SSN neither do I have approval of AOS or others. As I said, I moved last week so I really dont have any US sort of documents.

Also, I tried to contact DMV but in vain:(

Go to SSN office and get your SSN number :) I went 2 days after getting here and it came a week later in the mail.

Timeline

How can I get SSN number? I havent got married yet?We are planning to get marry at the end of this month

Just go to the office with you papers. Birth certificate, I-94, passport, SSN-form (this you can fill out at the place) and ask for the SSN number.

It's very simple.

If you take your husbands name after marriage then you will have to go back later and get it changed.

Timeline

Thanks again dear for your response.

But i dont have I-94 form. The original birth certificate is already with CBP in sealed pakage so I just only have photocopy of birth certificate.

Right now i just only have passport with k1 visa on it and copy of my birth certificate

Timeline

Thanks again dear for your response.

But i dont have I-94 form. The original birth certificate is already with CBP in sealed pakage so I just only have photocopy of birth certificate.

Right now i just only have passport with k1 visa on it and copy of my birth certificate

google I-94 it online and you just print it out (you will also need this one for you AOS)

The photocopy of your birth certificate should be good but you won't get your original back so maybe see if you can get extra from Norway for the future.

You need to read up on some of all these things since you need some of it for your AOS and so on.

You normally don't have to wait for AOS in order to get driving license. I'm in North Carolina, so other states may vary.

You're generally legal to drive in the US on your foreign license for a specified period, eg up to a year. However states may have their own rules, in NC you have to get an NC license within 60 days after taking up permanent residence, and it was unclear whether that means from when you get your greencard or when you arrive in US to live permanently. The DMV officials I spoke to said it was from when I moved to the US.

It made sense to take my driving test as soon as I could (after getting married) since I could drive to and from the DMV legally (as a British license holder) and our insurance covered me (no need for learner driver insurance). I passed (test was very easy).

In NC they only give you a license up to the expiry of your legal presence. So in my case this was the expiry of my i94, just a couple of months after my test. I'd only be able to extend once I got my one-year EAD combo card.

So my license expired (and I did not drive) but fortunately my EAD card came just a week or so later and I was able to renew my license (with no additional test).

My advice would be to do the same - take the test while you are still legal to drive on your existing foreign license, and then if need be renew it when you legal status is extended after filing for AOS.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I have a question, at what Point to i apply for a Social Security number? I have a k1Visa. Is it before Or After marriage? Or does it come automatically when the AOS is filled and plus i Would Start using my Husbands Name . Please advice.

Timeline

I have a question, at what Point to i apply for a Social Security number? I have a k1Visa. Is it before Or After marriage? Or does it come automatically when the AOS is filled and plus i Would Start using my Husbands Name . Please advice.

You should start you own thread.

but

SSN can be applied before or after marriage. Some will say it's easier to get before marriage and then go back and change name after marriage.

You must do it all before I-94 date expire otherwise you'll have to wait for the EAD card to do it.

Look at the guides there is a guide for it.

No it does not come automatically in anyway for K-1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.