nifiance

UK Vaccinations for K1

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I got an email from Knightsbridge doctors today about the vaccinations and they sent me a list of what vaccines I need to show proof of on the day of my medical. I have a couple of questions. I have had chicken pox, so should I get that vaccine when I'm there? Also, hepatitis B is "no" on the list but I still need it for my AOS so I want to get all the vaccines before I move. Does anyone have any experience with this? I want to know the extensive list of what I definitely need.

Met: May 15, 2013

Engaged: May 21, 2015

Our K1 Process

Filed I-129F: August 8, 2016

NOA1: August 15, 2016

NOA2: September 15, 2016

NVC Received: October 13, 2016

NVC Left: October 17, 2016

Consulate Received: October 24, 2016

London Medical: November 23, 2016

Interview: December 7, 2016

Arrived in US: December 29, 2016

Married!!!!: February 11, 2017

Our AOS Process:

Filed: August 15, 2017

Signed for: August 20, 2017

NOA1: August 29, 2017

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I got an email from Knightsbridge doctors today about the vaccinations and they sent me a list of what vaccines I need to show proof of on the day of my medical. I have a couple of questions. I have had chicken pox, so should I get that vaccine when I'm there? Also, hepatitis B is "no" on the list but I still need it for my AOS so I want to get all the vaccines before I move. Does anyone have any experience with this? I want to know the extensive list of what I definitely need.

If you have had chicken pox then you are immune to it so a vaccine won't help you anything, wouldn't make sense!

All my husband needed (since his primary doctor was unable to find his old records) was an MMR booster. After that, no others have been required.

K-1
03/09/12 - NoA1
10/04/12 - NoA2 (210 days)

AoS

01/25/13 - NoA1
08/15/13 - NoA2 (199 days)

RoC
05/21/15 - NoA1

11/02/15 - NoA2 (164 days)

N-400

08/18/16 - NoA1
03/14/17 - Interview

03/16/17 - Oath Ceremony (217 days)

US citizen

Total time start to finish: 5 years, 12 days (1,838 days)

Timeline

If you need any vaccines i would advise you if you can to get them done at your local drs surgery as Knightsbridge charge a small fortunate for their vaccines. Because i couldnt find my mmr record i had it done here just before the Aos interview.

Timeline

Did you guys have to get the hep b vaccines and varicella for your AOS too?

Our K1 Process

Our AOS Process:

Did you guys have to get the hep b vaccines and varicella for your AOS too?

You do not need the Hep B vaccine at all. Not for the K1 visa and not for AOS either.

As for chicken pox, if you have had the chicken pox you do not need the vaccine. Tell them you have had chicken pox, and they will take your word for it. The vaccine is not given in the UK anyway.

As for the vaccinations you really need look at the first page of the London specific guide: These are what will typically be applicable as long as you are not a child or teenager: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide-do-not-post-questions-in-thread/

Keep the following in mind: MMR is a two dose shot that needs to be spaced out. My husband opted to get both doses and the rest of the applicable shots given by his GP before even seeing Knightsbridge many weeks ahead of time. However, if you only have received one dose of MMR by the time of the appointment within the time frame mentioned in the London specific guide, you will be waived from having the second dose.

As always it is advisable to receive all shots required before the Knightsbridge visit (cheaper at your GP or Boots) or during the Knightsbridge visit, or else you will need to receive them in the US for AOS. Once you receive them you do not need any others for AOS.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

So what vaccines did you need? Like, what ones are essential for AOS?

You do not need the Hep B vaccine at all. Not for the K1 visa and not for AOS either.

As for chicken pox, if you have had the chicken pox you do not need the vaccine. Tell them you have had chicken pox, and they will take your word for it. The vaccine is not given in the UK anyway.

As for the vaccinations you really need look at the first page of the London specific guide: These are what will typically be applicable as long as you are not a child or teenager: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide-do-not-post-questions-in-thread/

Keep the following in mind: MMR is a two dose shot that needs to be spaced out. My husband opted to get both doses and the rest of the applicable shots given by his GP before even seeing Knightsbridge many weeks ahead of time. However, if you only have received one dose of MMR by the time of the appointment within the time frame mentioned in the London specific guide, you will be waived from having the second dose.

As always it is advisable to receive all shots required before the Knightsbridge visit (cheaper at your GP or Boots) or during the Knightsbridge visit, or else you will need to receive them in the US for AOS. Once you receive them you do not need any others for AOS.

Can you let me know which ones are essential for AOS? I don't want to have to get them if I absolutely don't have to.

Our K1 Process

Our AOS Process:

So what vaccines did you need? Like, what ones are essential for AOS?

Can you let me know which ones are essential for AOS? I don't want to have to get them if I absolutely don't have to.

Go to your NHS doctor and get the immunizations you will need for Adjustment of Status. You can get a K1 visa without having any shots, but you will need them before AOS. It’s extremely wise to take care of it before getting to the US so you can avoid civil surgeon hassles and $$$. Many NHS doctors will do them for free, but they are not obligated to do so for immigration purposes. Get the shots documented by your doctor to take to your visa medical exam. If your doctor should say you don’t need something on this list, remember you have to go by US rules and that differs from UK standards. Here are the shots needed for 19 through 59 years of age:

• Td or Tdap - Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis or get DT, DTP or DtaP and it will be accepted for AOS also. The latest shot must be no longer than 10 years ago or you need a booster. If you have a record of receiving pertussis, then the Td is okay for the booster.
  • MMR - (if born in 1957 or later)-Mumps/measles/rubella. It's two doses in your life, but if you get the first dose, and 4 weeks haven't passed by your medical, they will waive the second dose for "insufficient time interval". If you only had one dose as a child, get a second one before the medical.
  • Varicella - Not routinely given in the UK . A history of having chickenpox excuses you from the shot. They take your word for it at the visa medical exam.
  • Influenza – Required during flu season only, October 1 through March 31. This was a new recommendation dated November 2010 for all ages over 6 months. Older lists will say flu shots for over age 50. It changed. The list on the London embassy website is out of date since 2009. Don’t follow it.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide-do-not-post-questions-in-thread/

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

• 7 months later...
Timeline

Hello.

Apologies for digging up an old(ish) thread. I received my NOA2 and am getting my self ready for my medical and the interview. I have a record of my vaccinations and just want to confirm what I will need before Knightsbridge.

I've had 5 DT & Polio vaccinations in my life but the last booster was in 2004, so I am booked in for another Tetnus booster tomorrow. Is that all I need to satisfy the 'Td or Tdap' requirement? Or do I need to make sure I have it for Diptheria and Pertussis as well?

And is there a time frame for the MMR shots? I've had both already, but the booster was more than 10 years ago.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
12 hours ago, shoesoff said:

Hello.

Apologies for digging up an old(ish) thread. I received my NOA2 and am getting my self ready for my medical and the interview. I have a record of my vaccinations and just want to confirm what I will need before Knightsbridge.

I've had 5 DT & Polio vaccinations in my life but the last booster was in 2004, so I am booked in for another Tetnus booster tomorrow. Is that all I need to satisfy the 'Td or Tdap' requirement? Or do I need to make sure I have it for Diptheria and Pertussis as well?

And is there a time frame for the MMR shots? I've had both already, but the booster was more than 10 years ago.

Thanks

Look over you immunization records carefully for pertussis, not polio. Got anything? It could be listed as a  4 in 1 vaccine DTaP/IPV with DTaP being Diptheria, Tetanus, acellular Pertussis and IPV being the polio part.  Or there is a 5 in 1 that also has the pertussis. Pertussis can also be called whooping cough.

MMR is two shots lifetime, no booster if you have record of two.

Timeline
22 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Look over you immunization records carefully for pertussis, not polio. Got anything? It could be listed as a  4 in 1 vaccine DTaP/IPV with DTaP being Diptheria, Tetanus, acellular Pertussis and IPV being the polio part.  Or there is a 5 in 1 that also has the pertussis. Pertussis can also be called whooping cough.

MMR is two shots lifetime, no booster if you have record of two.

I didn't have any Pertusis shots, so I'll be needing that one it looks like.
The nurse is very kindly finding out whether it's something they can give me as part of an imunization for travel request. Might cost too.
Apparently it's not within their guidelines to give it to anyone other than pregnant women (at least at my GP in Hampshire).

MMR I'm covered for.

Thanks for the help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, shoesoff said:

I didn't have any Pertusis shots, so I'll be needing that one it looks like.
The nurse is very kindly finding out whether it's something they can give me as part of an imunization for travel request. Might cost too.
Apparently it's not within their guidelines to give it to anyone other than pregnant women (at least at my GP in Hampshire).

MMR I'm covered for.

Thanks for the help!

My GP gave me DTP for free. That's the child version not recommended for teens and adults.  (It's stronger). He didn't seem to be bothered about the "rules" and didn't have any Tdap. Some GPs are not so easy. 

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone,
I received my NOA2 and am getting my self ready for my medical. I have a record of my vaccinations and just want to confirm what I will need before Knightsbridge.

1) I never had the MMR vaccination (Measles Mumps Rubella). I had Measles and Mumps diseases but not Rubella so I need to get vaccinated for the latter.
Is it worth getting tested for Measles and Mumps antibodies (65£ for each test at Knightsbridge) to prove I don't need vaccines for these 2? Single vaccines for these are not sold separately anymore so I would probably need to get the MMR vaccine anyway, correct?

2) I never got vaccinated for Hepatitis A, Influenza, Meningococcal, Pneumococcal and Rotavirus.
According to the UK embassy (https://uk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2015/11/vaccine_chart.pdf) you only need them if you're a child. Do I need them since I never got them as a child?
(Vaccines required according to the US Department of State: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/vaccinations.html)

- (I never had chicken pox and didn't get a vaccine so I will need to get it done before AOS - it's not sold in the UK)

3) Is getting vaccinated at Boots cheaper than Knightsbridge? I couldn't find the prices for Boots but other vendors have similar prices. Eg. http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/pg/42/VaccinationPrices

Thanks!! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.