Wisaacs

Brazilian K1 procedure

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi and thank you in advance for any response.

Having already paid and made the interview appointment, exactly how is the biometrics done and where? I know the medical is done one week before, but how does the biometrics fit in and they provide the finger printing service, correct?

Also, the police report is something my fiancee simply can obtain on line? We don't want to go overboard and i see bringing the two 5x5 cm photos, passport, police report, and some items showing we are still going strong together to bring to the interview sufficient. They will have all the I-129 documents available?

So if anyone has done this in brazil recently, we are just trying to confirm the small timeline we have left and not mess it up!

Thank you!

Timeline

They will have your I-129F package at hand, yes.

Police clearance can be obtained online, yes. Both federal and state police.

You have to schedule the medical exam, it can be done anytime before your interview, but due to the new urine exam, it takes 5 business days for the exams to be ready. Then you can either pick it up at the doctor's office or have them mail it to the consulate.

And good luck to you!

Timeline

Thats great and thank you. But is the biometrics a different meeting? Like other than the medical exam? And i think based on what i read they do the fingerprinting during the interview? Sorry but those the other points im not clear on.

Ill take a look at the link thank you so much.

Timeline

Thats great and thank you. But is the biometrics a different meeting? Like other than the medical exam? And i think based on what i read they do the fingerprinting during the interview? Sorry but those the other points im not clear on.

Ill take a look at the link thank you so much.

That I don't know, since I'm currently waiting for my medical and interview. But I would assume that they will do biometrics at the interview.

Timeline

Well if you know it would help us a great deal. I read many posts about biometrics but many are unrelated to a K1 process. My gf thinks she has to go before. but she is looking on line in Brazil. It would be great to know if the biometrics are done during the interview so if you know please let us know. If that is when they fingerprint you it makes sense its during the interview. I mean what else do they do included in the "biometrics"? Thank you for your responses :)

Timeline

Actually aside from the fingerprints i think this term biomettics is something that comes later. I think just a medical exam gets done and fingerprinting at the interview. Is that your understanding?

Timeline

Well if you know it would help us a great deal. I read many posts about biometrics but many are unrelated to a K1 process. My gf thinks she has to go before. but she is looking on line in Brazil. It would be great to know if the biometrics are done during the interview so if you know please let us know. If that is when they fingerprint you it makes sense its during the interview. I mean what else do they do included in the "biometrics"? Thank you for your responses :)

I honestly don't know my friend... when it comes to non immigrant visa, yes... the biometrics are done prior to the interview. But not for the K-1 Visa. Maybe that's why your girlfriend thinks she needs to go beforehand.

Soon someone that knows more than I do will come up and give you more details. Wish I could be of more help, but I'm still on this journey myself, just like you!

Good luck!

Timeline

Initiating this was good. For sure no biometric appt is needed for K1 you were right they just fingerprint at the interview.

Thank you and good luck to you!!

Biometrics is for AOS, not for the consular phase.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My fiance and I are wrapping up this process and we are awaiting the return of his passport nearly 4 weeks after the interview. Although they took fingerprints from him during the interview at the Consulate, Biometrics is a process that happens in the US when your fiance applies to adjust status after your marriage.

A word of caution on State Police Certificates in Brazil: While the Federal certificate IS available online and many State certificates are as well, NOT all states provide Police Certificates online. We learned this the hard way when we brought what we thought was a State Police Certificate obtained online and it was not the correct document. My fiance was sent home to obtain the correct certificate IN PERSON from the State Police in Rio Grande do Norte.

Just be sure that if you do download a document, that it is the exact document asked for in the requirements (Certificado de Antecedentes provided by the Secretaria de Seguranca Publica e da Defesa Social in your fiance's state).

Good luck!

K1

02/11/16 - Form I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

08/30/16 - Rio Consulate Interview - 221(g) - Incorrect State Police Certificate submitted - case approved pending submission of correct certificate

09/26/16 - Passport received (with K1 Visa)

10/04/16 - POE Atlanta

10/24/16 - SSN application submitted

10/29/16 - Marriage

AOS

11/10/16 - Forms I-485, I-765, and I-131 mailed to Chicago lockbox

12/21/16 - Biometrics Appointment - St Paul, MN

02/13/17 - I-765, I-131 Approved: New Card is being Produced

05/08/17 - I-485 NOA2 text and e-mail received (Approved - no interview)

05/13/17 - Conditional (2-year) Green Card Received

ROC

02/12/2019 - Form I-751 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

08/27/2019 - Biometrics (Walk-In) - St Paul, MN

12/17/2019 - I-751 Approved: New Card is being Produced (NO Interview)

12/21/2019 - 10-year Green Card received via USPS

N-400

02/08/2020 - Form N-400 Submitted Online

03/02/2020 - Biometrics Appointment - St Paul MN

02/22/2021 - N-400 Interview - Minneapolis, MN - APPROVED

Here's the list of items my fiancee brought for his interview in Rio de Janeiro last October:

1. A copy of the letter announcing his interview appointment;
  2. Two frontal photographs showing both ears (5 X 5cm) lightly print your name in pencil on the back of each one, being careful that it doesn’t damage the front of the photo;
  3. Valid passport (at least eight months validity remaining);
  4. Receipt for the visa fee that was paid online (he paid it at the time the interview was scheduled);
  5. Form DS-160 filled out online. Please print and bring only the barcode confirmation page;
  6. Application for Immigrant Visaform DS 230I (only first page should be completed and signed);
  7. Sworn statement (for fiancées only) with a simple copy;
  8. Original Birth Certificate (even if previously married) with a simple copy;
  9. Termination of previous marriages (if applicable) with a simple copy;
  10. Police Certificate(s) - From the Federal Police with a simple copy;
  11. Police Certificate(s) - From the State Police (Secretaria de Segurança Pública) with a simple copy;
  12. Financial Support - Affidavit of Support (I134 Form) from the US citizen, including supporting documents with a simple copy (this includes the US citizen's prior year tax return and W-2);
  13. Sealed envelope of Medical Examination Report (if this is not mailed to the embassy by the doctor);
  14. Complete Court Records, judicial situation, including processes in Brazil and in the U.S. (if applicable) with a simple copy;
  15. He also brought copies of all the documents I had sent as part of the I-129F petition, but he was never asked for them

This is the website where you can request a police certificate from the states which provide the ability to request one online:

https://br.usembassy.gov/visas/list-public-security-secretariats/

The "biometrics" at the interview consisted of the embassy taking his fingerprints. That was it.

I went to Rio for his interview and found the entire process pretty simple/easy. There were about 15 couples there that day and all were approved. As long as you have all your documentation, and you are in a bona fide relationship, you should be fine, so take a deep breath and try to relax!

Good luck!!!

Timeline

Here's the list of items my fiancee brought for his interview in Rio de Janeiro last October:

• A copy of the letter announcing his interview appointment;
  • Two frontal photographs showing both ears (5 X 5cm) lightly print your name in pencil on the back of each one, being careful that it doesnt damage the front of the photo;
  • Valid passport (at least eight months validity remaining);
  • Receipt for the visa fee that was paid online (he paid it at the time the interview was scheduled);
  • Form DS-160 filled out online. Please print and bring only the barcode confirmation page;
  • Application for Immigrant Visaform DS 230I (only first page should be completed and signed);
  • Sworn statement (for fiancées only) with a simple copy;
  • Original Birth Certificate (even if previously married) with a simple copy;
  • Termination of previous marriages (if applicable) with a simple copy;
  • Police Certificate(s) - From the Federal Police with a simple copy;
  • Police Certificate(s) - From the State Police (Secretaria de Segurança Pública) with a simple copy;
  • Financial Support - Affidavit of Support (I134 Form) from the US citizen, including supporting documents with a simple copy (this includes the US citizen's prior year tax return and W-2);
  • Sealed envelope of Medical Examination Report (if this is not mailed to the embassy by the doctor);
  • Complete Court Records, judicial situation, including processes in Brazil and in the U.S. (if applicable) with a simple copy;
  • He also brought copies of all the documents I had sent as part of the I-129F petition, but he was never asked for them
This is the website where you can request a police certificate from the states which provide the ability to request one online:

https://br.usembassy.gov/visas/list-public-security-secretariats/

The "biometrics" at the interview consisted of the embassy taking his fingerprints. That was it.

I went to Rio for his interview and found the entire process pretty simple/easy. There were about 15 couples there that day and all were approved. As long as you have all your documentation, and you are in a bona fide relationship, you should be fine, so take a deep breath and try to relax!

Good luck!!!

Your Visa was K-1? Because there's nothing on the instructions about filling the DS 230 form. I just filled out the DS160.

Timeline

My fiance and I are wrapping up this process and we are awaiting the return of his passport nearly 4 weeks after the interview. Although they took fingerprints from him during the interview at the Consulate, Biometrics is a process that happens in the US when your fiance applies to adjust status after your marriage.

A word of caution on State Police Certificates in Brazil: While the Federal certificate IS available online and many State certificates are as well, NOT all states provide Police Certificates online. We learned this the hard way when we brought what we thought was a State Police Certificate obtained online and it was not the correct document. My fiance was sent home to obtain the correct certificate IN PERSON from the State Police in Rio Grande do Norte.

Just be sure that if you do download a document, that it is the exact document asked for in the requirements (Certificado de Antecedentes provided by the Secretaria de Seguranca Publica e da Defesa Social in your fiance's state).

Good luck!

Now that's weird... which document you brought to the interview and thought it was Police Certificate? What's written on it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.