14 posts in this topic

*~*~*moved from "CR-1 spouse visa process and procedures" to "NVC discussion" as post relates to escalation procedures within the NVC*~*~*

I have asked a mod to remove your personal details and case number from your post. This is a public forum and although the members are nice and friendly, the lurkers may not be so.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Op edited to remove case numbers and full names. For your privacy and safety, please never post full names, email or postal addresses, phone or case numbers online *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Update:

The petition was sent to the Consulate in Sydney on 9/7/2016. I contacted the Consulate and they confirmed that they were waiting on the paperwork to arrive, that it has already been flagged for fast track and they would inform us immediately when they receive it. I have not heard from them as of this writing.

Whilst I am pleased to hear that you have been successful with your expedite request, I think it is prudent to advise others that the reasons you have supplied in your request for an expedite are not usually successful. The financial hardship amounts to a party that has been planned for less than a year after you submitted the I-130. I don't know where you got the information that this process takes 8 months. The USCIS stage alone (according to USCIS themselves) can take up to 6 months. I have not seen any official source stating that the whole process from filing I-130 to POE taking 8 months. Sure, there are people who get through this quicker than that but they are the exception, not the norm. The department of state website and the embassy websites strongly encourage applicants not to make any financial commitments, buy tickets, sell homes, quit jobs, etc until the visa has been received.

I won't comment on your wife's emotional hardship because we all deal with this in different ways. Some people cope better than others. I know you had a rough ride at NVC with waiting over 6 weeks for your package to even be looked at but on the other hand you had a much quicker journey though the USCIS than many people had (myself included). We are all upset that we are apart from our spouses, not one of us is enjoying this process. For every case that is pulled to the front of the line, the rest of us wait that little bit longer.

Maybe there was something else that granted your expedite that you don't wish to share - that's your prerogative. But I wouldn't want people to think NVC will look favourably upon every request to expedite where someone's relatives have purchased plane tickets that cannot be refunded.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Whilst I am pleased to hear that you have been successful with your expedite request, I think it is prudent to advise others that the reasons you have supplied in your request for an expedite are not usually successful. The financial hardship amounts to a party that has been planned for less than a year after you submitted the I-130. I don't know where you got the information that this process takes 8 months. The USCIS stage alone (according to USCIS themselves) can take up to 6 months. I have not seen any official source stating that the whole process from filing I-130 to POE taking 8 months. Sure, there are people who get through this quicker than that but they are the exception, not the norm. The department of state website and the embassy websites strongly encourage applicants not to make any financial commitments, buy tickets, sell homes, quit jobs, etc until the visa has been received.

I won't comment on your wife's emotional hardship because we all deal with this in different ways. Some people cope better than others. I know you had a rough ride at NVC with waiting over 6 weeks for your package to even be looked at but on the other hand you had a much quicker journey though the USCIS than many people had (myself included). We are all upset that we are apart from our spouses, not one of us is enjoying this process. For every case that is pulled to the front of the line, the rest of us wait that little bit longer.

Maybe there was something else that granted your expedite that you don't wish to share - that's your prerogative. But I wouldn't want people to think NVC will look favourably upon every request to expedite where someone's relatives have purchased plane tickets that cannot be refunded.

Well said!

To put it bluntly, we are all depressed and away from our spouses. And it is common knowledge not to make or pay for any arrangements until you have your visa in hand.

Congratulations on your expedite and I wish you all the best, but your reasoning is no different from anyone else that applies and goes through the process.

Edited by entertained777

Well said!

To put it bluntly, we are all depressed and away from our spouses. And it is common knowledge not to make or pay for any arrangements until you have your visa in hand.

Congratulations on your expedite and I wish you all the best, but your reasoning is no different from anyone else that applies and goes through the process.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Rwanda
Timeline

But really, isn't this what SHOULD happen when there is a delay through the fault of NVC? This poster isn't having his case pushed ahead of other people, the case is being caught up to where it should have been in the first place. It isn't slowing other people down.

I read this wondering if I should also ask for expedite, since I also had a possible 4 weeks added to my waiting time through no fault of my own; but even though I think my reasons are at least as valid, I'm afraid the request would be denied and possibly add even more time on. It's rough watching pretty much everyone else with scan dates later than mine forge ahead.

I wonder if the expedite was granted because of NVC's initial error, rather than because of the reasons outlined.

12/14 Met at work in Rwanda

2/21/15 Became a couple

11/19/15 Married

11/23/15 I left Rwanda 

12/30/15 Mailed I-130

1/06/16 NOA1

5/03/16 NOA2!

5/06/16 NVC received case

5/20/16 Case number assigned

5/23/16 Email from NVC with case number

5/23/16 Choice of Agent filled out, AOS fee invoiced and paid

5/31/16 Called NVC, reviewed I-261 over the phone

6/02/16 IV bill invoiced and paid

7/28/16 Finally! All police clearances and birth certificate received; mailed IV and AOS; filed I-260

8/04/16 Official scan date (tracking shows "delivered" the day before)

8/15/16 Visiting my husband! 10 days

9/01/16 Received checklist in error, claiming our application was on hold because of a waiver application we never filed

9/02/16 Sent for supervisor review, six week timeframe given

9/13/16 Sent for "document review", whatever that is, told the timeframe is now indefinite

9/20/16 Contacted US Representative Adam Smith's office for assistance (WA)

9/26/16 3 N/As and Case Complete!

11/14/16 Interview: approved pending medical! (Vaccines hadn't been available)

11/19/16 Visa received in passport

12/09/16 POE Seattle

03/06/17 Green card received (address changed after POE, no problem)

5/2017 Our baby is due

• 1 month later...

But really, isn't this what SHOULD happen when there is a delay through the fault of NVC? This poster isn't having his case pushed ahead of other people, the case is being caught up to where it should have been in the first place. It isn't slowing other people down.

I read this wondering if I should also ask for expedite, since I also had a possible 4 weeks added to my waiting time through no fault of my own; but even though I think my reasons are at least as valid, I'm afraid the request would be denied and possibly add even more time on. It's rough watching pretty much everyone else with scan dates later than mine forge ahead.

I wonder if the expedite was granted because of NVC's initial error, rather than because of the reasons outlined.

I agree with you, I think the expedite was granted because it really should have passed through nvc by the timeframe - regardless of how long USCIS took. I'm hoping they are completely through by now!

I myself have requested expedite not to jump the queue but our documents were misplaced for 9 weeks after USCIS approval so had our documents arrived within the 2-4 weeks we would be at interview stage now ?

May 5 - I-130 Received

June 17 - RFE Received

August 4 - NOA2
October 3 - USICIS sent to NVC
October 12 - NVC received (69 days in limbo)
? - case number assigned
? - AOS bill paid
? - call NVC to review DS-261 and get IV invoice unlocked
? - IV bill paid
? - submit DS-260
? - send IV/AOS package
? - scan date

? - cc

? - interview date

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Thank you for sharing!

engaged happy.png - February 2013

129F NOA1 receipt date- March 11, 2013 (NOA1 sent March 13, 2013)

Touched - Name spelling correction - March 20, 2013

Transferred to TSC - July 10, 2013

NOA2 - July 23 smile.png

Shipped to NVC - August 15

NVC Received - August 22

Auckland Consulate Received- August 28

Packet 3 Received - September 7

Medical - September 9

Packet 3 Sent - September 9

Packet 4 Received - Sept 11

Interview - Sept 19

Visa received - Sept 26

POE - 25 December luv.gif

Wedding - 11 January heart.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

****** this thread is over a year old and OP has not been back sie th day thy posted.  PLease ask questions about your own case in your own thread. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.