LoveuAlan

Has anyone else did the K-1 Fiance Visa themselves?

54 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We just was approved for 2 yr green card, EAD and Advanced Parole. Our suggestion for you is to take your time in completing form I 129F, follow the instructions to the T. Proofread it, have someone you trust to review your evidence, forms, etc. for example, it took me 12 days to complie the evidence, complete forms, make a checklist of what is required. Place in order of requested information by USCIS ( Make it easy for them to read, find the inofrmation and positive proof of your relationship. also, both of you do your homework about each other's family, how you met,where, etc. Keep originals and make copies that are legible.

Study other people's timelines to see the time it took to get each step approved and sent to the next department. I would say from start to finish you are looking from 6 to 12 months for 3 year green card. Verify your income that it meets their requirement for the number of people in our household including the two of you. USCIS only accepts line 22 ( taxable income) of your tax return. If you do not meet that requirement, have 3 times the requirement in approved assets ( you can find on USCIS website or instructions) or have a person who agrees to be a co sponsor. A co sponsor must include his/her household total of people along with yours.

If you follow the instructions, provide evidence, police certification from your applicant's country then it is a piece of cake.

Best of luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We just was approved for 2 yr green card, EAD and Advanced Parole. Our suggestion for you is to take your time in completing form I 129F, follow the instructions to the T. Proofread it, have someone you trust to review your evidence, forms, etc. for example, it took me 12 days to complie the evidence, complete forms, make a checklist of what is required. Place in order of requested information by USCIS ( Make it easy for them to read, find the inofrmation and positive proof of your relationship. also, both of you do your homework about each other's family, how you met,where, etc. Keep originals and make copies that are legible.

Study other people's timelines to see the time it took to get each step approved and sent to the next department. I would say from start to finish you are looking from 6 to 12 months for 3 year green card. Verify your income that it meets their requirement for the number of people in our household including the two of you. USCIS only accepts line 22 ( taxable income) of your tax return. If you do not meet that requirement, have 3 times the requirement in approved assets ( you can find on USCIS website or instructions) or have a person who agrees to be a co sponsor. A co sponsor must include his/her household total of people along with yours.

If you follow the instructions, provide evidence, police certification from your applicant's country then it is a piece of cake.

Best of luck

1. His job is a policeman, and he was in the Russian army before as well when he was younger for only 1 year. Do he need to get any special documents?

Timeline

I have other questions i forgot to add:

1. My fiances job in Russia, He was a policeman. Do you think they will deny him entry into America because he used to be a police?

2. What about things that require his signature...am I suppose to send them in the mail for him and than have him send them back to me?

3. Also I have a low income, but I do not use any public benefits, or well fare etc. I have someone who will be the sponsor, so do we both fill out the same form?

4. On the form I 129 where it asks for my address (in care of)... I live at my job, do I put my jobs address...it's a home address...but i'm wondering do i have to put the family that i work for name in the (in care of) section...or do i just fill out their address as my address since I live there too?

5. When I fill out his address it's a little difficult, because addresses in Russia are not the same order as in here in America...I don't know what province to put...he's from a village. I have his full address, but i don't know what goes where basically

Edited by LoveuAlan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok I will deffinetly remember to photo copy them. Do i keep the originals or do I give the originals to USCIS? Also they are written in Russian from his parents'. I speak and understand Russian, but should i have them translated for the immigration USCIS?... Sorry for the tons of questions

I hope you don't mind if i ask, but are you more or less than 2 years divorced?

I would suggest sending the USCIS the photo copied versions. And translating the letters in Russian could also be a good idea. You can make note in your table of contents that letters, etc that are in Russian will be translated to English.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You can definitely do this on your own. Save your money for AOS later!

I would like to recommend some things that will help you:

1. Begin and keep an updated timeline. This will help others with some background info so they can answer any future questions you may have more accurately and easily.

2. Make a more complete profile that includes the type of visa applying for and country. This will direct your future topics to the correct forum and country portal, once again helping others to answer your questions more completely.

3. Use a PC or laptop. This will help you find the research and help tabs

4. Read and Research all help tabs. There is so much useful information in the guides, embassy info, wiki, example forms, form downloads, etc.

5. Use the search tool when you can't seem to find an answer. Some questions are frequently asked and have been answered in many other posts. The search tool is very helpful.

Good Luck!

:guides:

Timeline

My wife was born in Russia and lived in Ukraine. For r each country your fiancé lived in after 16 years old will need a police certification from. In Ukraine my wife had the local police do the report. She only lived in Ukraine after age 12 so she did not need a police certification from Russia.

Being a policeman will not be a reason to be denied, however, if he was a member of a communist party, sold weapons, drugs etc that might be reason not to allow him. I would suggest you call USCIS after compiling your questions for their response. First, read online on USCIS website for answers to your questions and the instructions for each form.

He must sign forms that require his signature, he can mail or fax you the signed forms just remember to keep all originals.

If you live with your employer then will your finance live there also. I am not positive about the requires for that situation, however, USCIS can answer it or you can make an appointment with your local USCIS field office to answer your questions. I made one appointment with my field office which took about 3 week time from date I made it. I was only with officer for about 6 minutes in my case with a 3 1/2 hour drive one way so make sure you have what they request from you with you and ask all your questions then. Your sponsor must fill ot a separate form meeting the requirements of I 864 form including their household members total along with your finance and you. For example, if your sponsor has 4 people living with them add 2 for you and your fiancé and behind the both of you your combined income must total 125% poverty level for household of 6 people. Your sponsor will be financially responsible for your fiancé as long as he is here or until he has paid into social security for 40 quarters( 10 years), he becomes a US naturalized citizen or he leaves the USA for good. Do not let this scare you but you need to be aware of it.

I think you must fill in the in care of section with your employer. ( question: have you worked at this job long? What is the outlook for your employment in the future.?)

Ukraine uses the same procedure for addresses as does Russia. We fill out the address as you would in Russia. Off the top of my mind, I think it goes name of country, region, district, street, apt # and then name.

If you follow the instructions and provide the evidence you will make it easier.

Your employment is not a problem but I can not give you advice on your living arrangement and how USCIS will look at it. If someone else does not give you their experience with this then call USCIS or make an appointment.

Timeline

My wife was born in Russia and lived in Ukraine. For r each country your fiancé lived in after 16 years old will need a police certification from. In Ukraine my wife had the local police do the report. She only lived in Ukraine after age 12 so she did not need a police certification from Russia.

Being a policeman will not be a reason to be denied, however, if he was a member of a communist party, sold weapons, drugs etc that might be reason not to allow him. I would suggest you call USCIS after compiling your questions for their response. First, read online on USCIS website for answers to your questions and the instructions for each form.

He must sign forms that require his signature, he can mail or fax you the signed forms just remember to keep all originals.

If you live with your employer then will your finance live there also. I am not positive about the requires for that situation, however, USCIS can answer it or you can make an appointment with your local USCIS field office to answer your questions. I made one appointment with my field office which took about 3 week time from date I made it. I was only with officer for about 6 minutes in my case with a 3 1/2 hour drive one way so make sure you have what they request from you with you and ask all your questions then. Your sponsor must fill ot a separate form meeting the requirements of I 864 form including their household members total along with your finance and you. For example, if your sponsor has 4 people living with them add 2 for you and your fiancé and behind the both of you your combined income must total 125% poverty level for household of 6 people. Your sponsor will be financially responsible for your fiancé as long as he is here or until he has paid into social security for 40 quarters( 10 years), he becomes a US naturalized citizen or he leaves the USA for good. Do not let this scare you but you need to be aware of it.

I think you must fill in the in care of section with your employer. ( question: have you worked at this job long? What is the outlook for your employment in the future.?)

Ukraine uses the same procedure for addresses as does Russia. We fill out the address as you would in Russia. Off the top of my mind, I think it goes name of country, region, district, street, apt # and then name.

If you follow the instructions and provide the evidence you will make it easier.

Your employment is not a problem but I can not give you advice on your living arrangement and how USCIS will look at it. If someone else does not give you their experience with this then call USCIS or make an appointment.

My fiance was born and raised in Russia so he'll just have to get one police document from Russia than.

I am an Aupair, so I live with the family I work for if that makes sense, and they will also be sponsoring him to come to USA. I have been in this just for about 2 months, but I will be living them for a long time, and so will my fiance be living with them. We will all be living together in one big house. There is 5 people plus my fiance and I who will be living here. So a total of 7 people in one house.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Is it going to be super difficult if I'm doing this all myself without a lawyer?

If we have all the relationship proof, and I filled the forms and everything correctly...is there anyway they can just deny him the visa...just for the heck of it?

Complex and time consuming but nothing hard or difficult.

Biggest part of the time we have spent with my wife was double and triple checking all forms and filled information.

read guides here + instruction pages for related forms on USCIS site and that should be enough.

Oh, what a day, what a lovely day!

My divorce was final only 5 months prior to my I-129 application for my now wife. Also, I'm 9.5 years older. USCIS did not care.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Timeline

Well you did a good job. I would like to know ....

1. what kind of proof did you submit for explaining you was separated from your ex for a long time before the divorce?

2. What kind of evidence did you submit for proof of bona fide relationship?

I'm facing a same issue. My girlfriend also 7 years older than me and she's divorced recently. She's a U.S LPR and i'm a Bangladeshi.

I just wrote a brief paragraph and said that we had already been separated before I met my fiancé and had filed for divorce before I went for my first visit. As long as you are legally divorced at the time of submitting your application, it should not be a problem as that is all that's required.

I submitted plane tickets and itineraries for visits in April and July and orbitz itinerary for my upcoming trip at the end of September which my daughter will also be coming.

I submitted about 5 photos from each visit including photo of me with his family, photos of our matching tattoos that say love, photos of us kissing and some in country train/bus tickets

I also wrote an explanation of how we met and a brief explanation of our time together in April and July.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I have processed my Visa packet myself, and instead of using a lawyer or a servicer company I have used the visa servicer websites instead only for my questions and answers. They want you to use their services for a large fee so they will definitely fill you in on their research of the questions you need answered before purchasing their services. Their knowledge base is FREE! Some websites have a free chat embedded into their site where you can ask them just about anything and get a accurate response. Just don't tell them your going to file yourself and you will get answers.
:)

I recommend using RapidVisa.com for any questions or advice you may need. It worked like a charm. I submitted my Visa in confidence after all my questions were answered. I will let you know the outcome once were approved! Think positive,,

Edited by ziggyzaazaa

Erinmi (L) Ayomi

Alaska & Nigeria

(Laugh) + (Joy)

Lol I have a few red flags but I'm doing it without a lawyer. My red flags are I was recently divorced and

I'm 13 years older than my fiancé and I'm a woman which makes it more of a red flag.

But I sent a letter explaining i was separated from my ex for a long time before the divorce and I have lots of proof of bona fide relationship . My 14 year old daughter is coming with me to see him in three weeks and we'll get pics and get more evidence for the interview.

My NOA1 was August 4 and I'm constantly checking my status on USCIS website....... Even through the holiday weekend when I know nobody's working ???

I am also older than my fiancé and I am a woman and I was also recently divorced. I didn't send anything explaining why with my i-129f....cus it wasn't weird to me.. hahahaha but everything went well so far... I think the evidence of bona fide relationship is really important.. of course. I was recently told however that depending on country, such a thing as the woman being older can be a red flag...so maybe it helped that I'm Swedish..

Comment to the OP, I did everything by myself reading a lot looking at examples getting tips from ppl here. You are in the right place :) Welcome and good luck!

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.