MarkMorg

K1 approved, now Ex won't sign for child to come....

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Our K1 has been approved, we are at the point of preparing to schedule the interview.

Ex-husband doesn't give a , just doing this for spite. He has known the plans and now says "I will not sign that f'ing paper" for child to come.....

Any recommendations ??? Anyone else had this issue???

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

WOW. That's a low blow! Maybe you can come to terms with the father and explain him it's in the best interest of the child. I don't believe you'll be able to take the child out of the country without his authorization. What's the reason for his change of heart?

Edited by MandyAlex

K-1 Petition - California Service Center

Sent by FedEx: Feb 9 2016

Received at CSC: Feb 10 2016

NOA1: Feb 12 2016

Approved/NOA2: May 31 2016

NOA1 TO NOA2: 111 Days

NVC Received: July 26, 2016

NOA2 TO NVC: 56 Days

NVC Case #: July 27, 2016

NVC Processing: 3 Business Days

NVC To Consulate: July 29, 2016

Consulate Received: Aug 1, 2016

Consulate Ready: Aug 5, 2016

Interview: Sep 19, 2016

(Visa Approved!)

POE: Oct 17, 2016

Wedding: Dec 22, 2016

Filed for AOS: May 5, 2017

Timeline

As i said. Spite..... she will be happy and that's the opposite of what he wants. He doesn't visit or use his visitation. Barely see's the child at all.

Of course not kids the new bank role :rolleyes: selfish dad

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Timeline

As i said. Spite..... she will be happy and that's the opposite of what he wants. He doesn't visit or use his visitation. Barely see's the child at all.

You might have to petition for sole custody with the family court. You definitely need a lawyer for this. Being he's an unfit, irresponsible and selfish parent, you might have a chance of getting it granted. Talk to a family lawyer ASAP.

(Visa Approved!)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

So sorry to hear that, unfortunately is a very common situation.

The child's petition is still valid for one year. Ask your gf to start a legal process immediately at a comisaria de familia to get the child's custody; you might also need a lawyer. They will contact the father and try to get an amicable conciliation but in case he refuses to sign again then she has to sue him to get total custody. Act asap, because is a long process ?

I went trough the same issue.

Our K1 has been approved, we are at the point of preparing to schedule the interview.

Ex-husband doesn't give a ####, just doing this for spite. He has known the plans and now says "I will not sign that f'ing paper" for child to come.....

I assume that the father has parental responsibility?

Ex-husband doesn't give a ####, just doing this for spite. He has known the plans and now says "I will not sign that f'ing paper" for child to come.....

Luckily for Mexico I did not need a letter allowing the daughter to leave but I did need his signature for My Fiancee's daughter's Passport and that cost me five months of haggling after NOA2. Honestly with what you will have to face going through the courts (the time being the biggest) plus the expenses break out the checkbook every man has his price. I hate to say it but I paid him off well and it worked once we agreed on how much which was pathetic and sad but I will gladly fill the shoes he could not and I have no regrets.

Edited by ayceman

As said, court order or buy him off.

The court order will be a very long process and obviously there will be costs involved but if you can genuinely prove that the kids are better off without him then I'm sure you can.

I believe it won't be that easy though from past things I've seen about this, unless he's been physically sbusive or mentally neglected them then I think you may struggle. Him not using his visitation rights won't fall under this.

Does he contribute to the children financially at all/has he ever financially contributed and do you have proof of this?

Timeline

As said, court order or buy him off.

The court order will be a very long process and obviously there will be costs involved but if you can genuinely prove that the kids are better off without him then I'm sure you can.

Actually, it depends on the country where the case will be filed. My fiancée has a friend in Ecuador that just went through the same and only took 2 and a half months from beginning to end. Definitely the process involves court costs, attorney's fees and whatnot, but sometimes it's the only course of action. I'm sure a good family cases lawyer can draw a good plan of action and give the OP a time frame. My 2 cents. Edited by MandyAlex

(Visa Approved!)

Timeline

Thank you for all the responses. We are not sure what to do yet but sure gave us some ideas and options. I know all of you know how this feels to be so happy that your journey is coming to an end and then BAM!!!! it all goes to hell...............

hi

sorry to hear ive been there and got through it though it took me 16 months to fight it through courts. The embassy held my petition open as we were open and honest about the situation. you will prob need to consult lawyer as im sure all countries have different laws regarding removal of child- and also will depend on his parental rights and responsibilities - if he has them he can stop you. American schools may look for evidence that you have his permission or court papers to say that they are legally allowed to come to school there.

lawyer first though.

Timeline

i AM THE LUCKY GRINGO AMERICANO HUSBAND IN MIAMI AND FIGHTING FOR MY WIFE'S CHILD A COLOMBIAN NATIONAL 5 YEARS OLD, HE WAS ISSUED HIS K2 VISA TO LEAVE COLOMBIA , MY WIFE ARRIVED IN MIAMI LAST YEAR WITH A KI VISA, SHE WILL BE A RESIDENT OF UNITED STATES FIRST WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 2016 THE PROBLEM IS THE CHILD CAN NOT LEAVE WITHOUT FATHERS APPROVAL AND LIKE MANY HE HAS TAKEN THAT POSITION" MEXICAN STANDOFF" MY WIFE HAS HER LAWYER WORKING THE CASE OK THE $1,000,000.00 QUESTION , CAN OUR LAWYER IN MEDELLIN ASK FOR AN EXTENSION OF 6 MONTHS ON A K2 VISA ISSUED IN JUNE 2016 THE VISA WILL EXPIRE SOMETIME IN SEPTEMBER 2016 AND IF IT EXPIRES THAT MEANS I AM HOLDING THE BAG TO PAY FOR ANOTHER VISA ?? WHAT A SCAM/ ANYONE WITH INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROCEDURE PLEASE POST IT TO ME THANK YOU , GOD BLESS

Timeline

the idea of paying off extorsion money to a low life child predator and rapist I don;t think I could do that A REWARD FOR A LOW LIFE SCUM THAT SHOULD BE IN JAIL I HAVE MADE IT A POINT IN MY LIFE IN LAW ENFORCEMENT TO TAKE THE POSITION OF NEVER GIVING UP, NEVER GIVING IN AND NEVER QUITTING THERE IS A SPECIAL PLACE FOR PEOPLE LKE THIS AND I HOPE TO BE THERE WHEN HE MEETS HIS MAKER MY WIFE WAS CRYING FOR ONE MONTH WHEN THIS GUY REFUSED TO LET HER SPEAK TO HER SON BECAUSE HE HAD ACCUSED HER OF ABANDONMENT A TOTAL LIE I WOULD RATHER STEP ON A LAND MINE THEN TO GIVE THIS SCUMBAG RAPIST CHILD PREDATOR ONE PESO BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT HE WILL NEVER ENTER THE UNITED STATES IN THIS LIFETIME OR THE NEXT

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.