Lights

2 Years in America

10 posts in this topic

Your post is sums up everything I have in my mind. Well said. And happy 4th of July to everyone.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Thank you for sharing! I would be interested to know your journey on how you go about starting business as a foreigner! Do share more about it!

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for a great post! I'm also from Canada, and I can relate to a lot that you said. Especially #5.

I'm adapting to the current political situation by becoming a US citizen (I've been here long enough) so that I can vote. The way I look at it, every country has imperfections, and for problem situations to improve, its citizens need to act. Being indifferent doesn't help anyone. My life is in this country now, so I'm putting my energy into life here.

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Timeline

"amen sis'ta" (Spoken in my newly learned southern dialect). Thank you for the post!

Canada to Mississippi!? That must be a change. :) Thank you!

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Timeline

Good Advice. Happy Belated Canada Day to you :)

Thank you! We did a little Canada Day celebration and then ended off the weekend with July 4th. I won't be eating for the next 3 days!

Thank you for sharing! I would be interested to know your journey on how you go about starting business as a foreigner! Do share more about it!

Sure! I'm happy to share. :)

I spent 11 years in digital. I started with developing websites to apps and then worked with some of the worlds largest brands to create strategies and systems that bring them more sales through digital channels. I loved it when I was in Canada and when I moved to California, my experience was still very much needed. I received an offer letter before my EAD came in. I was very transparent (I networked a lot when I first came here, just to create a community) with my immigration and the company that offered me a contract was okay to wait. They waited 2 months before I was able to officially start.

When I started, I spent about a year with this company until I got headhunted. It was amazing, at the time, because the company offered nearly 3x my salary at the previous company based on my client experience. Shortly after starting at this company, things went downhill. I was working for someone who was ruthless with other people. He made it impossible for any of us to get our work done. And he was very "you should be lucky you have a job" kind of attitude. Now, I've worked with some crazy clients and terrible employers in the past, but nothing to this level.

I had already been thinking about the difference I would have in Canada versus in the US (such as maternity leave etc.) and was really at a cross roads. One day, while we were in his office for 6 hours working on a report and he had gotten his assistant to bring HIM lunch only, while the rest of us sat there all day with no bathroom breaks, I realized that this wasn't the way for me. I just didn't know how and or if I could do anything different... The following week, we went on a business trip. It was then that I realized I had to go. He humiliated one of my staff at the airport and laughed about it, then expected me to do the same. Which I refused. The following day, I quit.

At first, I thought "what am I doing??" but my survival instincts kicked in. Within my first week, I picked up a contract client to do consulting for. Over the last year, I picked up business for things that I had done previously (digital work) because that's what I have a track record in, and it held me over (without a consistent paycheck). Slowly, I started to lower my hours on what I use to do and started focusing on building what I wanted to do. Once I got out of that survival mode, I started to look at my life and think what it is that I really wanted to do. I realized moving didn't mean picking up where I left off, it meant I could pivot and create a new normal IF I wanted to.

Canadians work very hard but we also understand balance. Something that I struggled with here. I talk to a lot of working moms and they feel like they have to choose one or the other. Many of them, who have had C-sections, are back to work well before they are healed. This just did not work for me. I decided to get involved and build a business around the life I wanted, but also understanding that I live in California and that it's not cheap. Once I went down this road, I realized just how many others were in my position but felt stuck and couldn't really change their course like I could. It's not easy and i'm still building but you can do it.

I'll be coming up to one year of being my own boss shortly. People who say it can't be done, really haven't tried. I had an idea, consulted a lawyer, created an LLC and went to a bank and got my business banking accounts opened. I went back and took some licensing courses. I worked hard and within a few months I had banks trying to give me loans up the wazoo (which I declined).

You can always PM me for details but wasn't sure how detailed I should be on here :). I'm not a citizen, I'm a permanent resident and I was able to start a business. America is still a land of opportunity, but I think it's almost an advantage being a foreigner. I find, although it works for some, that Americans have a "if I work many hours, I'll be productive" mentality. Whereas, I have a "you do focused worked for less hours but you actually produce more"

Thanks for a great post! I'm also from Canada, and I can relate to a lot that you said. Especially #5.

I'm adapting to the current political situation by becoming a US citizen (I've been here long enough) so that I can vote. The way I look at it, every country has imperfections, and for problem situations to improve, its citizens need to act. Being indifferent doesn't help anyone. My life is in this country now, so I'm putting my energy into life here.

Ahh! I wish I could vote, I'm not there yet but soon. I hear you... my thing is the resistance... I've encountered a lot of people who haven't traveled outside of their state, let alone country and have such strong opinions of why certain things cannot be done. I agree with you, the citizens need to act. I can tell you that I am the most political in the family and my in-laws are like "but I thought you were Canadian and Canadians are so neutral". The way I see it is exactly like you. If I'm living here, I want to act on behalf of the society and community I live in. Maybe I'm a bit crazy, but I think even my small voice can make a different.

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.