lostwoman

Separated From My Husband

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You mean your kid live outside the US for a long time? That doesn't matter. If the parent is a US citizen, the child is too.

I am sorry that my answer was kind of confusing. My husband lived outside U.S. he did not meet the years that he is supposed to live in the U.S. so his kids would be U.S. citizens too, I forgot the term...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

I am sorry that my answer was kind of confusing. My husband lived outside U.S. he did not meet the years that he is supposed to live in the U.S. so his kids would be U.S. citizens too, I forgot the term...

Yes, but if your child has a GC now & was living with your husband (he was until recently) then the child automatically became a USC.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

I am really thinking of leaving my child with him. As of now, I have nothing, no car, no place to stay. I do have a job but it is outside the State where I live. I want to get an Apt. or house, but very impossible to get one that is close to my work place or coworkers who I can carpool with. I am just lost. It's going to be hard to leave my kid as I know how he can be neglectful with him.

You just said he ignored you and your child due to an addiction, but now you're going to leave your child with him? Makes perfect sense. :wow:

Why the heck do you have a job out of state? Are there really no jobs in your state? I would want my spouse to get a closer part time job over having a full time job out of state. My husband has to do work training out of state and it's hard enough. I know some families do the out of state xx weeks on, xx weeks off, because a job pays well, but generally it's the main bread winner that does that (aka the person who's paying most of the bills.)

Yes, my spouse is USC. My husband was not able to get him citizenship because he lived outside the U.S. for many years.

Once your child arrived in the USA with an immigrant visa he became a USC. He may not have been able to to the CRBA, but your child is a USC. He's entitled to a passport but that requires both parents consent. You could speak to your spouse about getting your child a passport and moving back to the PI if that's what you want.

IMHO, if you really are done with your marriage, you need to figure out how this is going to work out with your child. I know what I would do, but what you should do is up to you. My child doesn't live with me, and I'm the mom, but her father is an excellent father, she's surrounded by close family on his side (so a bigger support system) and we have good communication. I would have never left her with him if I was ever worried about her safety, or the care he provided her with, or if we didn't communicate well about her and her future. She lives with her dad because SHE wanted to. If she wanted to live with me, he would have accepted that as well. If she was too young to make a decision about that, I wouldn't be living in the USA.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Why the heck do you have a job out of state? Are there really no jobs in your state? I would want my spouse to get a closer part time job over having a full time job out of state. My husband has to do work training out of state and it's hard enough. I know some families do the out of state xx weeks on, xx weeks off, because a job pays well, but generally it's the main bread winner that does that (aka the person who's paying most of the bills.)

It's really common for people on the east coast to have a job out of state, everything is so close together over there. Transportation between major cities is much faster/easier than the rest of the country where things are more spread out. I'm assuming this is the case for the OP?

USCIS

Sent I-130.........05/28/16

USPS Delivered.....05/31/16

Check cashed.......06/03/16

NOA1...............06/03/16

NOA1 (hard copy)...06/10/16

NOA2...............08/08/16

I asked the OP the question because if they worked close to where they lived she wouldnt be thinking about leaving her child with an addict who ignores his family, by her declaration. The two are related and intertwined.

It's really common for people on the east coast to have a job out of state, everything is so close together over there. Transportation between major cities is much faster/easier than the rest of the country where things are more spread out. I'm assuming this is the case for the OP?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I am really thinking of leaving my child with him. As of now, I have nothing, no car, no place to stay. I do have a job but it is outside the State where I live. I want to get an Apt. or house, but very impossible to get one that is close to my work place or coworkers who I can carpool with. I am just lost. It's going to be hard to leave my kid as I know how he can be neglectful with him.

That's a double edge sword you cannot knowingly leave a child in a neglectful situation you need to get an attorney...ASAP

Your child's safety is the most importAnt thing.

Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do not leave your child with the father. He can turn around and say you abandoned them both. Then you may end up in a very ugly battle. I know you posted that you want them to have a good relationship and you will not prevent that from happening. That is great and how it should be, but you don't know what your husband will do.

Go consult a lawyer.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It is so sad to hear what you are gong through not being supported by your USC husband sucks. You do not need to be controlled by him, one the freedoms rights I have really learn from this country is being able to leave an abusive relationship and move up. You should contact a lawyer. Once you have gotten the 10 GC card and if you have been a GC holder for more than 5 yrs you can apply for citizenship and help your child become a USC.

Also the people who signed the i-864 form are legally responsible to have brought a inmigrant to this country and should not have to ask for goverment assistance. Your USC husband needs to found responsible for alimony and child support. If he is violent to you don't hesitate to call 911 and let them know what is happening. Don't be afraid. Violence against women must STOP and btw the more infor you can get the better.

Good Luck!

Thus far we only have the OP's word that the husband is being controlling; with the only signifying statement being that he wants her to quit her out of state full time employment, to work at part time employment closer by especially since she doesn't have a driver's license. Oh and cancel some driving lessons, but without a stated reason (maybe he can't take her at those times?) But she does say he has an addiction, but what kind we don't know. I didn't read anything that said abuse either so why are people jumping on that band wagon?

Really IMHO, more info is needed; and I'm not ready to label this man as a bad person.

Edited by NLR

Timeline

You just said he ignored you and your child due to an addiction, but now you're going to leave your child with him? Makes perfect sense. :wow:

I am here for an advice. You do not know my situation, it is easier for you to say that

There are many job in my State, as I stated above. I do not have a driver's license yet. In the town where I live does not have good paying job. My work place is few minutes away from where I used to live.

Once your child arrived in the USA with an immigrant visa he became a USC. He may not have been able to to the CRBA, but your child is a USC. He's entitled to a passport but that requires both parents consent. You could speak to your spouse about getting your child a passport and moving back to the PI if that's what you want.

IMHO, if you really are done with your marriage, you need to figure out how this is going to work out with your child. I know what I would do, but what you should do is up to you. My child doesn't live with me, and I'm the mom, but her father is an excellent father, she's surrounded by close family on his side (so a bigger support system) and we have good communication. I would have never left her with him if I was ever worried about her safety, or the care he provided her with, or if we didn't communicate well about her and her future. She lives with her dad because SHE wanted to. If she wanted to live with me, he would have accepted that as well. If she was too young to make a decision about that, I wouldn't be living in the USA.

Not everyone is as blessed as you are.

I am here for an advice. You do not know my situation, it is easier for you to say that

There are many job in my State, as I stated above. I do not have a driver's license yet. In the town where I live does not have good paying job. My work place is few minutes away from where I used to live.

Not everyone is as blessed as you are.

It's easier for people to know the answers when you type outside the quotes. Just an FYI. I coloured your quotes in red so people know which is your answers and which are not.

So your city is close to a state line? That makes sense then. I'm still unsure why you can't live in your state if it's a few minutes away?

I'm unsure how you think my situation is blessed? I gave you advice and yes, it probably sounded a little judgmental, but you didn't give much information either, so we're going off what you have to say, which was very little.

Because I don't think you understand, due to your "blessed" comment here it is again:

I don't live with my child and it hurts every day. She chose to live with her dad and it hurts EVERY DAY. I get to see her every 3 months for about 10 days at a time (and a month in the summer) and putting her back on that plane hurts so much I cannot explain it. BUT I would never have moved if I felt she wasn't in a safe environment, with a loving father. That I hopefully would be able to provide her with a better life if she ever did decide to live with me instead of living pay check to pay check. However AGAIN, what you should do it up to you. I'm telling you that likely will regret that decision. Leaving your child with someone who is neglectful for whatever reason, is just bad parenting on your part (and theirs.) I would rather live pay check to pay check than ever leave my child with someone who would neglect, ignore, or harm her in any way, shape, or form.

Edited by NLR

Do what you want. You have your 10 year green card. Your child is a USC. Anything else is a domestic/family problem and not immigration related.

<EOM>

Timeline

It's easier for people to know the answers when you type outside the quotes. Just an FYI. I coloured your quotes in red so people know which is your answers and which are not.

So your city is close to a state line? That makes sense then. I'm still unsure why you can't live in your state if it's a few minutes away?

I'm unsure how you think my situation is blessed? I gave you advice and yes, it probably sounded a little judgmental, but you didn't give much information either, so we're going off what you have to say, which was very little.

Because I don't think you understand, due to your "blessed" comment here it is again:

I don't live with my child and it hurts every day. She chose to live with her dad and it hurts EVERY DAY. I get to see her every 3 months for about 10 days at a time (and a month in the summer) and putting her back on that plane hurts so much I cannot explain it. BUT I would never have moved if I felt she wasn't in a safe environment, with a loving father. That I hopefully would be able to provide her with a better life if she ever did decide to live with me instead of living pay check to pay check. However AGAIN, what you should do it up to you. I'm telling you that likely will regret that decision. Leaving your child with someone who is neglectful for whatever reason, is just bad parenting on your part (and theirs.) I would rather live pay check to pay check than ever leave my child with someone who would neglect, ignore, or harm her in any way, shape, or form.

I am not leaving my child with him. I already stated I was planning to. And if I would, his baby sitter (my friend) would spend more time with him than him. Since he is always away from home and only spend 2 days off at home. So, do not tell me that I am just as neglectful as the father.

Well, I am sorry about your child choosing the father over you. I know how it feels to be hurt, as I am in that situation. Thanks for the advice.

I am not leaving my child with him. I said I was planning to but does not mean, I am . And if I would, his baby sitter (my friend) would spend more time with him than him. Since he is always away from home and only spend 2 days off at home. So, do not tell me that I am just as neglectful as the father.

Well, I am sorry about your child choosing the father over you. I know how it feels to be hurt, as I am in that situation. Thanks for the advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.