Jump to content
Visa Journey User

Both of us going abroad for school while processing Adjustment of Status

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Thank you to the people who have helped with my questions so far.

My SO arrived in April and we were married on an I129F/K1, we immediately sent in the paperwork for I485/AOS, and she applied for an I131/Reentry Permit at the same time, as well as the EAD. My SO received confirmation of having received the I485 for processing May 10th, and has just received a letter saying her biometrics appointment is June 16th. That is at the York office, and our USCIS office is Philadelphia.

My SO and I have both been accepted into graduate programs in Europe. The plan was to continue processing the GC until she received it, and then she would come join me in Europe (where I had already started the program around the beginning of September). That means that if I leave soon, I would have to make a trip back for the GC interview. For Philadelphia it looks like roughly 150 days on this site, but the USCIS processing page lists 1 year. That means the earliest the appointment could happen would be near Christmas, but it would likely be later. And since she applied for a reentry permit and not advance parole, she would have to wait in the US while the AOS processed before the interview, after which time she could leave and use the reentry permit to come back.

Since she has to start her program too, that is too long to wait. Perhaps if she had filed an I131 for advance parole instead of a reentry permit, she would be able to leave while still waiting for the interview, but then it would need to be switched to a reentry permit anyway because of the school commitment in Europe. I asked about filing for both AP and reentry, but don't yet know the answer to that question.

I'm wondering if the better thing to do here is change the AOS to consular processing and just complete it in Europe. She would then still have the reentry permit (I'm assuming), allowing her to travel back and forth with me, with a green card, while we both attend school. Basically we would get around this temporary issue of processing and not being able to leave before the GC interview, and would just have the interview in her home country where we will be anyway, which is France by the way. I'm fighting hard to try to get AP and reentry, because I'm trying to keep the process flowing in the US. Perhaps what's better is just concede that processing abroad would be smarter since we'll be abroad, and switch it with an I824.

If that sounds right, would I just file an I824, followed by an AC140? What time frame would I be looking at for that change?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot do AOS in Europe; Adjustment of Status can only be done inside the USA. Trying to get AP asap seems the most sensible thing. If not, depending on how long you plan to be in Europe, abandoning it and then petitioning for a CR-1 spousal visa when you are ready to return to the USA is also a possibility.

I am curious why you did the K1 at all? It would have been easier to keep visiting on the VWP (or tourist visa as appropriate) until you guys are ready to live in the USA permanently.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


she did, she filed for advance parole,

the i131 has a dual purpose, it serves as advance parole for those waiting for a green card interview, they can leave and return for a short period of time

and also it serves as a reentry permit for those who have a green card and need to be out of the country for up to 2 years and not loose their GC

if she filed as a reentry permit and filled it out as a reentry permit, it will be denied, she should have filled it out as requesting advance parole

Ii also agree, why try to file for a green card if you're not ready to live here? that was a waste of money and time, and as said, the adjustment of status is done in the US, that's the purpose of the K1, a one time entry to marry and adjust status in the US

Edited by aleful

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Her AOS is based on K1 petition and so cannot be switched to consular processing. Only the spousal petition based cases (through i-130) can be switched back and forth depending on where the beneficiary is. So if you were to go with the consular processing, you have to start the whole spousal visa process starting with i-130.

Are you sure she applied for Reentry Permit and not the Advance Parole? My understanding is that you can apply for Reentry Permit only if you have a GC, With i485, you can apply for Advance Parole only not Reentry permit. May be others can chime in. She will know anyway once she gets the card whether its a AP or RP.


2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US






2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The K-1 does not seem to be the correct visa for you to have applied for. Should have married and waited until your school abroad was over, and then entered with a spousal visa.

I did answer about the reentry permit in your other thread here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/598928-aos-processing-applying-for-both-ap-and-reentry-permit-together/

A reentry permit is for those that are already permanent residents. Once her AOS is approved and she becomes a permanent resident, then she could file for a reentry permit that would allow her to remain outside the US for up to 2 years. > https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/B5en.pdf

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.