D&H

Marriage in the USA (not with K-1). Looking for other similar couples. Not sure where to post this question.

42 posts in this topic

My hubby and I got married here in the u.s. And we planned a big wedding. He came here from England and we had our wedding. He went back to England and his job and I filed the i-130. We've not gotten to be together since. It's hard, but I know we'll make it through this process.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I always wonder about those who visit and then decide to marry and stay, like how is it possible without planning?! I don't mean this in a bad way, I'm just curious. We did the IR-1 visa and for me it was months of preparation before I could move over. I had to sell my apartment, my car, furniture, pack up and ship the stuff I wanted to bring with me, quite my job, wrap things up with my bank etc etc. I always wonder how people move halfway around the world, or even just next door like you did, without planning? Because now you can't leave the US for months so what do you do with everything back home? I'm not judging, just interested in how it works and you seem like an open person, so figured I'd put the question out there. :)

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I always wonder about those who visit and then decide to marry and stay, like how is it possible without planning?! I don't mean this in a bad way, I'm just curious. We did the IR-1 visa and for me it was months of preparation before I could move over. I had to sell my apartment, my car, furniture, pack up and ship the stuff I wanted to bring with me, quite my job, wrap things up with my bank etc etc. I always wonder how people move halfway around the world, or even just next door like you did, without planning? Because now you can't leave the US for months so what do you do with everything back home? I'm not judging, just interested in how it works and you seem like an open person, so figured I'd put the question out there. :)

Totally a valid question. My situation is unique in that I had already completely downsized my life before any of this happened. I sold everything I owned, and was traveling around the world for a couple years. So, I am on a leave of absence, have no property, or any other complicated ties to my former home city. When it came time to determine if my partner and I were going to get 'serious' we just started to have the conversation and figure out what made the most sense. Since I had no 'job' to go back to, we decided getting married and staying made sense - We're also not in our 20's (I don't mean that negatively) -- and the decision to get married and to know that we were each ready for it, was natural.

AOS based on Marriage

06/01/16 - FedEX AOS to Chicago Lockbox

06/02/16 - AOS docs received at Chicago Lockbox

06/09/16 - NOA1 email x4 received [Day 8]

06/13/16 - NOA1 I-797C x 4 arrived [Day 14]

06/25/16 - I-797 Biometrics (Notice Date: 06/18/16) [Day 23]

06/27/16 - Early Walk-In Biometrics. Successful. [Day 25]

07/08/16 - Biometrics Appointment [Day 36]

07/22/16 - I-485 case number trackable online (I-130, I-131, I-765 not trackable) [Day 50]

07/22/16 - I-485 status update: "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" [Day 50]

07/25/16 - I-130, I-131, I-765 trackable online. Status: "Case Was Received" [Day 53]

08/22/16 - I-765 & I-131 update: Case Was Approved" [Day 81]

08/27/16 - EAD Combo Card Received [Day 86]

08/29/16 - Applied for SSN Card with EAD [Day 88]

09/19/16 - SSN Card Received [Day 109]

11/03/16 - Interview Notification! email received (no texts) Status updated online. [Day 154]

12/07/16 - Scheduled Interview [Day 188]

12/07/16 - APPROVED

12/14/16 - Received Green Card

**This is going to get kind of personal, but I honestly don't care at this point!**

At the time (Which was only a few months ago, but it seems like a lifetime - in a good way), I was living in Ontario, Canada. The USC, in the Buffalo, NY Area... So only an hour away from one another, with a border at the half way point.
I quit my job in February 2016 because it was making me miserable, I was living with my parents (who are psycho) and my fiance (at the time) was just going to pay my way (I was paying rent whilst employed- understandably so) until I could come over legally because everything was just too much to handle, as we were going through the K1 Visa process.

Lo and behold, after a huge family fight while my fiance and I were at my house in Canada, we decided to leave pretty much as soon as we arrived, leaving my vehicle behind as I was too emotional to drive.

After some issue at the border (because I kept crossing so frequently *Due to toxic living conditions* and was honest with them about my employment status, they gave me a hard time about crossing.
They allowed me to go through this time, but on my departure from the states and re-entry I was to provide proof of ties to Canada.

Looking back on it now, I was so lucky to be allowed entry. That night at customs it took everything within my being to hold it together and not break down in tears. One of the worst nights of my life.
The next day I received an email from my loving mother stating I was kicked out without any notice (even though I paid rent) and I had 2 1/2 weeks to get rid of my animals that currently resided there.

I was in a panic, my fiance and I were at wit's end. We attempted to look for an apartment that was animal friendly that was still relatively close and everything fell through.
Turns out Visa Journey saved me. We were running out of options and I figured as I told customs I would only be here a week, I was wary about overstaying (However, I still had a few months on my Visitor Visa)

I was honestly a nervous wreck, I posted on here if there was anyway we could expedite the K1 Visa process, but a few users on this forum advised me to just stay and get married.
I didn't know that it was a viable option. I thought I was going to have to live in a grungy motel until we could find a better living situation for me. I thought I was going to have to give away my beloved pets.

Entering the states on March 21st, I got married to my hero and best friend on April 8th!! :)

My mother-in-law, who I consider more of a mother than my biological one, offered to hire a lawyer so I didn't have to stress over paper work.

We withdrew from the K1 Visa and now we await for the next steps.

Service Center: California Service Center.
I-129F Sent: 2016-02-23 (Delivered via USPS Express mail courier.)
I-129F Arrival: 2016-02-24 (Lewisville Lockbox Facility location.)
I-129F NOA1: 2016-02-29 (Received Confirmation text and email.)
I-129F NOA1: 2016-03-01 (Received email confirmation of payment withdrawal of petition fee.)

I-129F NOA1: 2016-03-04 (Received hard copy of NOA1 receipt.)

Visited Fiance in the States - week visit: 2016-03-20

Due to reasons, extended stay. Decided to marry and adjust status.

I-129F Notice of Withdrawal sent: 2016-03-29

Married: 2016-04-08

Medical: 2016-04-11

I-129F Notice of Withdrawal NOA1: 2016-04-21

Bloodwork (Quest Diagnostics) Date of Report: 2016-05-04

Biometrics NOA1: 2016-06-09
Biometrics NOA2: 2016-06-27
Biometrics Appointment: 2016-07-12

Received Interview date: 10/31/2016!!! Appointment scheduled for 11/29/2016!

Green Card Interview: 11/29/2016: Conditional Green Card Approved.

**This is going to get kind of personal, but I honestly don't care at this point!**

At the time (Which was only a few months ago, but it seems like a lifetime - in a good way), I was living in Ontario, Canada. The USC, in the Buffalo, NY Area... So only an hour away from one another, with a border at the half way point.

I quit my job in February 2016 because it was making me miserable, I was living with my parents (who are psycho) and my fiance (at the time) was just going to pay my way (I was paying rent whilst employed- understandably so) until I could come over legally because everything was just too much to handle, as we were going through the K1 Visa process.

Lo and behold, after a huge family fight while my fiance and I were at my house in Canada, we decided to leave pretty much as soon as we arrived, leaving my vehicle behind as I was too emotional to drive.

After some issue at the border (because I kept crossing so frequently *Due to toxic living conditions* and was honest with them about my employment status, they gave me a hard time about crossing.

They allowed me to go through this time, but on my departure from the states and re-entry I was to provide proof of ties to Canada.

Looking back on it now, I was so lucky to be allowed entry. That night at customs it took everything within my being to hold it together and not break down in tears. One of the worst nights of my life.

The next day I received an email from my loving mother stating I was kicked out without any notice (even though I paid rent) and I had 2 1/2 weeks to get rid of my animals that currently resided there.

I was in a panic, my fiance and I were at wit's end. We attempted to look for an apartment that was animal friendly that was still relatively close and everything fell through.

Turns out Visa Journey saved me. We were running out of options and I figured as I told customs I would only be here a week, I was wary about overstaying (However, I still had a few months on my Visitor Visa)

I was honestly a nervous wreck, I posted on here if there was anyway we could expedite the K1 Visa process, but a few users on this forum advised me to just stay and get married.

I didn't know that it was a viable option. I thought I was going to have to live in a grungy motel until we could find a better living situation for me. I thought I was going to have to give away my beloved pets.

Entering the states on March 21st, I got married to my hero and best friend on April 8th!! :)

My mother-in-law, who I consider more of a mother than my biological one, offered to hire a lawyer so I didn't have to stress over paper work.

We withdrew from the K1 Visa and now we await for the next steps.

You entered and married after submitting a K1? Can you prove your intent wasnt to adjust in this case? :huh2:

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Wow that was so quick! it only took you like 6 months for the entire process?

I came to the US in August 2015 and we got married in October 2015. I never left since then. We applied for AOS and after 4 months 1/2 I received my Green Card. Stressing procedure as I didn't know what could possibly happen but as long as you enter legally, your relationship is true, you supply all the documents required, you don't have any red flags, you have finances to do it, and you do what is asked, you should be fine.

I'm now a permanent resident, I can see my husband every day :dance:(L) I work full time, and I help my community whenever I have free time. I would have never thought of this a year ago :D

Good luck!

Currently on H1B in New York City. Filed for AOS in Apr 2016.
02/05/2016 : Civil ceremony at New York city hall
04/02/2016 : Mailed in the AOS package (130, 485, 131, 765)
04/14/2016 : Chicago office cashed the checks
04/20/2016 : Receipts received by mail
05/09/2016 : Biometric appointment
07/01/2016 : EAD/AP approved
07/09/2016 : EAD/AP combo card received

Anitafeliz:

I mean, I still have the email where my mother states that I was kicked out without notice, the day after my arrival into USA as I stated in my previous message.

I was only supposed to be staying a week.

My intention was not to adjust, only to visit. I had a place to live in Canada at the time of my arrival.

The next day, I did not.

I spent the next week contacting apartments/house rentals that I still have correspondence with.

Why would I go into the states with the intent of marriage and ruin my chances of getting approved for the K1 Visa when we were in the process?

Things happen.

Service Center: California Service Center.
I-129F Sent: 2016-02-23 (Delivered via USPS Express mail courier.)
I-129F Arrival: 2016-02-24 (Lewisville Lockbox Facility location.)
I-129F NOA1: 2016-02-29 (Received Confirmation text and email.)
I-129F NOA1: 2016-03-01 (Received email confirmation of payment withdrawal of petition fee.)

I-129F NOA1: 2016-03-04 (Received hard copy of NOA1 receipt.)

Visited Fiance in the States - week visit: 2016-03-20

Due to reasons, extended stay. Decided to marry and adjust status.

I-129F Notice of Withdrawal sent: 2016-03-29

Married: 2016-04-08

Medical: 2016-04-11

I-129F Notice of Withdrawal NOA1: 2016-04-21

Bloodwork (Quest Diagnostics) Date of Report: 2016-05-04

Biometrics NOA1: 2016-06-09
Biometrics NOA2: 2016-06-27
Biometrics Appointment: 2016-07-12

Received Interview date: 10/31/2016!!! Appointment scheduled for 11/29/2016!

Green Card Interview: 11/29/2016: Conditional Green Card Approved.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

My story: didn't have a car or a house to sell back home, been traveling around the world (63 countries) for the past ten years (studied in Sweden for two years), met my husband here in LA, traveled some more in South America, came back, got married, and filed for AOS. I still do have bank accounts back home tho, so I didn't exactly 'wrap things up'. Life is about spontaneity sometimes. Carpe diem.

AOS - 130 days

ROC - 15m

N400 - 10/18/2019

bio - 11/4/19

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

You entered and married after submitting a K1? Can you prove your intent wasnt to adjust in this case? :huh2:

It does not matter. Intent alone is not a reason for denial, anyway.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Anitafeliz:

I mean, I still have the email where my mother states that I was kicked out without notice, the day after my arrival into USA as I stated in my previous message.

I was only supposed to be staying a week.

My intention was not to adjust, only to visit. I had a place to live in Canada at the time of my arrival.

The next day, I did not.

I spent the next week contacting apartments/house rentals that I still have correspondence with.

Why would I go into the states with the intent of marriage and ruin my chances of getting approved for the K1 Visa when we were in the process?

Things happen.

:thumbs: thats good then as long as your safe :D

I didnt say it was i just asked if she had proof incase it comes up... Just a question

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Timeline

I came to the US in 2011 with my boyfriend. We met in a third country and he invited me to visit TX with him & bought me a plane ticket. I was lucky enough to be eligible for the VWP, so I applied for ESTA & came with him. We were talking about possibly getting married while here.

However we were blissfully unaware how the immigration system worked. Our original plan was to go to Hungary together before my 90-day stay was up, so he could meet my family (he had only met my mom at this point who came to visit us in the third country we met in).

After getting married we enjoyed the summer as newlyweds. As we were approaching the end of 90 days we finally did some research about immigration. Realizing that once I left I would need a spousal visa to come back and getting that would take a year, we quickly decided that I would stay instead & file for AOS.

I have not left the US since. I became a US citizen since and we had two kids. My husband has still not met the rest of my family, but my mom visited us four times on the VWP.

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

ROC Timeline

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

N-400 Timeline

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Most people I see who have gone through AOS process (I-130/I-485) have done it through K-1 or IR-1/CR-1. My situation was, we met, and on one of my stays in the USA we decided to get married and filed immediately after marriage. I was within my legal stay (Canadian on a B-2). I'm just wondering if a case like mine presents any issues since I see most people don't do it this way. Obviously, we didn't plan it - it just happened.

Anyone else out there who did it the same way willing to share their experience and maybe give me a little encouragement that what we've done isn't crazy haha :) (We did talk to an attorney - but it's nice to hear from real couples).

Look at my signature and you can see my journey. Married on B1/B2 about 6 weeks after entering the country.

Adjusting from B1/B2
Day 1 01/22/2013 AOS package sent
Day 67 03/29/ 2013 Greencard Arrived .

Eligible for ROC December 21st 2014

Day 001 12/22/2014 ROC package sent to CSC

Day 154 05/24/2015 Greencard arrived with SOMEONE ELSE'S PICTURE AND SIGNATURE

Day 409 02/04/2016 New card production

Eligible for citizenship January 5th 2016- 3 year rule

Day 1 01/04/2016 N-400 Mailed to Phoenix

Day 9 01/13/2016 check cashed/ case accepted

Day22 01/25/2016 Biometric letter for 02/03 ( early bio 01/28)

Day 196 Interview Letter received 07/18/2016

Day 224 Interview 08/15/2016 + same day oath+ same day passport application.

I AM A US CITIZEN!

Filed: Other Country: Albania
Timeline

The OP said that she had non-immigrant intent, and so it is not an issue here. But why would it not be grounds for denial. If she made a representation of non-immigrant intent in order to gain entry, then why would she not be excludable for willful and material misrepresentation. I have seen this a number of times on this site and am hoping for an explanation. Thanks.

Timeline

The OP said that she had non-immigrant intent, and so it is not an issue here. But why would it not be grounds for denial. If she made a representation of non-immigrant intent in order to gain entry, then why would she not be excludable for willful and material misrepresentation. I have seen this a number of times on this site and am hoping for an explanation. Thanks.

No. It's USCIS' policy NOT to deny an immediate relative to USC's AOS application if the only negative factor in the case is immigrant intent. I am guessing the reason would be because the applicant would otherwise be eligible for an immigrant visa were they applying abroad, so the end result is the same.

Married 06/24/2011

AOS Timeline

ROC Timeline

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

N-400 Timeline

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Because once you're here intent is not enough to deny aos as per matter of cavazos Edited by Transborderwife

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.