CharlotteLister

Marriage certificate - getting married tomorrow

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I just wanted a little advice regarding what we should do when it comes to obtaining the marriage certificate.

I arrived in the US on 24th April and we are getting married at the courthouse tomorrow morning (having a big wedding in October) so that we can fulfill the 90 day requirement.

However, when we went to the courthouse last week to obtain the marriage license, the lady behind the kiosk told us it can take 4-6 weeks to receive the marriage certificate. We were shocked at this as we thought doing it this way would be quicker and we could file AOS before the 90 days is over. Looking at the dates, on the worst case scenario of 6 weeks, it is cutting it fine with timing when it comes to getting the AOS paperwork mailed off. July 22nd is the date I need to be married by which will be fine but the filing of AOS, if what I have read is correct, could put me into illegal status. Is this correct?

Does anyone know if there is a way of expediting the marriage certificate? Or if this will jeopardize our AOS filing at all?

Charlotte

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

As long as you are married within the 90 day period it is fine. You will be out of status but it will be forgiven as soon as you file. I have seen post where people waited years. Just file for AOS as soon as you get the certificate.

I would play the immigration card with the lady and make it sound urgent that you have it to file your papers. She likely doesn't know any better. Then ask how you can get it expedited. It's just a matter of getting somebody to record the marriage instead of putting it in their "to do" pile. Look desperate and talk a good game.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

We filed our AOS just under two months after our wedding, do it before your medical expires other wise you will need to retake it which is another added expense. :)

K1-K2 VISA
FEBRUARY 2015 APPLIED FOR I-129F K1-K2
RECIEVED NOA1
AUGUST 2015 RECIEVED NOA2
SEPTEMBER 2015 SENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE
RECIEVED SYDNEY CASE NUMBER
CASE SENT TO THE SYDNEY EMBASSY
SEPTEMBER 2015 COMPLETED DS-160 K1-K2
OCTOBER 2015 MEDICAL COMPLETED
INTERVIEW - APPROVED
VISA ISSUED

DECEMBER 2015 ARRIVED INTO THE USA POA DALLAS TX 26TH DECEMBER
JANUARY 2016 MARRIED 29TH JANUARY
FEBRUARY 2016 SSN CARD RECIEVED

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS
MARCH 2016 SENT AOS PACKAGE K1-K2 21ST MARCH                                                       JUNE 2016 RECIEVED GREEN CARD K1-K2 11TH JUNE
ARRIVED AT THE CHICAGO LOCKBAG FACILITY 23RD MARCH

APRIL 2016 RECIEVED NOA 1 FOR AOS/EAD/AP 5TH APRIL
RECIEVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENTS 30TH APRIL
MAY 2016 BIOMETRICS TAKEN 10TH MAY

AP/EAD APPROVED K1 13TH MAY

COMBO CARD ARRIVED 21ST MAY

JUNE 2016 APPROVED AOS (NO INTERVIEW) K1-K2 3RD JUNE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Sounds like your county is one who sends all certificates to the state and you will need to get it from the state / just a guess really

as my certificates are all kept by county but my friiend was delayed as her state kept the certificates and after the marriage she had to wait about 5 weeks for paperwork to get to the state government offices to get her certificate

Timeline

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I knew that I had seen people say they filed after the 90 days so wasn't too worried but just wanted to clarify!

I will try to speak to the lady but she seemed very adamant on the process unfortunately!

She did say she would give me a copy of the documentation they fill out on the day to prove that we were there on that day and got married so we will see what that looks like.

By the sounds of it I think they do send off all the documentation and don't deal with the certificates directly which is frustrating! I live in Florida. Has anyone else in Florida had the same situation?

Charlotte

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Did you tell her it was for immigration process and you want it as soon as possible? It could be that they don't deal with the certificates it could also be that she didn't know about your immigration process and just figured you were anxious.

Timeline

Yeah we told her and explained the situation and she could see we were a little concerned but did not bat an eyelid so I think she either didn't care or there are no expediting services that they offer. We will mention again when we go tomorrow and hope for the best.

Can you go to a different county? Can you offer to "walk" the license to the clerk's office to get recorded faster?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We got married in St. Augustine, Florida (St. John's County), and we were able to get several certified copies of the marriage certificate right then and there. I second the suggestion of trying a different county if you are in a hurry to file for AOS.

K1 Visa timeline: Application sent to Visa in hand: 10 months and 4 days (Texas Service Center)

02/26/2015: I-129F Application mailed to Texas lockbox

03/05/2015: NOA1 email notification

08/27/2015: NOA2! (176 days)

09/02/2015: Sent to NVC

09/14/2015: Called NVC and obtained MTL case number

09/18/2015: In Transit to MTL consulate

09/21/2015: Consulate received our file (24 days post-NOA2)

09/24/2015: Sent Packet 3 (unprompted, but CEAC status had updated a second time)

09/29/2015: Packet 4 received, interview scheduled. Still haven't received Packet 3, I advise not to wait for it!

10/09/2015: Received Packet 3 in the mail!

11/09/2015: Medical

12/16/2015: K1 Interview in Montreal (111 days from NOA2, 293 days total): Approved!

12/18/2015: CEAC status changed to Nonimmigrant Ready

12/21/2015: CEAC status changed to Nonimmigrant AP

12/24/2015: CEAC status changed to ISSUED! Merry Christmas!!

12/30/2015: Visa in hand

01/15/2016: POE @ Houlton, ME

01/22/2016: Married! (L)

AOS timeline: Application sent to card in hand: 6 months and 7 days.

01/25/2016: Mailed AOS, EAD & AP applications to Chicago via UPS

01/29/2016: NOA1 email notification x3

02/04/2016: Received NOA1 hard copies x3

02/29/2016: Still haven't received biometrics letter, Filed service request

03/30/2016: After more calls to Tier 2 and 2 service requests, letter still not received, USCIS said no appointment has been scheduled. Reached out to Congressman.

04/06/2016: Biometrics letter finally received thanks to Congressman's inquiry (Appointment scheduled 04/18/2016).

04/18/2016: Biometrics appointment

04/25/2016: Officially outside processing times for EAD/AP. Scheduled Infopass appointment for 05/10.

05/21/2016: Finally received email notice that EAD was approved on 05/19 after numerous service requests, infopass appt and ombudsman inquiry

05/23/2016: Received hard-copy letter notifying me that my AP was approved on the same day as my EAD. No hard-copy for EAD yet.

05/28/2016: Received EAD/AP Combo Card (122 days since filing).

06/21/2016: Received email notification of AOS interview (Appointment scheduled 07/21/2016)

07/21/2016: AOS interview. Approved, but file was missing medical. Local office can't issue GC until they receive medical from DOS.

07/25/2016: USCIS case status changed to New Card Is Being Produced!

08/01/2016: Green card in hand. ROC window opens Apr 29, 2018.

Timeline

Hi nicvel

That's a little frustrating to know since we are only in broward and could of gone to Miami-dade if we had of known! Haha but thank you anyway.

It seems there is no way to expedite but the guy who did the ceremony did give us a copy of the document. I don't think it's certified though.

Thank you all for your congratulations, looking forward to married life!

Charlotte

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.