Avary

Applying for AOS after 3 months. Worried

26 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Caliliving,

I'm in the same position. It's so expensive to file for AOS, we are really struggling to get the funds together for this part. I'm currently 3 months 'out of status' and not planning on leaving the country. Just out of curiosity as you waited so long to send off the forms, did you encounter any problems once you did file the AOS?

Thanks,

Lauren

inbox me if you have other questions.. also, you are from the UK so you wont have a problem either! it defintely is easier for WVP countries and you are not from a high fraud country! you wont have any problems.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Please read this USCIS link about legally working in the US: https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/working-us

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

~Two posts removed for VJ Terms of Service (TOS) violations: http://www.visajourney.com/content/terms . We all agreed to abide by the TOS when we joined the forum. Failure to abide by the TOS could result in administrative action.~

~Post constructively, bearing in mind the TOS, or do not post.~

The specific TOS involved is:

Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Timeline

dont scare the poor guy! LOL! yes, file the paperwork.. but honestly, their are so many illegal immigrants in this country! unless you do something bad, i doubt you will be deported!

I wasn't trying to scare the poor guy. Just giving them the plain, un-sugarcoated truth. I never mentioned the word deported. There are several postings of mobile CBP checkpoints in southern Texas, and folks relating of having run afoul of these checkpoints and the real-life consequences that can directly affect them and their families.

This forum and the associated progress forum have plenty of success postings. However, there are also numerous posting of folks that have run afoul of USCIS and the resulting tales of woe. Myself and other veterans mention this to alert folks to these real-life possibilities.

YMMV.

Edited by Pitaya

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I applied for AOS for me and my son, 5 months after we got married... but I would've done it earlier if we have the money... It's so hard being no 'identity'; hubby couldn't add me in his bank account, i couldn't get license and can't get a job... But our AOS is done now, thank God it was a quick process

K1 Visa:

April 8, 2014 : Got engaged! :luv:
K1 Visa:

October 31, 2014 : I-129f mailed to Dallas Lockbox

November 4, 2014 : NOA1 in text/email (TSC)

November 14, 2014 : NOA1 hardcopy received

April 6, 2015 : NOA2!!!!!! :dancing::luv: (Approved date was 4th of April; 5 months from NOA1)

April 10, 2015 : Sent to NVC

April 14, 2015 : NOA2 hardcopy received

April 23, 2015 : Called NVC and got case #JAK

April 25, 2015 : CEAC status 'In Transit'

May 5, 2015 : - NVC Letter received

- CEAC status 'Ready'

May 11, 2015 : Packet 3 received

May 20, 2015 : Medical

May 29, 2015 : Packet 3 sent

June 18, 2015 : Interview! (Visa Approved!! ) ~ No RFE

July 4, 2015 : POE Chicago, IL

(L) September 25, 2015 : Wedding Day (L)

AOS:

Feb 21, 2016 : Applications sent (I-485 and I-765)

March 6, 2016 : Text notification received, Online status updated Case was received on Feb 25, 2016

March 10, 2016 : NOA1 in mail

March 18, 2016 : Biometric Appointment letters received in mail

March 31, 2016 : Biometrics done!

April 21, 2016 : EAD Approved (online status)

April 26, 2016 : EAD Approval letter received in mail

April 28, 2016 : EAD Card received in mail

May 5, 2016 : Applied for SSN

May 9, 2016 : AOS approved! (74 days from NOA1) ~ No RFE, No Interview

May 12, 2016 : status changed to GC was mailed!

May 14, 2016 : Green card received in mail

D9n0p7.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi Caliliving,

I'm in the same position. It's so expensive to file for AOS, we are really struggling to get the funds together for this part. I'm currently 3 months 'out of status' and not planning on leaving the country. Just out of curiosity as you waited so long to send off the forms, did you encounter any problems once you did file the AOS?

Thanks,

Lauren

Yes, filing for AOS is quite expensive! That is the part that I'm having trouble with also!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Realities of life:

1. The Federal government has unlimited time and resources to make our lives miserable.

2. The fees for AOS/EAD/AP need to have been placed in a separate, otherwise-untouchable account early during the petition process.

3. People here who expect or recommend shortcuts are doing themselves and others a disservice.

4. In particular, CBP/ICE agents tend to be in foul moods and are looking to nail somebody.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, I arrived with a K1 visa and got married in 90 days. My husband and I still took time to compromise and adapt each other's living style after the registration. Then we decided to apply for my adjustment of Status finally, but it is already 3 months after our marriage. I know that many couples will finish marriage and submission I-485 within 90 days. Is that ok we fill in forms and continue the procedure like other couples or we need to renew my I-94 form before we move next? (As we need I-94 record number for I-485 but the date on it is expired). Please advice, many thanks.

you are still fine, as long as you got married within 90 days upon arrival. Just file for Adjustment of Status as soon as possible so you can obtain your green card and you won't be out of status

AOS Journey

1/31/16 - Got married

2/24/16 - AOS, EAD, AP packet sent

2/29/16 - Received Date

3/03/16 - Received text and email notification

3/04/16 - Check cashed

3/07/16 - I-797 hardcopy received

3/19/16 - Biometric scheduled received by mail

4/06/16 - I-485 online status changed to Ready to be Scheduled for Interview

4/15/16 - I-485 online status changed to INTERVIEW SCHEDULED

4/17/16 - Interview Notice hardcopy received

4/28/16 - AP & EAD approval date

5/02/16 - AP approval letter received

5/05/16 - EAD card received

5/17/16 - AOS interview

5/23/16 - Online status changed to CASE APPROVE dated 5/18/16

5/23/16 - Received AOS approval letter in the mail

5/23/16 - Online status changed to CARD WAS MAILED TO ME

5/24/16 - Card was picked-up by USPS (online status)

5/26/16 - Green Card on Hand!!! :goofy:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My wife andI just started the process.We took some time to put our finaces together before we started filing.I was out of status for awhile before we started it.I spoke to a USCIS rep and she said it didnt matter as long as we were married before the 90 days.I recommend that you get started as soon as you can because as someone else said on gthis thread,you are in a state of limbo.

Hi, I arrived with a K1 visa and got married in 90 days. My husband and I still took time to compromise and adapt each other's living style after the registration. Then we decided to apply for my adjustment of Status finally, but it is already 3 months after our marriage. I know that many couples will finish marriage and submission I-485 within 90 days. Is that ok we fill in forms and continue the procedure like other couples or we need to renew my I-94 form before we move next? (As we need I-94 record number for I-485 but the date on it is expired). Please advice, many thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.