JohnNHenry

Driver License ( or Learner permit)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi guys,

I live in Alabama, and I would like to apply for a driver license (or at least a learner permit). I went to the DMV to apply for it because I got more than 180 days on my K1 visa; however only 90 days in my I-94 unfortunately. They refused letting me take a test with a reason that I did not have enough 180 days in my I-94 and asked me to extend my I-94. I checked online and know that USCIS will NOT consider extending I-94 for K1 visa holders (and also some people in CA mentioned that they could not get their driver licenses until they got their green cards), so basically I need to wait until I got my permanent resident visa in order to apply for a driver license.

On the other hand, I have a friend in North Carolina and she was allowed to take a writing test and got the learner permit after she had got her working permit. She told me they just required from her a working permit (Which makes sense cause you need to drive to work). Therefore, I wonder if I can apply for a learner permit at least? because my working permit is being printed and delivered to me soon.

Besides the working permit, what else should I prepare for the application?

Thank you very much in advance for any of your opinions.!

BR,

Henry N Giddens

Timeline

It's dependant on your dmv. Call them and ask. Some will give you a licence with your EAD expiring when it does, others want greencard in hand. Perhaps someone here has an experience.

Thank you. I have been trying calling them for couple of days, but they are always busy..lol

Will keep on trying. :)

Henry N Giddens

http://dps.alabama.gov/Home/wfContent.aspx?ID=30&PLH1=plhDriverLicense-DocumentRequirementsAndFees

Additional Secondary Documents for Non-U.S. Citizens
  • Employment authorization document with valid Social Security card.
  • Valid visa (with supporting documents) authorizing presence in the United States for a period exceeding 160 days.
  • Valid I-94 arrival/departure record issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
  • Original I-797 (notice of action) issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, showing approval of change of status or extension of stay.
  • Original I-797 (notice of action) issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, evidencing timely filing of an extension petition.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

http://dps.alabama.gov/Home/wfContent.aspx?ID=30&PLH1=plhDriverLicense-DocumentRequirementsAndFees

Additional Secondary Documents for Non-U.S. Citizens
  • Employment authorization document with valid Social Security card.
  • Valid visa (with supporting documents) authorizing presence in the United States for a period exceeding 160 days.
  • Valid I-94 arrival/departure record issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
  • Original I-797 (notice of action) issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, showing approval of change of status or extension of stay.
  • Original I-797 (notice of action) issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, evidencing timely filing of an extension petition.

Thank you very much.

Sadly, my I-94 have already expired since there were only 90 days. I got one I-797 but it was like a form stating the date, time and location where I should go to have my fingerprints. Is it the one they need?

BR,

Henry N Giddens

When your EAD arrives you should have no problem obtaining your permit. I'd also probably follow it up with an SSN if you haven't got one. You may need another written address form of proof, such as an official government letter/notice or a bill or bank statement with your name/address.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

When your EAD arrives you should have no problem obtaining your permit. I'd also probably follow it up with an SSN if you haven't got one. You may need another written address form of proof, such as an official government letter/notice or a bill or bank statement with your name/address.

Thank you very much.

I got my SSN even before the EAD..lol

It's seem okay, I will go ahead and give it another try.

I will also give them a call to verify. (just to make sure) :)

Henry N Giddens

Thank you very much.

Sadly, my I-94 have already expired since there were only 90 days. I got one I-797 but it was like a form stating the date, time and location where I should go to have my fingerprints. Is it the one they need?

BR,

I would suggest using the NOA-1

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to Moving to the US and Your New Life In America Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Hi guys,

I live in Alabama, and I would like to apply for a driver license (or at least a learner permit). I went to the DMV to apply for it because I got more than 180 days on my K1 visa; however only 90 days in my I-94 unfortunately. They refused letting me take a test with a reason that I did not have enough 180 days in my I-94 and asked me to extend my I-94. I checked online and know that USCIS will NOT consider extending I-94 for K1 visa holders (and also some people in CA mentioned that they could not get their driver licenses until they got their green cards), so basically I need to wait until I got my permanent resident visa in order to apply for a driver license.

On the other hand, I have a friend in North Carolina and she was allowed to take a writing test and got the learner permit after she had got her working permit. She told me they just required from her a working permit (Which makes sense cause you need to drive to work). Therefore, I wonder if I can apply for a learner permit at least? because my working permit is being printed and delivered to me soon.

Besides the working permit, what else should I prepare for the application?

Thank you very much in advance for any of your opinions.!

BR,

Hey there, you might want to try other DMV departments if there is. I'm not sure about Alabama but in Georgia, I tried to apply without I-94 expiry, tried with NOA, SSN, and I was told that I was not able to get it until I get my green card, they refused to let me take the test. So I went home did alot of search on it, and some people from Georgia was able to get it with EAD, I went back when I got my EAD, still was not able to get my learner's permit!

I just managed to apply recently after getting my green card on hand! I wasted 6 months of time, could've gotten my driving license by then. I heard from other Georgia poster, she had the same problem but managed to solve it by going to other DMV locations. Not everyone knows about K1 Visa.

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

Timeline

Hey there, you might want to try other DMV departments if there is. I'm not sure about Alabama but in Georgia, I tried to apply without I-94 expiry, tried with NOA, SSN, and I was told that I was not able to get it until I get my green card, they refused to let me take the test. So I went home did alot of search on it, and some people from Georgia was able to get it with EAD, I went back when I got my EAD, still was not able to get my learner's permit!

I just managed to apply recently after getting my green card on hand! I wasted 6 months of time, could've gotten my driving license by then. I heard from other Georgia poster, she had the same problem but managed to solve it by going to other DMV locations. Not everyone knows about K1 Visa.

Oh wow. Good to know, thank you very much for this information.

I will try to contact other DMV offices for more information. Sorry to hear that you had to wait up to 6 months..:/

Henry N Giddens

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.