1,215 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, jolyn69 said:

Hi.i received the message Dec 10 .I checked my case status everyday but unfortunately no good news..i really pray to receive the approval soon because i am planning to take vacation in our home country.

Give them until the end of these month and after that call them. I did call them before Christmas and was told the same generic info that is why I was surprise to be approved...anyway, I'm just like you I'll be back in Phil. for my brother's wedding...be positive , i know for sure it will happen very soon!!! 

April 10, 2017       Filed for N-400

April 12, 2017      NOA

April 17, 2017      Check cashed

May 12, 2017       Biometrics scheduled

May 16, 2017      In-Line for Interview

Mar 12, 2018       Received scheduled interview letter

Apr 20, 2018        Scheduled interview

Apr 20, 2018        Naturalization interview APPROVED !!!

Jun 18, 2018       In-line for the Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The combined I-751/N-400 conundrum is of great interest to us because of our 2017 plans.  My spouse can file the N-400 paperwork as of April 17, 2017.  We are (unfortunately) VSC filers.  As of this moment, I believe that the I-751 will NOT have been touched as of April 17.

We need to be in Australia for 3 months in June - August 2017 for several reasons.  My spouse has a medical procedure (annual follow up from a cancer scare 3 years ago) in Australia at the end of June, and I need to spend another 70 days in Australia to renew my Australian permanent residency visa.

We believe that our I-751 paperwork is pretty comprehensive.  The only reason we think we might be chosen for an I-751 interview is that we are one of the first same-sex couples to go through the whole 1-130 through CR/1 process after DOMA was repealed.  Our financial co-mingling and our relationship evidence is very solid, so I'm thinking we might be in the 90% who don't get called.  But if we ARE called for an interview, that is going to complicate things if we are in Australia. I really do not want to risk things and try to reschedule.

As far as I can see, our local ACS office (Albany, NY) is a year behind (processing April 2016 N-400s at the moment). 

Should we wait to apply for citizenship until we are back in the US (September 2017)?  If we apply in April 2017, when eligible, what are the risks that my spouse would be called for an interview during June - August?   I'm not quite sure what happens time-wise when the N-400 comes in on top of the I-751.  I know that forces them to adjudicate the I-751, but does it also speed up the N-400 process?

We already know we'll probably have to make an Infopass appointment to get her passport stamped before we leave for Oz.  Her 2-year Green Card expiration date is July 15, 2017.  With VSC now about 15 months behind, I don't hold out much hope for the 10-year Green Card arriving before the end of May.

I know most of us are in the same boat - so we don't really know what's happening behind the scenes, but perhaps someone knows someone who is paddling in the same direction....

Thanks all!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

11 hours ago, bryneff said:

Give them until the end of these month and after that call them. I did call them before Christmas and was told the same generic info that is why I was surprise to be approved...anyway, I'm just like you I'll be back in Phil. for my brother's wedding...be positive , i know for sure it will happen very soon!!! 

thank you so much.you make me feel better.Enjoy your vacation .there is no place like home.

20 hours ago, Sukie said:

The combined I-751/N-400 conundrum is of great interest to us because of our 2017 plans.  My spouse can file the N-400 paperwork as of April 17, 2017.  We are (unfortunately) VSC filers.  As of this moment, I believe that the I-751 will NOT have been touched as of April 17.

We need to be in Australia for 3 months in June - August 2017 for several reasons.  My spouse has a medical procedure (annual follow up from a cancer scare 3 years ago) in Australia at the end of June, and I need to spend another 70 days in Australia to renew my Australian permanent residency visa.

We believe that our I-751 paperwork is pretty comprehensive.  The only reason we think we might be chosen for an I-751 interview is that we are one of the first same-sex couples to go through the whole 1-130 through CR/1 process after DOMA was repealed.  Our financial co-mingling and our relationship evidence is very solid, so I'm thinking we might be in the 90% who don't get called.  But if we ARE called for an interview, that is going to complicate things if we are in Australia. I really do not want to risk things and try to reschedule.

As far as I can see, our local ACS office (Albany, NY) is a year behind (processing April 2016 N-400s at the moment). 

Should we wait to apply for citizenship until we are back in the US (September 2017)?  If we apply in April 2017, when eligible, what are the risks that my spouse would be called for an interview during June - August?   I'm not quite sure what happens time-wise when the N-400 comes in on top of the I-751.  I know that forces them to adjudicate the I-751, but does it also speed up the N-400 process?

We already know we'll probably have to make an Infopass appointment to get her passport stamped before we leave for Oz.  Her 2-year Green Card expiration date is July 15, 2017.  With VSC now about 15 months behind, I don't hold out much hope for the 10-year Green Card arriving before the end of May.

I know most of us are in the same boat - so we don't really know what's happening behind the scenes, but perhaps someone knows someone who is paddling in the same direction....

Thanks all!

Sukie in NY

Sukie, I hope they don't give you guys a hard time. I don't think that the repeal of DOMA will have an effect on your case. If there were implications I think it would have been widely publicized because that are thousands in the same boat as you.

You said: "As far as I can see, our local ACS office (Albany, NY) is a year behind (processing April 2016 N-400s at the moment)."

In fact, they're processing April 2016 as of October 31. This means that N-400 applications are taking 6 month to process and that's pretty much standard processing time for N-400. However, given your situation I would hold of on filing N-400 until you guys return. If you file N-400 you're guaranteed an interview and there's a good chance you won't be in the country. An interview for ROC is less likely. Chances are, your case will be approve so even if you're not in the country it's no big deal. In the event you are called for a ROC interview, postponing the interview based on a medical related trip is more than excusable. As a matter of fact, it adds to your validity of a real marriage so it can help in the event of an interview.

Best Wishes

AOS (I-485) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

March.....17, 2014..........Package Mailed

March.....20, 2014..........Package Received

April........25, 2014..........Biometrics Taken

June.........7, 2014..........Received EAD (mailbox)

June.......10, 2014..........Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC (hellish experience but approved on the spot)

June.......16, 2014..........Received GC (mailbox)

ROC (I-751) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

April.......23, 2016...........Package Mailed

April.......26, 2016...........Package Accepted (NOA Receipt Letter - Conditional Status Extended)

June......10, 2016...........Biometrics Taken

April.........8, 2017...........Conditions Lifted (Application Approved)

April......14, 2017............Approval Letter Received (USPS Stamp Dated April 11, 2017)

May.........1, 2017............Received 10 yr GC (mailbox)

Naturalization (N-400) - National Benefits Center | NYC Field Office (3 year Rule)

April....17, 2017.............Package Mailed

April....19, 2017.............Package Received 

May.....19, 2017.............Biometrics Taken

May.....26, 2017.............In Line for Interview

Sep.....12, 2017.............Interview at Federal Plaza (Recommended)

Sep.....27, 2017.............Oath Ceremony (Federal Plaza) - My journey has ended. Will be starting the AOS process for my mom soon. Another chapter will be written.

US Passport & Card: 2017 Applicants
======================================
==================================================
UserName......|Expedited|Sent....|CheckCash|TrackDate|PASSPORT|PPT-CARD|NAT CERT|Location

Private One...|No.......|09/30/17|10/04/17.|10/04/17.|10/14/17|No......|10/13/17|New York, NY

6 hours ago, Private One said:

Sukie, I hope they don't give you guys a hard time. I don't think that the repeal of DOMA will have an effect on your case. If there were implications I think it would have been widely publicized because that are thousands in the same boat as you.

You said: "As far as I can see, our local ACS office (Albany, NY) is a year behind (processing April 2016 N-400s at the moment)."

In fact, they're processing April 2016 as of October 31. This means that N-400 applications are taking 6 month to process and that's pretty much standard processing time for N-400. However, given your situation I would hold of on filing N-400 until you guys return. If you file N-400 you're guaranteed an interview and there's a good chance you won't be in the country. An interview for ROC is less likely. Chances are, your case will be approve so even if you're not in the country it's no big deal. In the event you are called for a ROC interview, postponing the interview based on a medical related trip is more than excusable. As a matter of fact, it adds to your validity of a real marriage so it can help in the event of an interview.

Best Wishes

You seem to be the most on top of the duel filing of the N400. Is it still advice of the board to go ahead and file the N400 while waiting? We could wait until ROC is done, but I wanted to go ahead and file and just BE DONE with it all. Also, there is a small possibility that my husband wants to move back to his country and I told him "not without a USA passport!!!"

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Timeline

Lucybelle, on another site I found out that, in order to adjudicate the I-751 and the N-400 AT THE SAME TIME, the I-751 package has to be sent to your local ACS.  It's the local ACS that does the N-400 work.

That's why Private One was suggesting that Julie and I wait to submit the N-400 until we are back in the US.  If the two submissions were adjudicated together, that would guarantee that Julie would have to be present for an interview. 

Even so - since it's taking AT LEAST six months for the N-400, I think we might even be safe submitting our package in April!  But we won't risk it.

I've seen both GO FOR IT and DON'T CONFUSE THE ISSUE forums.

For you, I say GO FOR IT.  Especially if you and your esposo are in the US and can respond to an interview date.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

Lucybelle, I'm with Sukie. Go for it! That's where I'm headed. I want to become a citizen for so many reason but none of them more important than filing for my mother who's been here illegally for 23 years. Having the ability to stay out of the country for however long I choose is also on that list. My wife has been talking about going back home to spend a year or so to explore starting a business there.

I've been in the US for 17 years (this summer) and have felt like a citizen for much of that time despite the constant reality checks that reminded me otherwise. I went from B2 Visitor to F1 Student to Illegal to LPR but even as a LPR you're reminded that you're not a citizen. There are so many restrictions...so much that I still can't do. A Customs and Border Protection Officer (CBPO) struck up a conversation with my wife and me on our way back from our 1st anniversary trip. Very friendly guy. He saw that I was looking at jobs on my laptop and wanted to know if I'd be interested in becoming a CBPO. He spoke of all the perks and went in pretty deep on other stuff and by the end I was really interested. He gave me info on how to get started and his contact info. He said it wasn't a sure thing but I had a good chance. I was super excited. I got on that website right away to start the application but I had to exit because I failed to meet the very first requirement - United States Citizenship.That was the case for quite a few other jobs I wanted to pursue. I thought I was past the point of rejection based on immigration status. I could go on and on with stories like these and I'm sure many others here can do the same.

I'm going to file N-400 in March. Based on current processing time, it may be September till they get to my N-400 case. April 26 will be a year since I filed for ROC. I expect that the ROC case will be adjudicated well before September. ROC may go past a year by a month or two but I highly doubt it will take a year and five months.

AOS (I-485) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

March.....17, 2014..........Package Mailed

March.....20, 2014..........Package Received

April........25, 2014..........Biometrics Taken

June.........7, 2014..........Received EAD (mailbox)

June.......10, 2014..........Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC (hellish experience but approved on the spot)

June.......16, 2014..........Received GC (mailbox)

ROC (I-751) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

April.......23, 2016...........Package Mailed

April.......26, 2016...........Package Accepted (NOA Receipt Letter - Conditional Status Extended)

June......10, 2016...........Biometrics Taken

April.........8, 2017...........Conditions Lifted (Application Approved)

April......14, 2017............Approval Letter Received (USPS Stamp Dated April 11, 2017)

May.........1, 2017............Received 10 yr GC (mailbox)

Naturalization (N-400) - National Benefits Center | NYC Field Office (3 year Rule)

April....17, 2017.............Package Mailed

April....19, 2017.............Package Received 

May.....19, 2017.............Biometrics Taken

May.....26, 2017.............In Line for Interview

Sep.....12, 2017.............Interview at Federal Plaza (Recommended)

Sep.....27, 2017.............Oath Ceremony (Federal Plaza) - My journey has ended. Will be starting the AOS process for my mom soon. Another chapter will be written.

US Passport & Card: 2017 Applicants
======================================
==================================================
UserName......|Expedited|Sent....|CheckCash|TrackDate|PASSPORT|PPT-CARD|NAT CERT|Location

Private One...|No.......|09/30/17|10/04/17.|10/04/17.|10/14/17|No......|10/13/17|New York, NY

Timeline
7 hours ago, Private One said:

Lucybelle, I'm with Sukie. Go for it! That's where I'm headed. I want to become a citizen for so many reason but none of them more important than filing for my mother who's been here illegally for 23 years. Having the ability to stay out of the country for however long I choose is also on that list. My wife has been talking about going back home to spend a year or so to explore starting a business there.

Private One, I found your main reason for becoming a citizen very sweet.  I want my spouse to become a citizen for two main reasons - first of all - as an LPR, she would not get the spousal benefit should I predecease her, and the tax burden might be quite onerous.  While I'm a little younger and a lot healthier than she is, there is always the chance I might go first.  I guess when you are in your 60s, these thoughts hit a little closer to home.

The second reason is the ability to move between our home countries without watching out for that six month thingie.  Ideally, I'd like to get my Australian citizenship as well, but the residency requirements for Australia are much harder than the residency requirement for the US!

These are really the only differences we can see at the moment. 

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

Timeline
7 hours ago, Private One said:

Private One, I found your main reason for becoming a citizen very sweet.  I want my spouse to become a citizen for two main reasons - first of all - as an LPR, she would not get the spousal benefit should I predecease her, and the tax burden might be quite onerous.  While I'm a little younger and a lot healthier than she is, there is always the chance I might go first.  I guess when you are in your 60s, these thoughts hit a little closer to home.

The second reason is the ability to move between our home countries without watching out for that six month thingie.  Ideally, I'd like to get my Australian citizenship as well, but the residency requirements for Australia are much harder than the residency requirement for the US!

These are really the only differences we can see at the moment. 

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

Just noticed that the processing time for the California Service Center has updated and is now processing cases as of May 14th 2016. As an April filer with no updates, this does not make me feel any better!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

April 29th CSC filer approved! My status changed today! Can someone update the list please. Thank you so much everyone for your help.

Removal of Condition

04/26/2016 I-751 Waiver Filed at CSC

04/29/2016 NOA

05/05/2016 Check Cleared

06/03/2016 Biometrics Appointment

01/11/2017 I-751 Waiver Approved (New Card in Production)

5 hours ago, AnaMatt said:

April 29th CSC filer approved! My status changed today! Can someone update the list please. Thank you so much everyone for your help.

congrats..im still waiting for my approval.i am  also april  29 filer.

Filed: Timeline
On 1/10/2017 at 3:49 PM, liammc1985 said:

Just noticed that the processing time for the California Service Center has updated and is now processing cases as of May 14th 2016. As an April filer with no updates, this does not make me feel any better!

Not Exatcly I am from May 05, and still waiting???

Remember VJ member is just a fraction of all applicants nationwaide....!!!

• (0 Days) 02/08/14---- I485, I130, I765 Sent
  • (2 Days) 02/10/14 ---- USPS.COM package deliver
  • (12 Days) 02/19/14 ---- NOA Received for all apps
  • (20 Days) 02/27/14 ---- NOA1 Biometrics app for I485, I765 Appointment for 03/13/14
  • (21 Days) 02/28/14 ---- Successful walk in for biometrics at local UCIS Miami --- Same day license renew
  • (48 Days) 03/27/14 ----- Driver License arrived
  • (54 Days) 04/02/14 ----- Status change online for I485 "testing Interview"
  • (61 Days) 04/09/14 ----- Called UCIS to expedite my I765
  • (62 Days) 04/10/14 ----- Meet with my congressman asking him to call on my behalf to expedite my I765
  • (63 Days) 04/11/14 ----- Email recieved from USCIS Requesting proof of financial hardship and job offer FAX SENT @16:02 04/11/14
  • (68 Days) 04/16/14 ----- EAD Status change to "CARD/DOCUMENT PRODUCTION" :dance: :dance: :dance: ----- notification Via E-mail and Txt
  • (73 days) 04-21-14 ----- As per USCIS Email EAD was Mailed today Tracking number ETA 4/23 As per USPS.com
  • (76 days) 04-24-14 ----- EAD arrived a day later than the USPS estimate, I went to SSA to apply
  • (83 Days) 05-01-14 ----- SSC Arrived AND THE NUMBER IS 123-45-6789 ....... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  • (95 Days) 05-13-14 ----- I485 interview date sent for June 16, 2014
  • (134 DAYS) 05-16-14 ------ INTERVIEW DAY........ OUTCOME IO SAY THEY WILL MAKE A DECISION IN THE NEXT 30 DAYS
  • (143 DAYS)06-25-14 ------ - E-MAIL & TXT RECEIVED FROM USCIS STATUS CHANGE FOR CARD/DOCUMENT PRODUCTION THANK GOD....!!!!!!
  • (145 DAYS)06-27-14 ----- GC ARRIVED TODAY IN THE MAIL........

I-751 Process Start

• 05-02---- I-751 Sent
  • 05-04 ---- Package arrived as per USPS Online
  • 05-10----- Proof of delivery confirmation arrived USPS
  • 05-16 ---- NOA1 Received
  • 06-13 ----- biometrics done

On 1/8/2017 at 6:29 PM, Sukie said:

Lucybelle, on another site I found out that, in order to adjudicate the I-751 and the N-400 AT THE SAME TIME, the I-751 package has to be sent to your local ACS.  It's the local ACS that does the N-400 work.

That's why Private One was suggesting that Julie and I wait to submit the N-400 until we are back in the US.  If the two submissions were adjudicated together, that would guarantee that Julie would have to be present for an interview. 

Even so - since it's taking AT LEAST six months for the N-400, I think we might even be safe submitting our package in April!  But we won't risk it.

I've seen both GO FOR IT and DON'T CONFUSE THE ISSUE forums.

For you, I say GO FOR IT.  Especially if you and your esposo are in the US and can respond to an interview date.

Sukie in NY

On 1/9/2017 at 10:04 AM, Private One said:

I've been in the US for 17 years (this summer) and have felt like a citizen for much of that time despite the constant reality checks that reminded me otherwise. I went from B2 Visitor to F1 Student to Illegal to LPR but even as a LPR you're reminded that you're not a citizen. There are so many restrictions...so much that I still can't do. A Customs and Border Protection Officer (CBPO) struck up a conversation with my wife and me on our way back from our 1st anniversary trip. Very friendly guy. He saw that I was looking at jobs on my laptop and wanted to know if I'd be interested in becoming a CBPO. He spoke of all the perks and went in pretty deep on other stuff and by the end I was really interested. He gave me info on how to get started and his contact info. He said it wasn't a sure thing but I had a good chance. I was super excited. I got on that website right away to start the application but I had to exit because I failed to meet the very first requirement - United States Citizenship.That was the case for quite a few other jobs I wanted to pursue. I thought I was past the point of rejection based on immigration status. I could go on and on with stories like these and I'm sure many others here can do the same.

I'm going to file N-400 in March. Based on current processing time, it may be September till they get to my N-400 case. April 26 will be a year since I filed for ROC. I expect that the ROC case will be adjudicated well before September. ROC may go past a year by a month or two but I highly doubt it will take a year and five months.

Thanks so much for feedback guys!

The main reason I want my husband to be a citizen is just to BE DONE WITH THIS MADNESS!!!

But really more than that is he works for a international company and historically employees are asked to move abroad for 2-3 years.  I would be SO EXCITED to do something like that.  But we can't if he doesn't have citizenship.  He would still be paid as a US employee and obviously would have to maintain status to continued to be employed.  It seems like there could be an opportunity opening up at the end of this year.  It'd be great if we could have a US passport by then!!!!

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Congrats! This thread has become pretty large indeed! To reduce server loads I will need to close this "large thread" however please feel free to start a "part 2, 3, 4..." of this thread from scratch! :)Thank you for understanding. My goal is to make the VJ server as snappy as possible :).

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.