MidAtlanticMerge

Failed the medical - how long until a decision comes?

44 posts in this topic

Have you read all the drug related posts on here? Lots of people feel honesty is the best policy and they do say yes. Because not a lot of people know about the ban. Then they come here and ask for help.

I agree - lots of people say yes. Lying to them is very scary! I imagine getting caught in a lie like that would/could result in a permanent ban.

If it were me I'd probably lie however... (Im not a drug user, but I have tried in the past)

The question becomes did he deny using and then test positive ? That can lead to a longer bar for misrepresentation

Thankfully no. He was truthful and tested positive.

Edited by MidAtlanticMerge

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Post violating the below quoted provision of the TOS removed along with post quoting. Administrative Action taken***

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:
  • Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree - lots of people say yes. Lying to them is very scary! I imagine getting caught in a lie like that would/could result in a permanent ban.

If it were me I'd probably lie however... (Im not a drug user, but I have tried in the past)

Thankfully no. He was truthful and tested positive.

America's war on drugs has been going on for a long time. It doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon federally. I've seen a lot of people come on here and mention that there are states where it's legal to smoke. That may be true, but it's still a federal crime. While you're (not you literally) an immigrant it's best to remember this up until you become a citizen.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Thanks for the supportive comment.

Sorry if you took it as a blunt, rude, crass comment, but I am of the mindset that if something is illegal in the country you are moving to, you probably should cease the action. Even if you lived in a legal state, it is still federally illegal, and the immigration process isn't handled by state governments, it is handled by the federal government. It is a good idea to abide by all laws of the country you are travelling, moving, immigrating to to avoid problems.

Edited by Chris and ZhiJia

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

America's war on drugs has been going on for a long time. It doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon federally. I've seen a lot of people come on here and mention that there are states where it's legal to smoke. That may be true, but it's still a federal crime. While you're (not you literally) an immigrant it's best to remember this up until you become a citizen.

Agree with you totally, now that I've had this experience. Our lawyer told us after the fact that the govt holds immigrants to a higher standard than the average citizen. Hearing that was kind of like a lightbulb moment. It might not seem 'fair' to some but seems logical... I just wish the lawyer told us this before and not after.

At Knightsbridge clinic in London there is a form to fill out and bring in as well as another similar to fill out when you arrive at the appointment. Both ask about drug use. During the exam, the doctor will chat away about various things and usually brings up drug use. Some will say "no" thinking the questions are for habitual users. The doctor will seem friendly and like it is no big deal and say "oh surely you tried it just once at a party or something." An admission of ever, even once twenty years ago, of trying a drug will get you a urine test for drug screening. A clean screening usually allows a visa in London.

The blood testing is for sexually transmitted diseases. They are not screening the blood for drugs. At Knightsbridge clinic you will only be tested for drugs if you admit ever using or have drugs on your police record. One guy I recall smoked in his hotel room the night before going to his K1 interview. The consulate officer was suspicious of his behavior or his reeking of marijuana odor, and sent him straight to a drug testing facility.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Agree with you totally, now that I've had this experience. Our lawyer told us after the fact that the govt holds immigrants to a higher standard than the average citizen. Hearing that was kind of like a lightbulb moment. It might not seem 'fair' to some but seems logical... I just wish the lawyer told us this before and not after.

That's where lawyers can be unhelpful. They often remember these things after the fact. Coming from Canada I'll admit it seemed crazy that using marijuana could be an inadmissibity. But I respect that it's the law. Canada has a high standard of not letting people into the country with dui convictions. It's ####### for tat I suppose.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The past is the past, he has a drug issue, how are you addressing it?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

The past is the past, he has a drug issue, how are you addressing it?

Well we don't feel he has a drug issue. And we don't think everyone who smokes weed occasionally has a drug issue. You may disagree or maybe we have different definitions of what a drug issue is. We understand that regardless, its is against the law.

We have addressed it by him not smoking... I am not up on the latest studies but I am under the impression that weed isn't addictive. He certainly isn't addicted so he has had no problem not smoking. We will do whatever the embassy tells us to do.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well we don't feel he has a drug issue. And we don't think everyone who smokes weed occasionally has a drug issue. You may disagree or maybe we have different definitions of what a drug issue is. We understand that regardless, its is against the law.

We have addressed it by him not smoking... I am not up on the latest studies but I am under the impression that weed isn't addictive. He certainly isn't addicted so he has had no problem not smoking. We will do whatever the embassy tells us to do.

What I think does not matter, what the Doctor and the Consulate think does.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Ten posts have been removed, because they were arguably rude, unnecessarily argumentative, or quoted such verbiage. Any more of this will result in thread-bans or worse. For now, this thread will remain open so that the OP can provide updates and so that others can ask objective questions about the situation.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

There wasn't much research that needed to be done.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Medical/LND%20-%20London

The document you were required to print out and bring with you to the Medical tells you what to expect. It literally states (Physical Exam, Chest X-Ray, and Blood Test). I mean what did you think they were drawing blood for, there are many drugs that don't show up in a urine sample, a blood test is the best way to analyze for drug usage. It is just most employers don't use this method, because the cost of a blood test is far far greater than a urine sample.

Just to clear something up incase other users read this in the future - the drug test wasnt done via the blood sample. It was done on the urine sample.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.