ssp1994

Preparing for visa interview for self and parents

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hello

I am a 21 years old unmarried female from India. I am currently in the first year of my Msc(2 year course). I along with my parents have a visitor visa appointment at mumbai embassy on 21st march. My parents have their own business here in india. We wish to visit my elder sister and her husband living in san jose. Our trip will be sponsored by my sister's husband. How strong are the chances of us getting the visa? What documents should i carry to support our case?

Filed: Timeline

first, for how long is the proposed visit? If several months, that instantly begs the question of 'how is that possible if your parents have a business to attend to while you are supposed to be attending school?

Second, your ties as far as school goes is minimal....you are about to start a short program, one that you could easily abandon without any problem

Third, you are young, single, etc....the classic profile for a 'husband shopper' in the US (one that might already be arranged, for ex)

Fourth, how did your sister acquire her LPR status or whatever status she currently has?

These are some things to consider....overall, your parents' chance is probably 50-50; yours is probably less than 5% (barring additional credible information)

Timeline

1. We plan to stay for 1 month

2. We have our campus placements in a few months. Can i show the reciept for my registration for campus activity?

3. Isnt 21 too young to fit in that profile?

4. My sister is on dependant visa. Her husband has H1

Questions like these can not have definitive answers.

Why can't the applicants tell the CO for how long they plan to visit?

Or what status their daughter is in?

They, of course, cannot answer questions on behalf of the 21 year old - she is an adult - she has to answer questions herself.

1. We plan to stay for 1 month

2. We have our campus placements in a few months. Can i show the reciept for my registration for campus activity?

3. Isnt 21 too young to fit in that profile?

how can a receipt 'force' you go board an airplane from the United States?

Right now, you have not taken a single class, so abandoning these studies would be easy.

21 is right in the middle of the 'husband shopper' profile....(starts at about 18, all the way to near 30)...

Again, you can thank thousands of your fellow citizens who have 'forgotten' to return or had the ever popular 'mind change' while standing at the baggage carousel....

and why is this trip so important, especially for you? It won't be cheap.

I can probably guess....your sister is about to have a child and wants to return to work (where is she working, BTW?) and needs someone to provide child care?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Best to show your own funds, there is no sponsorship for a tourist visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

how can a receipt 'force' you go board an airplane from the United States?

Right now, you have not taken a single class, so abandoning these studies would be easy.

21 is right in the middle of the 'husband shopper' profile....(starts at about 18, all the way to near 30)...

Again, you can thank thousands of your fellow citizens who have 'forgotten' to return or had the ever popular 'mind change' while standing at the baggage carousel....

and why is this trip so important, especially for you? It won't be cheap.

I can probably guess....your sister is about to have a child and wants to return to work (where is she working, BTW?) and needs someone to provide child care?

No she is not expecting a child. We only plan to visit her and tour the US. And i am currently in the 2nd semester of my Msc course..i still have 2 more semesters to go.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So she has a H4 and can not work.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi SSP,

Your parents have a higher chance of having a visa approval than what you do.

But that does not mean that you will not get it. Like always, it is best to try and see. Make sure that you do carry the campus placement registration card. Flimsy as it might be to support your case, there still might be a chance.

Like HFM said earlier, you will be seen as a high-risk applicant who wishes to immigrate. Your age and marital status being tow of the most influential factors.

As for your education,it does not matter, since people have the option of transferring credits. However, always make certain that you apply and you explain things at the visa interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

He is a former CO I believe so his insight into the IO's thinking who will decide to grant OP's visa or not is very useful, even if he had a couple of presumptions wrong.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

He is a former CO I believe so his insight into the IO's thinking who will decide to grant OP's visa or not is very useful, even if he had a couple of presumptions wrong.

A former CO would know what the visa of a spouse of a H1 visa holder would be and that the H4 holder cant work!!! But thanks for clarifying that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.