CRB

When to get married after arrival in US

9 posts in this topic

If everything goes well at the interview, we plan on leaving for the US in mid-April. We talked about setting the wedding date for mid June, exactly 3 years to the date we met. However, this would be almost 2 months into the 90-day time limit.

My question; should we get married sooner? I read somewhere that you should get married as soon as possible. I plan on applying for a Social Security Card about 2 weeks after her arrival and file the EAD along with the AOS as soon as possible after we get married.

Can anyone help me understand the importance of the timeline between arrival and marriage.

Thank you

AOS/AD,EAD

2016-06-20 AOS/AP/EAD sent to Chicago lockbox

2016-06-22 Package received

2016-07-01 check cashed

2016-07-05 NOA1 email messages received

2016-07-08 received 3 NOA1 hard copies

2016-07-15 Biometrics letter received, scheduled for July 29

2016-07-19 Biometrics completed, walk-in at Morrisville, NC office

2016-07-25 All 3 receipt numbers start showing up online

2016-08-15 I-485 status changed to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

2016-08-27 Received notices that EAD and AP are approved

2016-09-03 Received I-797 approval notices for EAD/AP in the mail

2016-09-06 Received EAD/AP combo card

2016-09-22 Interviewed Sep. 22, Green card not approved due to missing paperwork

2016-09-26 Submitted missing documentation

2016-09-28 Received text messages for I-485 "new card ordered" and "case was approved"

​2016-09-29 Went o local office to have passport stamped with I-551

2016-10-05 Green card arrived via Priority Mail (105 days)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

1. Your fiancé can apply for ssn 2 weeks after she arrives.

2. From the day she enters the country you guys have 90 days to get married, there is no timeline to apply for aos but if your fiancé wants to work soon then file asap after the wedding.

Chinook applied for a Social Security number a week or two after she arrived. We got married about six weeks after she arrived. As soon as we picked up our marriage certificate, we went back to the Social Security office where Chinook filed for a name change. All of that worked well for us. I think you'll be fine getting married two months in.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Fam.-based AOS Forum~

~Inquiry about AOS-related processes, past K1~

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

There is no timeline as long as you are married within 90 days. Our wedding was relatively late--Joan arrived on June 13th and we were married on August 24th. We filed for AOS a week later and Joan had her EAD by the end of November--which was still a long time to sit at home. So, as others have said, the only time factor to consider is if your fiancee wants to work as soon as possible.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

If everything goes well at the interview, we plan on leaving for the US in mid-April. We talked about setting the wedding date for mid June, exactly 3 years to the date we met. However, this would be almost 2 months into the 90-day time limit.

My question; should we get married sooner? I read somewhere that you should get married as soon as possible. I plan on applying for a Social Security Card about 2 weeks after her arrival and file the EAD along with the AOS as soon as possible after we get married.

Can anyone help me understand the importance of the timeline between arrival and marriage.

Thank you

Quite simple... need to be married WITHIN 90 days of entry at POE.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You do not need to wait 2 weeks in order to apply for an SSN. Now that the I-94 is electronic, you can print out your I-94 and apply for the SSN right away.

The requirement is to marry at anytime within 90 days of entry.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

whatever the duration is prior to the 90 day expiration of the i-94,

I suggest getting married on a Tuesday.

Why? Tuesdays Rock ! and all staff have recovered from the weekend..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.