sundizz

This process is confusing....did I send the right information?

19 posts in this topic

We originally were going to file in South Korea. However, after reading the rules we realized that it would have to go through the US (I was on a tourist visa toward the end of my sta, used to be on a work visa there).

10/6/2015: Married in South Korea

11/30/2015: Mailed the I-130 application out.

12/08/2015: Your case has been accepted and routed to the USCIS Nebraska Service Center for processing. Within 7-10 days by standard mail you will receive your official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) with your Receipt Number ..... With the official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) you may visit www.uscis.gov where you can check the status of your case using My Case Status. We suggest you wait until you have received your Form I-797 before checking My Case Status.

Since we were originally planning on filing in South Korea I didn't re-read all the specific U.S rules. We didn't realize how long it would take etc (seems like 1 year+ versus a few months in South Korea). So, we'll smile on and continue and do what we need to do. She'll stay in South Korea and continue working, and I'm working (naturalized U.S citizen) here in California.

Should I have received anything else/email etc from UCSIS yet? When I called the lady said to wait until six months. However, looking at other people it seems like there is some NOA stuff (which wasn't the case if we were going to file in South Korea).

Also, was hoping someone could shed some light on whether we filed all the necessary documents (and what to do if not). There are so many random forms (e.g., I assume we don't need the I-485) This is what we included (per our cover letter).

11/27/2015

USCIS
Attn: I-130
1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S
Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Subject: I-130 Petition for my spouse .....

Dear Sir/Madam:

I, ....., a citizen of the United States, would like to file a petition I-130 for my spouse, ......

Please find enclosed the following required and supporting documents:

1. Completed and signed form G-1145

2. Completed and signed form I-130

3. Check for I-130 filing fee

4. Completed and signed form G-325A and photograph (petitioner) with attachment for addresses

5. Completed and signed form G-325A and photograph (beneficiary)

6. Copy of petitioner’s passport’s biographic page and license

7. Copy of beneficiary’s passport’s biographic page

8. Copy of beneficiary’s Korean identification card

9. Notarized and translated copy of marriage certificate (Verification of Registration of Marriage)
    Notarized and translated copy of marriage certificate (Marriage Relation Certificate)

10. Proof of a bona fide relationship

1. Evidence A (A short summary of our story with pictures)

2. Evidence B (travel receipts)

Copies of the documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that I or my wife may be required to submit original documents to an immigration or consular officer at a later date.

I kindly request you to process the above petition and to provide the receipt notice as soon as possible.

If you have any questions or concerns on the above matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,

You didn't need to send the beneficiary's passport or ID card - that's for the next stage.

How many photos did you include? Did you live together in South Korea? If so, I would have included copies of utility bills in both names, a shared lease or something. Photos, your own story (doesn't hold much weight - how do they know what you are saying is the truth?) and some travel tickets is a bit thin on evidence.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

We literally didn't have anything else to send. We did live together (but both not on the same lease or anything), don't share any property etc. We were going out/dated for 4 years before we got married (and our airline tickets show both of us on it). Everything else is okay though? Just sit and wait now?

Edited by sundizz

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should have received your receipt notice from Nebraska by now. You should call USCIS to find out what the receipt number is, as it will allow you to track the petition online (well, it'll tell you when anything major happens).

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Is that different than the LIN number that is on the email? I use that LIN number on the USCIS website to check the status (which says, "On December 4, 2015, we received your Form I-130, Immigrant Petition for Relative, Fiance(E), or Orphan....).

Thanks everyone. So when does the i-864 get sent in (along with everything else)? That's in the NVC part of the process? Also, since I am a naturalized citizen is it likely I'll get a RFE for a copy of the naturalization certificate since I only sent in a copy of my passport?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thanks everyone. So when does the i-864 get sent in (along with everything else)? That's in the NVC part of the process? Also, since I am a naturalized citizen is it likely I'll get a RFE for a copy of the naturalization certificate since I only sent in a copy of my passport?

I-864 is sent during the NVC phase. You will not get an RFE for your Naturalization Certificate so long as you sent a copy of every page of your passport.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 1 month later...

Approved! Didn't get a RFE for the naturalization stuff.

On April 6, 2016, we approved your Form I-130, Immigrant Petition for Relative, Fiance(E), or Orphan, Receipt Number LIN(). We will mail your approval notice. Please follow the instructions in the notice.

Sweet! What I'll get within the next few days in the mail is the NOA2? Then, it automatically gets to the NVC and we wait around a bit (1-2 months) to get a case number from them?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Approved! Didn't get a RFE for the naturalization stuff.

On April 6, 2016, we approved your Form I-130, Immigrant Petition for Relative, Fiance(E), or Orphan, Receipt Number LIN(). We will mail your approval notice. Please follow the instructions in the notice.

Sweet! What I'll get within the next few days in the mail is the NOA2? Then, it automatically gets to the NVC and we wait around a bit (1-2 months) to get a case number from them?

Congratulations. You should be getting the hard copy NOA2 soon. Once your file gets to NVC you can probably get your case number in a week or 2 even though they will tell you to wait over 40 days. It took a week for my case to get to nvc and another week to get my case number. All the best.

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

Thanks for the info. So, to get this case number I should call them in a few days? And then what does one do with said case number?

From what I can tell by reading online the NVC gets the information packet, looks it over and mails it to the Embassy? Is there something else that needs to be submitted. Sorry if I'm asking questions I should be able to figure out easily.

NOA1

NOA2

NVC

Goes to embassy (in South Korea, where spouse is from/living)

Packet 3?

Also, I don't especially want to get anymore mail at the current address I have on file (it's my parents house). Possible to receive mail at my work address? Has anyone used virtual mail (e.g., where their mail goes to a mail company that scans/etc)?

No packet 3 for Ir1/cr1.

There is a bunch of things to do at the NVC. Look up thr NVC process wiki.

Or the EZ spouse guide.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

No only USCIS stuff is mailed. Everything via NVC is able to be emailed.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

As soon as you know NVC has received your case you need to call them and select an agent (you). And that will enable you to pay the AOS and then the IV fees, and send your documents. I have seen too many people waste a month of two by not calling. #1 tip for NVC save the number and call a lot

dg71gl.jpg8xovp4.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.