ajmess jaon

Did you guys hire someone to help with the AOS?

40 posts in this topic

Many people don't get into the DIY side of the site, as they visit VJ from a handphone and cannot see the Guides Section from the Top Menu.

If you are one of those (ie, a handphone user), then please come visit VJ from a PC using a real web browser.

ROFL!!! "Handphone user"? Darnell, you really kill me! LOL!

I only consulted with two lawyers when my guy and I were talking about getting engaged. They both gave me great advice and told me things to be aware of that I wouldn't have thought of, like the IMBRA thing for K-1. However, I didn't hire any lawyer and heavily relied on VJ. Our whole visa process lasted seven months and given that my guy is Afghan, to me, that's pretty darn good!

Given my professional background, I am comfortable reading law and technical handbooks, so this stuff doesn't intimidate me. Someone who is not comfortable with those things can and have been completely successful without using the actual law or handbooks.

If you are at the AOS stage, remember, that the vast majority of cases of people marrying a US citizen or LPR will be eligible to stay and won't face deportation charges. If that's an issue, then lawyer is a great option. If we would have adjusted from a visitor visa, we probably would have hired a lawyer. If there are no criminal charges or other problems with the law on either of you two, then the need for a lawyer decreases.

Finally, you hiring a lawyer WILL NOT affect how the case is processed. It will not be faster because you have a lawyer. You will not be guaranteed that you won't have an RFE because you have a lawyer. The AOS stage is a strange one to me. It's like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get. You can have your GC in hand within two months or you might be waiting in "My interview is ready to be scheduled" status for 10+ months. No one can predict and a lawyer cannot change this fact.

It's a personal decision, but you can do this! The forms may seem daunting and sometimes confusing, but your answer can be found on VJ. You can always hire a lawyer later, but you know your situation better than anyone. Just be clear with your lawyer if you hire one. If you don't, the search bar on VJ will come in mighty handy!

Signature coming soon...

Filed: Other Country: Albania
Timeline

ROFL!!! "Handphone user"? Darnell, you really kill me! LOL!

I only consulted with two lawyers when my guy and I were talking about getting engaged. They both gave me great advice and told me things to be aware of that I wouldn't have thought of, like the IMBRA thing for K-1. However, I didn't hire any lawyer and heavily relied on VJ. Our whole visa process lasted seven months and given that my guy is Afghan, to me, that's pretty darn good!

Given my professional background, I am comfortable reading law and technical handbooks, so this stuff doesn't intimidate me. Someone who is not comfortable with those things can and have been completely successful without using the actual law or handbooks.

If you are at the AOS stage, remember, that the vast majority of cases of people marrying a US citizen or LPR will be eligible to stay and won't face deportation charges. If that's an issue, then lawyer is a great option. If we would have adjusted from a visitor visa, we probably would have hired a lawyer. If there are no criminal charges or other problems with the law on either of you two, then the need for a lawyer decreases.

Finally, you hiring a lawyer WILL NOT affect how the case is processed. It will not be faster because you have a lawyer. You will not be guaranteed that you won't have an RFE because you have a lawyer. The AOS stage is a strange one to me. It's like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get. You can have your GC in hand within two months or you might be waiting in "My interview is ready to be scheduled" status for 10+ months. No one can predict and a lawyer cannot change this fact.

It's a personal decision, but you can do this! The forms may seem daunting and sometimes confusing, but your answer can be found on VJ. You can always hire a lawyer later, but you know your situation better than anyone. Just be clear with your lawyer if you hire one. If you don't, the search bar on VJ will come in mighty handy!

The way you handled it makes a great deal of sense. I think everyone should take advantage of a free consultation with a lawyer. While it is true that you don't need a lawyer in a case that isn't complicated, it is difficult without a legal background to know whether there are complicating factors. So do it yourself, but at least let a professional take a look before you do so.

Now that the process is all 'here' it seems drastically easier. We chose to use a 3rd in tandem to VJ and such for the K1 portion but AoS and such seems much more straight forward and recently just filed our AoS stuff. After reviewing the instructions and forms and guides and threads, felt pretty comfortable pursuing on our own. Just questions about forms and things like that. Most of the information gathering and evidence aggregating has to be done by yourself anyways, getting a few ?s answered by a lawyer seems prohibitively expensive in this case, if you have a straight forward vanilla case. If you need help or want peace of mind, get help if not, don't.

Just remember to put in the work too vs some users that just post blast every micro question and ask more before even processing any responses.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I found most if not all accurate information on the site right down to the one off situations that occurred with my petition with a refusal then a stokes interview. If I had depended on a Lawyer and not the advice from the veterans here, I would still be trying to get my then fiancé to the US! I think this site is very useful and cheap in comparison to a lawyer. If you have the ways and means to afford a lawyer on top of the USCIS, Embassy and god knows what else youll need fees, then by all means go ahead but lawyers are human and as with anything else make human mistakes. At the very most a mistake on your own would cost you a few weeks to respond to an RFE. You cant possibly mess up to the point of denial without a chance to supply what is missing or needed. If that is the case then you would be denied Lawyer or not. As far as the opinions on the site. We are all entitled but if you don't find the site useful then Why badger it? just leave and use your attorneys. Everyone has different experiences there are no wrong answers. we are just here sharing experiences and the guides are spot ON! and you don't have to have a law degree to fill out forms. Just saying. No matter what your choice is and it IS your choice remember this is a support site (and speaking for myself is all I can do), was a GOD SEND to find VJ and other scared, nervous, anxious, crazy, impatient K1 petitioners who could relate and HELP me make it to the point I am now. No Lawyer could relate and even some might take advantage of a desperate situation. Whatever you decide. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

We didn't use an attorney, and we had no issues or RFEs. If there are no overstaying or criminal issues, I don't think it's necessary to use an attorney. It is still important to be extremely neurotic about the application though. Both of you should look over all the forms multiple times before sending them off. Focus on a detailed, itemized cover letter to include; it's not only an outline of your packet for USCIS, but it's also a useful tool for yourselves to make sure you have included everything you need.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

There is no need in lawyer in K1, AOS, ROC or Naturalization if you don't have very complicate case with a lot of troubles (like criminal problems etc.). All steps are straight forward, described here with examples and the only reason to hire someone - it's if you don't feel like doing papers yourself and would rather pay someone to do it for you. We did everything ourselves and didn't feel like we needed any halp from outside beside some questions and answers on public forums including VJ.

- Victor from Russia

Our timlines K1 visa - Citizenship (06.28.2011 - 08.01.2016)

K1 Visa Timeline (06.28.2011 - 04.07.2012)

• 06-28-2011: I-129F sent to Dallas
  • 07-05-2011: NOA1 (CSC)
  • 01-05-2012: NOA2 (184 days since NOA1)
  • 01-13-2012: NVC passed
  • 01-19-2012: Embassy received our case
  • 02-14-2012: Interview PASSED! :D K-1 Visa Approved! :D
  • 03-08-2012: POE
  • 04-07-2012: Wedding!

AOS/EAD Timeline (04.26.2012 - 12.13.2012)

• 04-26-2012: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox
  • 05-02-2012: NOA1 (both I-485 and I-765)
  • 05-23-2012: Biometrics taken
  • 07-02-2012: Employment Authorization Issued (07-09-2012 - received in the mail)
  • 12-03-2012: Made Service Request for I-485, because case is beyond processing time
  • 12-07-2012: I-485 APPROVED! 219 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 12-13-2012: GreenCard in the mailbox, done with AOS!

Lifting of conditions Timeline (09.04.2014 - 01.14.2015)

• 09-04-2014: I-751 sent to CSC
  • 09-08-2014: NOA1
  • 11-10-2014: Biometrics taken
  • 01-07-2015: Approved! Only 122 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 01-14-2015: GreenCard in the mailbox

Citizenship Timeline (09.03.2015 - 01.08.2016)

- 09-03-2015: N-400 sent to Phoenix

- 09-10-2015: NOA1

- 10-08-2015: Biometrics taken

- 10-28-2015: Case is in line for an interview

- 11-02-2015: Letter with Naturalization Interview Appointment

- 12-07-2015: Interview passed

- 01-08-2016: Naturalization Oath Ceremony, I'm a US citizen now!

tTM3p3.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Whether you use a lawyer or DIY - your case can still get screwed up.. like mine.. oops, you gave us a thousand dollars but we can't mail you a fifty cent letter. LOL. Good luck filing your AOS :)

4/21/2016 - Got green card! :) No immigration worries til 2018!

We have done everything on our own. Plus you still need to gather all the evidence which is the actual leg work of the process.

A lawyer may reduce your stress but they do not/ can not speed up the process in any way. It would be cheaper to find an alternative way to reduce your stress than a lawyer. Maybe chocolate or a run...

Read the guidelines and this site is great if you are stuck at any point.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's really not that bad to DIY if you have a pretty straight forward case. It does depend if you have had previous marriages/deportations/any children etc of course. For our specific case we didn't have any previous marriages or children and have had no problems with the borders previously.

Also since you're not able to work until you've received your authorization to it made sense to us to do it ourself. I did almost all of the paperwork as my husband works in a different state and comes home only every few weeks. I completed it with help from the guides on this website and if you have a questions about a certain part or section you can always just put a post on to see if anyone is able to help. We have our interview next month and haven't received an RFE at all. Just make sure to triple check all the paperwork before sending as I find that I focus so much on the meticulous information that sometimes there was easy mistakes that I noticed only after the second or third check though.

I have nothing to say but positive things about how helpful this site has been throughout our whole immigration process so far!

We saved quite a bit of money by not having to hire a lawyer or immigration service which was worth it for our situation. However, everybody is different and it really is a personal decision. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you can read, and are very organized with half a brain you can do it yourself with straight forward circumstances.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.