neualex

Minimum age to file a I-130 form to adjust status I-485?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi folks,

I'm reading the latest I-130 form and I don't find any minimum age to file this form petitioning for a spouse?

Is there a minimum age to petition for a spouse? Or, as long as they have a valid marriage license USCIS should not reject the application?

They both live in Maryland, one has a tourist visa, the other one is a LPR.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

...Alex

The petitioner must be at least 18 years old. If they're an LPR then the beneficiary would not be able to file an I-485 until the I-130 priority date was current under "dates for filing" under the new visa bulletin system. This would take approximately 7 months at the current rate.

The alien must also remain in status until their I-485 was accepted for processing by USCIS.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

You say they both live in Maryland, you mean one is visiting in Maryland? He or she can't live here holding a tourist visa... and since one is an lpr the one on tourist visa can't just adjust..

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: Timeline

According to this, there is no minimum age to petition a spouse; however, a sponsor must be 18 to sign the Affidavit of Support, and an Affidavit of Support from the petitioner is a necessary step in the process, so effectively it means the petitioner must be 18 for the spouse to be able to immigrate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi folks,

I'm reading the latest I-130 form and I don't find any minimum age to file this form petitioning for a spouse?

Is there a minimum age to petition for a spouse? Or, as long as they have a valid marriage license USCIS should not reject the application?

They both live in Maryland, one has a tourist visa, the other one is a LPR.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

...Alex

eh - are they seeking a spousal immigrant visa or seeking to adjust status ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Thanks all for your prompt response.

Let me clarify, they are looking to adjust status.

She is a soon-to-be 17-year-old LPR, he is a soon-to-be 18-year-old with tourist visa.

I confirmed, they can get married in Maryland, but I understand from your responses she has to be at least 18 years old to petition for him, is that accurate?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes, and he cannot adjust status, only spouses of citizens can.

What they can do is get married and start the spousal visa process; by the time of the interview, she will likely be 18 and so can file the I-864.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

@Queen Penguin, thank you!

I'll advise her to get started on the citizenship process, but she only has one year as LPR, she needs wait 4 more years to apply for citizenship :(

Could you please confirm only spouses of US citizens can adjust status?

What if he gets married in the US, goes back to his country before the authorized stay as tourist expires, can we adjust then?

In a nutshell, he arrives 02/01/16, they get married on 02/02/16, we apply once we get the marriage license, is that acceptable?

Please advise.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ah, young love.

this is planned, intent to adjust status, prior to arrival in USA?

INTENT matters, at the Port of Entry.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

@Queen Penguin, thank you!

I'll advise her to get started on the citizenship process, but she only has one year as LPR, she needs wait 4 more years to apply for citizenship :(

Could you please confirm only spouses of US citizens can adjust status?

What if he gets married in the US, goes back to his country before the authorized stay as tourist expires, can we adjust then?

In a nutshell, he arrives 02/01/16, they get married on 02/02/16, we apply once we get the marriage license, is that acceptable?

Please advise.

You can apply for an f2a which will take about 1.5-2 years

Timeline

ah, young love.

this is planned, intent to adjust status, prior to arrival in USA?

INTENT matters, at the Port of Entry.

Yes, it is planned.

They even thought about getting married here in the US, he goes back to his country and she petitions for him as LPR with I-130 form.

Thoughts?

Which venue is quicker and safer?

At the end, all they want is to be together.

Timeline

You can apply for an f2a which will take about 1.5-2 years

So, spouses of LPR with an unexpired visa get a F2A category, correct?

That works! :)

Timeline

They cannot do it in country though. No way around the wait

She cannot petition for him as LPR while he is in the US, so get married in the US, he goes back to his country of origin, she petitions for him as LPR with I-130 and he gets a F2A category, is that what you are saying?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

She cannot petition for him as LPR while he is in the US, so get married in the US, he goes back to his country of origin, she petitions for him as LPR with I-130 and he gets a F2A category, is that what you are saying?

Yes. The process will be about 2 years.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.