missads

Success getting healthcare coverage for immigrant parents over 65

325 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, databit said:

I posted this before and my post is being quoted, so let me add to it:

Previous post:

ACA or Obamacare is the health coverage designed primarily for working adults. Coverage varies by state. Income is counted. Don't let somebody else claim you as a dependent! It is tied in with Medicaid for subsidy help. If you live in a state that did NOT expand Medicaid, and you file taxes with zero income** there will likely be no subsidy to help you pay the cost.

Added:

The minimum income for the person seeking ACA or Obamacare must be $11,880 for 2017. It was designed for working Americans or those who have an income above the poverty level. Having zero income will qualify you for Medicaid, the program for the poor. BUT---some states did not expand Medicaid. If your state didn't, get ready to pay: https://www.healthcare.gov/medicaid-chip/medicaid-expansion-and-you/

That answers that!  Flordia isn't one of the States that expanded Medicaid!

CR1 - Maristela (Wife)

California Service Center (CSC)

Day 0 - May 22, 2007 - Married

Day 0 - July 28, 2007 - Sent I-130 to CSC

Day 21- August 18, 2007 - NOA1 (took 21 Days)

Day 168- January 12, 2008 - NOA2 (took 147 Days)

National Visa Center (NVC)

Day 206- February 19, 2008 - Received I-864 Fee Bill / DS 3032 (took 38 Days)

Day 206- February 20, 2008 - Sent I-864 Fee Express Mail (took 1 Day)

Day 220- March 4, 2008 - Received I-864 Packet (took 14 Days)

Day 221- March 5, 2008 - Sent I-864 Packet Express Mail (took 1 Day)

Day 237- March 21, 2008 - Received I.V. Fee Bill (took 17 Days)

Day 237- March 21, 2008 - Sent I.V. Fee Bill Express Mail (took 0 Days)

Day 267- April 21, 2008 - Received DS-230 Instructions (took 30 Days)

(May - July was spent trying to gather and REPLACE original police clearance letters from Germany, Italy, & Brazil. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificate, and all the translations after the US POST Office and/or US Customs Border Protection at JFK Airport LOST the package! ARRGH!)

August 27, 2008 - Case Completed at NVC

DAY 439! - October 8, 2008 - Interview in Rio - Visa Approved!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Damara said:

http://familiesusa.org/product/50-state-look-medicaid-expansion

This should help those looking to see if they qualify.

Thanks.  Yep, Florida didn't expand.  :-( 

CR1 - Maristela (Wife)

California Service Center (CSC)

Day 0 - May 22, 2007 - Married

Day 0 - July 28, 2007 - Sent I-130 to CSC

Day 21- August 18, 2007 - NOA1 (took 21 Days)

Day 168- January 12, 2008 - NOA2 (took 147 Days)

National Visa Center (NVC)

Day 206- February 19, 2008 - Received I-864 Fee Bill / DS 3032 (took 38 Days)

Day 206- February 20, 2008 - Sent I-864 Fee Express Mail (took 1 Day)

Day 220- March 4, 2008 - Received I-864 Packet (took 14 Days)

Day 221- March 5, 2008 - Sent I-864 Packet Express Mail (took 1 Day)

Day 237- March 21, 2008 - Received I.V. Fee Bill (took 17 Days)

Day 237- March 21, 2008 - Sent I.V. Fee Bill Express Mail (took 0 Days)

Day 267- April 21, 2008 - Received DS-230 Instructions (took 30 Days)

(May - July was spent trying to gather and REPLACE original police clearance letters from Germany, Italy, & Brazil. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificate, and all the translations after the US POST Office and/or US Customs Border Protection at JFK Airport LOST the package! ARRGH!)

August 27, 2008 - Case Completed at NVC

DAY 439! - October 8, 2008 - Interview in Rio - Visa Approved!

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

It's that time of year again. Open enrollment for Obamacare is from Nov. 1 until Dec. 15.

You might have noticed there's not much PR about open enrollment this year, thanks to our president. Please sign up if you are in one of the blue states below.current-status-of-the-medicaid-expansion

Fill out an application online (healthcare.gov, or in some states the local health exchange) or get help from a healthcare navigator for free. Plenty of info in this thread on how to do it...

If you do apply, could you please share your experience here? Success or failure, which state etc. Thank you!

Filed: Timeline

Don't bet on getting those subsidies! You may have to pay the full premium, no matter how low-income you are, even in a Blue State!

News today: 

OCTOBER 25, 2017 / 1:39 PM / UPDATED 42 MINUTES AGO
Judge rejects bid by 18 states to revive Obamacare subsidies

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-healthcare-ruling/judge-rejects-bid-by-18-states-to-revive-obamacare-subsidies-idUSKBN1CU2ZZ

Edited by databit

• 2 weeks later...

What if your parents are here on a B-2 visa awaiting to adjust status (completed citizenship inteview oct 10th)? Are they still eligible to buy on the market place, or do you have to wait until the status adjustment is filed? What if it is after the open enrollment period?

If not possible, what kind of travelers/visa waiters insurance do you know of that is valid for emergency expenses?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Travel Insurance, something they would have bought in Belgium.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, BelgiumtoTexas said:

What if your parents are here on a B-2 visa awaiting to adjust status (completed citizenship inteview oct 10th)? Are they still eligible to buy on the market place, or do you have to wait until the status adjustment is filed? What if it is after the open enrollment period?

If not possible, what kind of travelers/visa waiters insurance do you know of that is valid for emergency expenses?

If your parents are currently on B2 then they are "visitors" and nothing more. They can not use the marketplace until they actually have a AOS filed for them. States that dont use the marketplace may have different rules for immigration classes but I doubt it will cover "visitors". So the day you get the NOA you are eligible to use the marketplace. If its not during open enrollment it doesnt matter. They let you enroll. You probably have to call for that situation or go in person.

• 2 weeks later...

I need little guide in what to do.  I sponsored my parents 6 years ago and they have been living with for past 6 years and I claim them in my tax return.  My mom has medical condition that she was approved insurance for temp for last 3 years and we got letter from State saying we need to apply for Medicare for mom and dad with Social Security.  I applied for medicare and first they sent letter saying they were covered and then got letter for state saying i need to provide them with my sponsor documents showing I sponsored them and my tax returns to show my income.  I can not find those sponsor documents and we tried embassy and they won't provide anything.  Since I could not provide documents we got bill from medicare saying we owe them $1600 per month for each parent.  Currently I have 6 dependents on my tax return and I filed tax return higher then usual.  I don't mind paying something out of my pocket for my parents insurance but paying $3200 per month I can not afford.  I will on the streets in no time to afford insurance that expensive.  Both of parents have conditions that require expensive medicine.  I have been looking for insurance without going to federal  but there is nothing out there they will cover 66 year old's.  What should I do. 

1 hour ago, ruby4779 said:

I need little guide in what to do.  I sponsored my parents 6 years ago and they have been living with for past 6 years and I claim them in my tax return.  My mom has medical condition that she was approved insurance for temp for last 3 years and we got letter from State saying we need to apply for Medicare for mom and dad with Social Security.  I applied for medicare and first they sent letter saying they were covered and then got letter for state saying i need to provide them with my sponsor documents showing I sponsored them and my tax returns to show my income.  I can not find those sponsor documents and we tried embassy and they won't provide anything.  Since I could not provide documents we got bill from medicare saying we owe them $1600 per month for each parent.  Currently I have 6 dependents on my tax return and I filed tax return higher then usual.  I don't mind paying something out of my pocket for my parents insurance but paying $3200 per month I can not afford.  I will on the streets in no time to afford insurance that expensive.  Both of parents have conditions that require expensive medicine.  I have been looking for insurance without going to federal  but there is nothing out there they will cover 66 year old's.  What should I do. 

I need more information about why they want to charge $1,600/month (below is what it would typically cost per month for folks who never paid into the system). What's the temp insurance your mom received when she first got here? I can only speculate that they probably found out that your mom received benefits she was not entitled to, and are trying to recoup the cost.

Here's a general guideline with Medicare (I'm not factoring in any penalty for late enrollment) for elderly who has never paid into the system. They qualify to purchase Medicare after being 5 year resident. They will have to pay the full cost (2017) for part A $413/month and part B $134, so $547. You also need to have some form of prescription drug plan, so some seniors op for a supplemental plan as well beyond Medicare.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-a-costs/part-a-costs.html

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs/part-b-costs.html

^^^ Umka36 is correct, Medicare would be $547 per person (although this may be higher in 2018) and that a supplement (to pay the 20% Medicare does not pay) which averages $175-$200 additional per person = $722 to $747 per person. So maybe the $1600 was for both parents total?

Timeline

Is there not Part D as well? And of course Medicare  has exclusions that need to be paid for.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Begs the question who insures over 65's. May be difficult as obviously most are on Medicare, best to contact a Broker.

Also you mention that they have expensive pre existing conditions. 

11 hours ago, Boiler said:

Is there not Part D as well? And of course Medicare  has exclusions that need to be paid for.

A good Medicare supplement like say, AARP covers Part D and the other "parts" that Medicare doesn't. Another option to cover that 20% is to join a Medicare Advantage Plan (an HMO).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.