missads

Success getting healthcare coverage for immigrant parents over 65

325 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, missads said:

Thanks for sharing, it's great to have someone who's been part of the Medi-cal system providing some inside perspective.

I agree OP's mom should establish herself as a separate tax household and file a separate tax return. I have said that is so important over and over in this thread :) The question is starting when.

OP's mom was NOT an LPR in 2017. She was approved a few weeks ago, hasn't even received her GC yet. I don't know what her prior status was and whether she was required to file a tax return back then, or was previously claimed by someone else on their tax return as a dependent. *IF* (and only if) the answer is NO to all of the above, I would suggest file starting the year she became an LPR, and every year there onward. A sworn affidavit regarding income might suffice for 2018, because she can't file this year's tax return until next April anyway.  If Medi-cal says they will consider mom part of the sponsor's tax household (OP needs to discuss with Covered CA), then backfile 2017 taxes. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks for adding to the wealth of info on this thread, it's very useful!

Thanks! Not entirely sure which OP you're referring to--this thread has gotten so long---I was talking about OP named Chk312. An affidavit would do nothing, as mom gets income from India, some paperwork from that source would be the proof of income. Medi-Cal can still ask mom how she is making it on only $6k, though.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
17 minutes ago, databit said:

Thanks! Not entirely sure which OP you're referring to--this thread has gotten so long---I was talking about OP named Chk312. An affidavit would do nothing, as mom gets income from India, some paperwork from that source would be the proof of income. Medi-Cal can still ask mom how she is making it on only $6k, though.

Sorry, I meant Chk312 (I'm the OP!)

I feel a sworn affidavit would be adequate, if Chk312 has getting documentation of foreign income is just not possible. The declaration in the affidavit would be under penalty of perjury, so there are serious consequences if anything is untrue. It is a commonly used workaround for such matters when it's simply not possible to obtain documentation. Best to discuss with Covered CA and find out what they require.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, Smitha said:

Thank you missads for all your help. I just talked to one of market place agents and they mentioned that to qualify for Obama care, we need to show $16,240 as I am looking for my parents insurance. So, I am looking for options to raise their income. They get monthly pension from India around $800 a month. So, I need to come up with options for around $700 a month . If I pay to my parents for any service, how that does work? Also, my mom is a yoga teacher, probably she can teach some classes. If she teach class, do we need to register as a small business before filing taxes? If anyone has info, please shared with me. Bruin85, can you please let me know your email address pls.

thank you all especially missads for sharing your experience.

Two things:
1. Talk to a local marketplace NAVIGATOR in Dallas. Search on google, you should be able to find someone. The customer service agents on the phone are inexperienced pencil pushers unfamiliar with the nuances of an uncommon case that involves senior immigrants.

2. Message Bruin85 directly rather than posting on this thread. He seems to have gotten coverage for his father in law with ZERO income. He has gone through the exact same process and come out successful. IN DALLAS. Not sure why you'd need to show income of $16,240, but please don't end up doing something that would get you and your parents into trouble with the IRS.

Edited by missads

5 hours ago, missads said:

Sorry, I meant Chk312 (I'm the OP!)

I feel a sworn affidavit would be adequate, if Chk312 has getting documentation of foreign income is just not possible. The declaration in the affidavit would be under penalty of perjury, so there are serious consequences if anything is untrue. It is a commonly used workaround for such matters when it's simply not possible to obtain documentation. Best to discuss with Covered CA and find out what they require.

Wow! You really are the OP from 2.5 years ago! haha. I've responded to this thread many times! 

Depending on how the money from India is getting to the US, there should be a paper trail of some kind, presuming things are being done legally. An affidavit is a good idea, too, though!

Seems the new administration is getting even more stringent than previously indicated on public charge issues, and that whereas before the proposals could impact people getting green cards, it seems they are now looking at broadening public charge so that green card holders may be prevented from becoming citizens. The way someone explained this to me, using the premium tax credit would fall under public charge. So those of you using stuff like this to reduce healthcare costs ought to be careful about the implications being more significant than they were before. Then again people can just remain green card holders into perpetuity i guess if it makes financial sense.

I’m not posting a link because certain people on VJ go off the rails if the news organization concerned is anywhere left of Fox and end up distracting from the actual content, but you all have google. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Seems the new administration is getting even more stringent than previously indicated on public charge issues, and that whereas before the proposals could impact people getting green cards, it seems they are now looking at broadening public charge so that green card holders may be prevented from becoming citizens. The way someone explained this to me, using the premium tax credit would fall under public charge. So those of you using stuff like this to reduce healthcare costs ought to be careful about the implications being more significant than they were before. Then again people can just remain green card holders into perpetuity i guess if it makes financial sense.

I’m not posting a link because certain people on VJ go off the rails if the news organization concerned is anywhere left of Fox and end up distracting from the actual content, but you all have google. 

As long as it is a legitimate source and not some joke site I doubt anybody would have an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

39 minutes ago, Boiler said:

As long as it is a legitimate source and not some joke site I doubt anybody would have an issue.

Not from my past experience. I posted not long ago an article about N400 processing times getting longer, fairly innocent you’d think (and something important to me as I have a child turning 18 not long after I can theoretically naturalize), but I stopped reading after halfway through the second page because all hell was getting rained on me from those who can’t get beyond news station = left = must be trump bashing = but Obama etc etc and totally ignored the point of the article.  Looks like it went on for a few more pages after that.  So I didn’t want to replicate that. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/now-trump-administration-wants-limit-citizenship-legal-immigrants-n897931

I found this one, badly researched and does not state what the plans are.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/now-trump-administration-wants-limit-citizenship-legal-immigrants-n897931

I found this one, badly researched and does not state what the plans are.

There are a few articles as well as at least one draft of the legislation out there (which I think i posted before in this thread actually). The articles are not all brand new. 

I personally actually dont have an issue with this broadening of the legislation, there are certainly immigrants who game the system and give the rest of us a bad name. But now I’m also getting into opinion not facts...

Edited by SusieQQQ

On 8/4/2018 at 1:18 PM, missads said:

Two things:
1. Talk to a local marketplace NAVIGATOR in Dallas. Search on google, you should be able to find someone. The customer service agents on the phone are inexperienced pencil pushers unfamiliar with the nuances of an uncommon case that involves senior immigrants.

2. Message Bruin85 directly rather than posting on this thread. He seems to have gotten coverage for his father in law with ZERO income. He has gone through the exact same process and come out successful. IN DALLAS. Not sure why you'd need to show income of $16,240, but please don't end up doing something that would get you and your parents into trouble with the IRS.

It will depend on if the state has expanded Medicaid or not.. If it has, then it is possible to get Premium Tax credits and deductible relief with less than the poverty line income... If the state hasn't done expanded Medicaid, then the applicant has to have at or above poverty line household income to be eligible for PTC. 

Can you please check this article:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-administration-targeting-legal-immigrants-welfare-public-charge-2018-8?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=topbar&utm_term=desktop

thiught today I sit on computer for sometime and enroll for Obama care. And then I see this article. If trump administration is going to pass a new rule for immigrants who used Obama care and restrict them for citizenship, then it is going to be a problem.

please read thru and let me know your insights.

this is a latest article.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline
On 8/8/2018 at 1:04 PM, Smitha said:

Can you please check this article:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-administration-targeting-legal-immigrants-welfare-public-charge-2018-8?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=topbar&utm_term=desktop

thiught today I sit on computer for sometime and enroll for Obama care. And then I see this article. If trump administration is going to pass a new rule for immigrants who used Obama care and restrict them for citizenship, then it is going to be a problem.

please read thru and let me know your insights.

this is a latest article.

I don’t know the answer to your question, but are interested in finding out more. My parents (70) have just had their green card approved and are about to move out here. The plan was to use The marketplace for their healthcare. 

Does anybody know if using the marketplace would count against them, or just receiving tax credits?

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, CY267007 said:

I found the definition of applicable taxpayer in IRS publication 5186.  This may help answer lots of questions here.  Read the passage between red lines.  

Thanks for the citation for qualification for the ACA subsidy for immigrants. However, I want to clarify a few things.

1) It would be unusual to have a household's income fall below 100% of the FPL, considering the income was required to have been above 125% to sponsor the immigrant in the first place. That would mean the family had suddenly fallen into a state of severe poverty. 

2) It would also only apply in the 17 states that did NOT expand Medicaid. In the other 33 states a family at that poverty level WOULD be eligible for Medicaid, and would not be eligible for the ACA (income too low).

Edited by databit

On 9/15/2018 at 9:09 AM, databit said:

Thanks for the citation for qualification for the ACA subsidy for immigrants. However, I want to clarify a few things.

1) It would be unusual to have a household's income fall below 100% of the FPL, considering the income was required to have been above 125% to sponsor the immigrant in the first place. That would mean the family had suddenly fallen into a state of severe poverty. 

2) It would also only apply in the 17 states that did NOT expand Medicaid. In the other 33 states a family at that poverty level WOULD be eligible for Medicaid, and would not be eligible for the ACA (income too low).

I have some thoughts as well as questions regarding your response.

1) First, there will be two tax filing hoseholds, the sponsor and the immigrants.  What if the immigrants work part time or do some small business and have an income which is below 100% FPL but enough to disqualify the sponsor to be able to claim them as dependents? The sponsor cannot claim the  immigrants as dependents if the immigrants make a certain amount of money to support themselves at least 50% on their own(the support requirement for claiming dependents) even if they lives in the same house as the sponsor.

2) which 17 states do not expand Medicaid?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.