missads

Success getting healthcare coverage for immigrant parents over 65

325 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2017 at 9:29 AM, missads said:

I have been away for a while, but thought I'd provide a quick update (hopefully without getting into an argument with anyone.)

My parents (zero income, LPR, not claimed as dependents on my taxes) have been legally enrolled in Obamacare for two years now. They have received PTC (subsidy) that makes the insurance very affordable. They have filed tax returns (federal and state) with the subsidy reported on Form 8962. They had to use the "married filing jointly" option while filing their tax returns independent of mine (I did not claim them as dependents even though we both entered the same physical address in our respective tax returns.) No issues whatsoever.

We relocated to another state this year and enrolled in that state's Obamacare program, again with no issues. This time we enrolled in-person through an official healthcare navigator at a state-run signup event. She too confirmed that LPR parents are eligible for Obamacare and are entitled to PTC if they have zero income and file their taxes separately.

Just putting this information out there for your reference. Believe the naysayers if you want, but Obamacare with PTC is available to LPR parents (remember - zero income and NEVER claimed as dependents on their child's taxes.)

God bless Obama! My parent suffered a major illness and I would have been bankrupt by now if not for Obamacare...

Hi Missads, thanks for the updates. I read all your posts, and you kinda gave me hope after i lost it. I'm similar situation as you, my mother who is 60 years old is living with me with zero income. I checked the ObamaCare website to see if she's qualify. I entered zipcodes, age and income (which i put zero income) and iit keep telling based on the information provided, members of this household don't appear to be eligible for a premium tax credit or other savings on health insurance. But you can use the Health Insurance Marketplace to shop for a health plan at full price. IS there something I'm missing? or should just go ahead and apply and see. Thanks 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, ahmed alin said:

Hi Missads, thanks for the updates. I read all your posts, and you kinda gave me hope after i lost it. I'm similar situation as you, my mother who is 60 years old is living with me with zero income. I checked the ObamaCare website to see if she's qualify. I entered zipcodes, age and income (which i put zero income) and iit keep telling based on the information provided, members of this household don't appear to be eligible for a premium tax credit or other savings on health insurance. But you can use the Health Insurance Marketplace to shop for a health plan at full price. IS there something I'm missing? or should just go ahead and apply and see. Thanks 

It is a tax credit and she has no tax?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, ahmed alin said:

Each state has their own rules. In Missads state they were able to get coverage. For you in your state- you can not. Have you considered moving?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi Ahmed,

Which state are you in? Some states have their own exchange, others just use healthcare.gov  If you used the latter, don't put zero income, use something just above the poverty line (varies from state to state, but you can try something like 20 - 25K until you get through.) The problem with entering zero income is that the website automatically picks Medicaid, and new immigrants are not eligible for it (have to be in the US for 5 years at least.) Also, you can call them directly 800.318.2596 for help, or contact a local healthcare navigator (usually works for an NGO and will help for free.)

Also keep in mind that open enrollment for 2017 is already over. If your mom moved to the US recently, there is a special enrollment period (60 days) to apply for health insurance. Moving to the US from abroad is considered a qualifying life event. See this link

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/qualifying-life-event/

If she arrived here recently, the clock is ticking!

Open enrollment for 2018 begins on November 1

https://www.healthcare.gov/quick-guide/dates-and-deadlines/

Your mother is eligible for Obamacare (with subsidies aka Premium Tax Credit) if she is here on a green card AND you have never claimed her as a dependent on your taxes. The PTC brings the premiums down significantly (eg from $2000 per month to $200) so don't be discouraged if you see a crazy high premium at first.

Ignore the naysayers, there's significant misinformation from some people who don't know what they are talking about. My parents have been on Obamacare for 2 years now. If I'd listened to some of the conventional wisdom on here, they'd still be uninsured and I'd be bankrupt...

PM me if you have more specific questions, I'm happy to help.

16 hours ago, ahmed alin said:

Ahmed, see my post above

Timeline
On 8/10/2017 at 4:04 PM, databit said:

There is some serious confusion here about terminology. 

Medicaid is health coverage for the poor administered by the states. It is available in all states but who they decide to cover is up to each state. Some states expanded coverage (32 out of 50) but this may change depending on what the government decides.

Medi-Cal is California's (and no other state--yes, a very stupid choice of name, even Californians can't keep it straight!) name for Medicaid, health coverage for the poor. It is administered by the state (each state has its own rules about getting it.) Legal immigrants can use this if they qualify. Income is counted. Don't let someone else claim you as a dependent on their taxes!

Medicare is a federal heath plan which depends on a person's having worked approximately 10 years in the US under their Social Security number.  Legal immigrants CAN buy in with their own money, but it's running close to $1,000 per month per person now, as Medicare only covers 80% so most people need to buy an additional plan to cover the 20%. There are no subsides for Medicare. Income is not counted. Use must be at least 65 years of age to qualify.

ACA or Obamacare is the health coverage designed primarily for working adults. Coverage varies by state. Income is counted. Don't let somebody else claim you as a dependent! It is tied in with Medicaid for subsidy help. If you live in a state that did NOT expand Medicaid, and you file taxes with zero income** there will likely be no subsidy to help you pay the cost.

Private insurance is bought on your own or gotten through a job. 

One more thing: No doctor is required to take any of these. They can refuse even private insurance.

**(yes, you can do this---and I recommend this to everyone for various reasons, even if they don't "have to file")

This is a good summary. I have added more notes to make this relevant for zero income immigrant parents.

Medicaid - for low income citizens/residents. Immigrants not eligible for the first 5 years on green card.

Medi-Cal - California's Medicaid. All low income immigrants *ARE* eligible, no 5 year waiting period. Only program in the country that waives the waiting period. If you are in CA, jump on this!

Medicare - for seniors. Immigrants not eligible for first 5 years. After 5 years, you can buy Medicare insurance, but it's too expensive. Not a practical option.

Obamacare - *THIS* is your best option for the first 5 years in America (if you live outside California.) This is proper health insurance for cheap.  healthcare.gov website has issues (might say your parents are not eligible even though they are.) Pick up the phone and call them, or use a local healthcare navigator's help (free!)  Some states (e.g. Massachusetts) have their own exchanges, healthcare.gov will redirect you to the state's insurance website. EVERY state has coverage as of now.

Tip: To browse various insurance plans, plug in an income just above the poverty level ($20 -25K). Only Silver plans are eligible for PTC (subsidy of about 90-95% on monthly premiums.)

Don't bother with bronze or gold plans.

Private insurance - not practical (too expensive, poor coverage, can't come close to Obamacare)

Remember - do NOT claim parents as dependents on your tax returns. And yes, file a zero income tax return for your parents (everything is zero - income, taxes etc., both federal and state) every year, so there's an official US record that proves they have no income. This will come in handy when applying for insurance and need to show your parents are eligible for a subsidy.

Edited by missads

2 hours ago, missads said:

Hi Ahmed,

Which state are you in? Some states have their own exchange, others just use healthcare.gov  If you used the latter, don't put zero income, use something just above the poverty line (varies from state to state, but you can try something like 20 - 25K until you get through.) The problem with entering zero income is that the website automatically picks Medicaid, and new immigrants are not eligible for it (have to be in the US for 5 years at least.) Also, you can call them directly 800.318.2596 for help, or contact a local healthcare navigator (usually works for an NGO and will help for free.)

Also keep in mind that open enrollment for 2017 is already over. If your mom moved to the US recently, there is a special enrollment period (60 days) to apply for health insurance. Moving to the US from abroad is considered a qualifying life event. See this link

Your mother is eligible for Obamacare (with subsidies aka Premium Tax Credit) if she is here on a green card AND you have never claimed her as a dependent on your taxes. The PTC brings the premiums down significantly (eg from $2000 per month to $200) so don't be discouraged if you see a crazy high premium at first.

Ignore the naysayers, there's significant misinformation from some people who don't know what they are talking about. My parents have been on Obamacare for 2 years now. If I'd listened to some of the conventional wisdom on here, they'd still be uninsured and I'd be bankrupt...

Ahmed, see my post above

Thanks Missads,

I live in Virginia, and I even I tried to put different zip code to see if different states has different income requirements. I was told you should have minimum income of  $11,670 to be qualify the saving and tax credits. I called 1800 number and the person I spoke to didn’t have any clue and they kept reading from whatever is written on the website. I wasted 30 minutes on phone with them, but I made appointment to local healthcare navigator, hopefully they will be more helpful. I will provide you with the updates.

1 hour ago, missads said:

Hi Ahmed,

Ahmed, see my post above

It's not about being a naysayer. As this is a tax issue, I've always relayed this back to talking to a professional. If anyone has been to one, I'd like to see what the tax professional have to say instead of saying it's OK to do so since it's worked for me.

The logic doesn't add up that a newly arrived elderly immigrant can receive better benefit than an elderly US citizen/PR. But this is the US, so I guess anything is possible.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, missads said:

This is a good summary. I have added more notes to make this relevant for zero income immigrant parents.

Medicaid - for low income citizens/residents. Immigrants not eligible for the first 5 years on green card.

Medi-Cal - California's Medicaid. All low income immigrants *ARE* eligible, no 5 year waiting period. Only program in the country that waives the waiting period. If you are in CA, jump on this!

Medicare - for seniors. Immigrants not eligible for first 5 years. After 5 years, you can buy Medicare insurance, but it's too expensive. Not a practical option.

Obamacare - *THIS* is your best option for the first 5 years in America (if you live outside California.) This is proper health insurance for cheap.  healthcare.gov website has issues (might say your parents are not eligible even though they are.) Pick up the phone and call them, or use a local healthcare navigator's help (free!)  Some states (e.g. Massachusetts) have their own exchanges, healthcare.gov will redirect you to the state's insurance website. EVERY state has coverage as of now.

Tip: To browse various insurance plans, plug in an income just above the poverty level ($20 -25K). Only Silver plans are eligible for PTC (subsidy of about 90-95% on monthly premiums.)

Don't bother with bronze or gold plans.

Private insurance - not practical (too expensive, poor coverage, can't come close to Obamacare)

Remember - do NOT claim parents as dependents on your tax returns. And yes, file a zero income tax return for your parents (everything is zero - income, taxes etc., both federal and state) every year, so there's an official US record that proves they have no income. This will come in handy when applying for insurance and need to show your parents are eligible for a subsidy.

My mother-in-law has been here for a year going through her change-of-status and just received her green card.  I'm assuming the 60-day life-event period starts on the day she was approved.  Also, we are in Florida and have to use the exchange for this state.  I did some preliminary searching without registering her and using her yearly pension income of $9,500 and the site told me "It doesn't appear you are eligible for any PTC).  The cheapest plan was 989 and the most expensive was 2000.  We will be doing the official search here soon and I will post here what we found out.

CR1 - Maristela (Wife)

California Service Center (CSC)

Day 0 - May 22, 2007 - Married

Day 0 - July 28, 2007 - Sent I-130 to CSC

Day 21- August 18, 2007 - NOA1 (took 21 Days)

Day 168- January 12, 2008 - NOA2 (took 147 Days)

National Visa Center (NVC)

Day 206- February 19, 2008 - Received I-864 Fee Bill / DS 3032 (took 38 Days)

Day 206- February 20, 2008 - Sent I-864 Fee Express Mail (took 1 Day)

Day 220- March 4, 2008 - Received I-864 Packet (took 14 Days)

Day 221- March 5, 2008 - Sent I-864 Packet Express Mail (took 1 Day)

Day 237- March 21, 2008 - Received I.V. Fee Bill (took 17 Days)

Day 237- March 21, 2008 - Sent I.V. Fee Bill Express Mail (took 0 Days)

Day 267- April 21, 2008 - Received DS-230 Instructions (took 30 Days)

(May - July was spent trying to gather and REPLACE original police clearance letters from Germany, Italy, & Brazil. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificate, and all the translations after the US POST Office and/or US Customs Border Protection at JFK Airport LOST the package! ARRGH!)

August 27, 2008 - Case Completed at NVC

DAY 439! - October 8, 2008 - Interview in Rio - Visa Approved!

Timeline
3 hours ago, ahmed alin said:

Thanks Missads,

I live in Virginia, and I even I tried to put different zip code to see if different states has different income requirements. I was told you should have minimum income of  $11,670 to be qualify the saving and tax credits. I called 1800 number and the person I spoke to didn’t have any clue and they kept reading from whatever is written on the website. I wasted 30 minutes on phone with them, but I made appointment to local healthcare navigator, hopefully they will be more helpful. I will provide you with the updates.

It's probably best to go through a navigator. Some of the phone reps at healthcare.gov are not knowledgeable, depends on who you get.

I tried using annual income of 20K (see Tip in my previous post) Your premium comes to $116 per month after subsidy. This should give you a rough idea of what to expect, browse all the Silver Plans etc.

1 hour ago, SkipSherv said:

My mother-in-law has been here for a year going through her change-of-status and just received her green card.  I'm assuming the 60-day life-event period starts on the day she was approved.  Also, we are in Florida and have to use the exchange for this state.  I did some preliminary searching without registering her and using her yearly pension income of $9,500 and the site told me "It doesn't appear you are eligible for any PTC).  The cheapest plan was 989 and the most expensive was 2000.  We will be doing the official search here soon and I will post here what we found out.

Yes, change in immigration status is a qualifying life event. See the link I posted previously.

Use a higher income (20 - 25K) and redo your search. If the income is too low, they automatically assumes you should be on Medicaid. That's fine for the average American, but new immigrants are not eligible for Medicaid. Using a higher income steers the website away from automatically taking you down the Medicaid path, so you can research available health plans, premiums, subsidies etc.

Remember - ONLY Silver plans are eligible for PTC, ignore the rest.

14 minutes ago, missads said:

It's probably best to go through a navigator. Some of the phone reps at healthcare.gov are not knowledgeable, depends on who you get.

I tried using annual income of 20K (see Tip in my previous post) Your premium comes to $116 per month after subsidy. This should give you a rough idea of what to expect, browse all the Silver Plans etc.

Yes, change in immigration status is a qualifying life event. See the link I posted previously.

Use a higher income (20 - 25K) and redo your search. If the income is too low, they automatically assumes you should be on Medicaid. That's fine for the average American, but new immigrants are not eligible for Medicaid. Using a higher income steers the website away from automatically taking you down the Medicaid path, so you can research available health plans, premiums, subsidies etc.

Remember - ONLY Silver plans are eligible for PTC, ignore the rest.

OMG you are telling people to enter FALSE info the marketplace. You realize that right? How does that show them anything but the wrong information? If they have zero income they have to put zero income on the forms. Your "workaround" is pointless. Subsidies are BASED ON INCOME!! If you enter the wrong income you wont get accurate info back. Plus you are treading the line of encouraging others to submit false info to the marketplace to get benefits they arent entitled to.. Please stop.

Its great that you were able to get coverage. Not all states will offer the subsidies to zero income people. You have to accept the fact that not everyone will be able to get subsidies. 

I posted this before and my post is being quoted, so let me add to it:

Previous post:

ACA or Obamacare is the health coverage designed primarily for working adults. Coverage varies by state. Income is counted. Don't let somebody else claim you as a dependent! It is tied in with Medicaid for subsidy help. If you live in a state that did NOT expand Medicaid, and you file taxes with zero income** there will likely be no subsidy to help you pay the cost.

Added:

The minimum income for the person seeking ACA or Obamacare must be $11,880 for 2017. It was designed for working Americans or those who have an income above the poverty level. Having zero income will qualify you for Medicaid, the program for the poor. BUT---some states did not expand Medicaid. If your state didn't, get ready to pay: https://www.healthcare.gov/medicaid-chip/medicaid-expansion-and-you/

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Damara said:

OMG you are telling people to enter FALSE info the marketplace. You realize that right? How does that show them anything but the wrong information? If they have zero income they have to put zero income on the forms. Your "workaround" is pointless. Subsidies are BASED ON INCOME!! If you enter the wrong income you wont get accurate info back. Plus you are treading the line of encouraging others to submit false info to the marketplace to get benefits they arent entitled to.. Please stop.

Its great that you were able to get coverage. Not all states will offer the subsidies to zero income people. You have to accept the fact that not everyone will be able to get subsidies. 

I'm giving them a workaround to use the website to get an ESTIMATE of subsidies, premiums, plans. Otherwise healthcare.gov directs applicants down the Medicaid path, which is a dead end for new immigrants (except in CA.) Btw, this workaround was suggested by an official healthcare navigator.

Just to be clear, do not use this workaround (using a higher income) for the actual application itself. That much should be obvious to any reasonable person, but let me state it explicitly. Happy?

Edited by missads

Timeline
12 minutes ago, databit said:

Previous post:

Added:

The minimum income for the person seeking ACA or Obamacare must be $11,880 for 2017. It was designed for working Americans or those who have an income above the poverty level. Having zero income will qualify you for Medicaid, the program for the poor. BUT---some states did not expand Medicaid. If your state didn't, get ready to pay: https://www.healthcare.gov/medicaid-chip/medicaid-expansion-and-you/

Sigh! Okay, have it your way.

Btw, here's an excerpt from the above link:

Even if your state hasn't expanded Medicaid and it looks like your income is below the level to qualify for financial help with a Marketplace plan, you should fill out a Marketplace application.

Please fill out the application and find out for yourselves. If you have success (or failure) please share on the forum.

23 minutes ago, databit said:

Previous post:

Added:

Let me add again: In the states that DID expand Medicaid, the MINIMUM income needed is $16,642.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.