Jsecrest01

Bringing my wife to the U.S

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

My wife and I are trying to make sense of all the steps and wait times associated with her coming to live here in the U.S. She is a Canadian citizen and we were married on January 1st of this year. She had come to the states for us to get married and has since returned home for now. We have known each other for a period of over 4 years and have been in a relationship for most of that period. I was staying in Canada with her for quite a while but had to return to the states when my status ran out. Now that we are officially married we need to know what the fastest method is for us to be together again here and finally start our lives together without all of this separation. I know I will be filing the i-130 sponsorship form in the coming week or so but I have also heard that there is another form to file that will allow her to come here to live and work while that is processing. Does such a thing exist and if so is it worth filing (as it pertains to processing time in comparison to the i-130)? Bottom line is we are both emotional wrecks still and before we were married we had spent 8 months apart and that was complete hell. Please help with any information you may have

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

There is no way for her to live and work here during the process. She can still come and visit but she can't move until she has the cr1 visa in hand. It takes about 10-12 months.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

There is no way for her to live and work here during the process. She can still come and visit but she can't move until she has the cr1 visa in hand. It takes about 10-12 months.

So you are saying that we have to wait a year even though we're married? This whole process is ridiculous, I mean she's my wife and it feels like we have to jump through so many hoops just to be together. There are no other alternatives to this 10 - 12 month timeline? That seems like such a bleak outlook for anyone going through this sort of thing, an almost helplessness it imposes on you. I thought the K - 3 Visa was something you could file to help the process, I remember seeing something about receiving an i-17something form after you send in and they receive your i-130 and you send that in with the i-129. Or is that just something that applies to no married couples? I dont know, this all gives me a headache when I try to figure it out and all I want, all we want, is to be together.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hello,

My wife and I are trying to make sense of all the steps and wait times associated with her coming to live here in the U.S. She is a Canadian citizen and we were married on January 1st of this year. She had come to the states for us to get married and has since returned home for now. We have known each other for a period of over 4 years and have been in a relationship for most of that period. I was staying in Canada with her for quite a while but had to return to the states when my status ran out. Now that we are officially married we need to know what the fastest method is for us to be together again here and finally start our lives together without all of this separation. There is no such choice. You will be separated during the process. I know I will be filing the i-130 sponsorship form in the coming week or so but I have also heard that there is another form to file that will allow her to come here to live and work while that is processing. No such thing. There is nothing that allows her to live and work while this is processing. Does such a thing exist no. and if so is it worth filing (as it pertains to processing time in comparison to the i-130)? Bottom line is we are both emotional wrecks still and before we were married we had spent 8 months apart and that was complete hell. Please help with any information you may have

Sorry. If she had not returned home, you could have filed for AOS. Since she is now in Canada, it would be immigration fraud for her to enter the US with the intent to immigrate without a CR-1 spousal immigration visa.

You will start with the I-130. It will take 6-12 months. She can not live or work here until she gets an immigration visa. Be thankful that as a Canadian, she will easily be allowed to visit you in the US, an option that is not available to many people on VJ.

Read up on the Guides. You are mixing up two different processes; applying from outside the US for an immigration visa and applying form inside the US to adjust status.

Best of luck

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

So you are saying that we have to wait a year even though we're married? Yes. This whole process is ridiculous, I mean she's my wife and it feels like we have to jump through so many hoops just to be together. There are no other alternatives to this 10 - 12 month timeline? There is no alternative. If there was, why would the rest of us be waiting? That seems like such a bleak outlook for anyone going through this sort of thing, an almost helplessness it imposes on you. I thought the K - 3 Visa was something you could file to help the process, I remember seeing something about receiving an i-17something form after you send in and they receive your i-130 and you send that in with the i-129. Or is that just something that applies to no married couples? The process depends on whether your spouse is inside the US or outside the US. Marital status is irrelevant. Since she is outside the US, there is only one process; CR-1 spousal immigration visa. You don't have another choice. This is your only choice. I dont know, this all gives me a headache when I try to figure it out and all I want, all we want, is to be together.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

K3 is obsolete, you can file it but it won't do you any good. You will get your CR1 visa. I agree that waiting sucks but you can still visit each other. My husband was on an airplane coming to see me in sweden as often as he could while we were waiting! A visit here and there is better than nothing! Plus...a year is nothing really when you have the rest of you lives together!

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Being married isn't a visa/residency. It only allows you to file for a greencard for your wife. It seems as though you are smart enough to know that with any government documents/filing it takes time!!! If you did your research before, after you were married she could have stayed here and adjusted her status from visitor-->greencard. since she left, you must file the CR1 visa which takes about a year. If you read the top of any greencard through marriage applicaiton it clearly states 'being married allows you to file for the AOS and it not means for a visa. At least she is in canada and you can visit her, and she can visit during the paperwork. that way, once she gets her visa she will be able to work right away.

also, if you were to relocate to canada i hear the process is so backlogged it takes about 2-3years, so a year isnt too bad haha

Take a read of this guide to understand the paperwork process you're going to need to follow: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

So you are saying that we have to wait a year even though we're married? This whole process is ridiculous, I mean she's my wife and it feels like we have to jump through so many hoops just to be together. There are no other alternatives to this 10 - 12 month timeline? That seems like such a bleak outlook for anyone going through this sort of thing, an almost helplessness it imposes on you. I thought the K - 3 Visa was something you could file to help the process, I remember seeing something about receiving an i-17something form after you send in and they receive your i-130 and you send that in with the i-129. Or is that just something that applies to no married couples? I dont know, this all gives me a headache when I try to figure it out and all I want, all we want, is to be together.

This "ridiculous process" is what many ppl globally have to endure (me included) to be with their spouses permanently. I got married in April of last year, my husband filed for me and my kids at the end of May and through all the waiting, we have finally reached the stage where our docs were submitted to the NVC for review before sending to my consulate.

I have only been able to visit my husband 4 times and these were only 2 or 3 weeks at most. It IS tough having to spend time away from the person you love but this is the sacrifice of waiting so that you both can enjoy a wonderful life together.

Word of advice: START FILING FOR CR-1 VISA FOR YOUR WIFE NOW!

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This whole process is ridiculous, I mean she's my wife and it feels like we have to jump through so many hoops just to be together

Haha welcome to US immigration.

There is no alternative to the CR-1, you will need to file that, ideally as soon as possible.

That however does not mean that you can't see each other for a year. You can visit her and she, CPB willing, can still come visit you.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you looked at moving to Canada instead?

Has she looked at moving to the US using a work visa, they can be much quicker.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Sorry it seems ridiculous, but really you are one of the lucky ones considering your wife is Canadian. Very little chance of getting stuck waiting in AP for extra background checks and also just a really high acceptance rate coming from such a low-fraud country with good relations to the US.

She is still allowed to visit as some mentioned, and while I am not exactly familiar with rules for visiting from Canada, I believe she can visit without any sort of visa for up to 6 months. Things may be more scrutinized with an active visa application, but still you are in a very good position compared to spouses from most other countries... And as you mentioned you were able to stay in Canada with her for quite some time.

I'm not saying you're situation is a good one to be in, just probably a lot better than most of the people who you are talking with right now. Just keep that and mind and be thankful.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

What irritates me about this most is that I called the US Immigration call center and they told me that if she were to come here on a visitor visa that she was not allowed to simply file a change of status because it would be considered immigration fraud since she was visiting and her intent would be to stay after we were married. Thats why she left because we wanted to do what they said we had to do. So now because of that we have to do this 10 - 12 month process. I asked them several times this same question (I called 3 times and spoke to 3 representatives) just to be damn sure and well apparently they gave me incorrect information. I was made to believe that I could file this i-130 form and then file a k3 visa form which would allow her to come here while the other form was processing. Their words, not mine. So yeah, thanks USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What irritates me about this most is that I called the US Immigration call center and they told me that if she were to come here on a visitor visa that she was not allowed to simply file a change of status because it would be considered immigration fraud since she was visiting and her intent would be to stay after we were married. Thats why she left because we wanted to do what they said we had to do. So now because of that we have to do this 10 - 12 month process. I asked them several times this same question (I called 3 times and spoke to 3 representatives) just to be damn sure and well apparently they gave me incorrect information. I was made to believe that I could file this i-130 form and then file a k3 visa form which would allow her to come here while the other form was processing. Their words, not mine. So yeah, thanks USCIS

She could have stayed, so long as her original intent wasn't using her visitor permissions to get into the country and then adjust status.

Forget about the K-3, they've been obsolete for years.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.