DLS713

No copies of Original I-129F!! What to do?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Before I submitted my original I-129F packet I made scans of everything. Now as I'm looking at my computer for them I can't locate them. I've looked everywhere and I guess the scans didn't save properly. What can I do now that I don't have copies of my original packet?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Before I submitted my original I-129F packet I made scans of everything. Now as I'm looking at my computer for them I can't locate them. I've looked everywhere and I guess the scans didn't save properly. What can I do now that I don't have copies of my original packet?

Unfirtunately you may be in a tough spot. You should never submit originals. A good rule of thumb is to make 3 copies of original. One for you, one for submittal and one for your fiance.

I would suggest maybe trying to recover them if the copier you used has a hard drive. Otherwise pray you don't need anything. There is no replacement for paper copies. Good luck.

Unfirtunately you may be in a tough spot. You should never submit originals. A good rule of thumb is to make 3 copies of original. One for you, one for submittal and one for your fiance.

I would suggest maybe trying to recover them if the copier you used has a hard drive. Otherwise pray you don't need anything. There is no replacement for paper copies. Good luck.

shoeman, I think you've misunderstood OP's concern. OP, it's not a big deal that you do not have a copy of everything you sent. It's helpful to have it if you get an RFE and you can look back at exactly what you sent, (especially if you get an RFE because they've lost part of your package--it happens!), but other than that, not necessary. Don't stress. I did not find this site til well into the waiting for NOA2 phase, and certainly did not have a copy of the package I'd sent. You should be OK.

Timeline

I can get some of the stuff of course, but it does specifically say a copy of the entire I-129f packet that you submitted. There is a fair portion I can do from scratch, but what about all the little nuances? I'm pretty sure we're getting the information this week to set up the interview, so I need to get all of this sent along.

I can get some of the stuff of course, but it does specifically say a copy of the entire I-129f packet that you submitted. There is a fair portion I can do from scratch, but what about all the little nuances? I'm pretty sure we're getting the information this week to set up the interview, so I need to get all of this sent along.

That's a recommendation by Visajourney, not a USCIS or Department of State requirement.

Timeline

That's a recommendation by Visajourney, not a USCIS or Department of State requirement.

Truly? I've been stressing all evening looking through my computer for files that just aren't there. I'm even having trouble looking at the USCIS website to see the info. I do hope this is true, so I can start getting this info to my Fiancee as soon as possible.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Try having a IT person try an recover the missing docs. Going forward always make 3 hard copies, scan it, and save to a thumb drive or something so you may access them later.

You are not requried to have a copy of the I-129F package. Don't worrt. Like it was mentioned, it is a VJ recommendation not a USCIS requirement.

However I do recommend a virus and malware scan on your computer if you haven't already.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Truly? I've been stressing all evening looking through my computer for files that just aren't there. I'm even having trouble looking at the USCIS website to see the info. I do hope this is true, so I can start getting this info to my Fiancee as soon as possible.

Your fiancee would just be bringing the exact set of papers that the officer at the consulate will already have. It would be nice to have it just in case they've misplaced something, but not a problem if you don't. Apart from all the forms and stuff, for docs like birth certificates, divorce certs etc, she should be BRINGING the "originals" (certified copy of the original held by the relevant authority) because you will have only sent an ordinary photocopy of those. (if you sent your "originals" with your packet, you should ask them to make a copy and give you the "original": back for your records).

Timeline

Your fiancee would just be bringing the exact set of papers that the officer at the consulate will already have. It would be nice to have it just in case they've misplaced something, but not a problem if you don't. Apart from all the forms and stuff, for docs like birth certificates, divorce certs etc, she should be BRINGING the "originals" (certified copy of the original held by the relevant authority) because you will have only sent an ordinary photocopy of those. (if you sent your "originals" with your packet, you should ask them to make a copy and give you the "original": back for your records).

That was always one of the very specific things said; no original documents are needed at any point unless asked through RFE by the government. Only copies are needed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, truly it isn't needed....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The software that came with your scanner will probably save a copy SOMEWHERE on your hard drive - even though you might not have a filename you recognize. Try looking for any files that were created during the timeframe when you know you scanned the document.

This happened to me once - with a very critical document. I did find it under the CanonScan directory (I have a Canon LiDE 210 scanner).

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Try having a IT person try an recover the missing docs. Going forward always make 3 hard copies, scan it, and save to a thumb drive or something so you may access them later.

A good rule of thumb is to make extra hard copies of everything. Computers fail, data is lost, paper lives on.

Try scanning your computer by files created in the date range in which you made the scans. Sometimes, programs squirrel away files in obscure areas and under non-intuitive file names. narrowing your search by date might help.

Good luck.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Don't worry about it, no one asks for a copy of the petition package. I suggest you complete another G-325A and email a copy to your fiancee this will give her information about you that is worth while for the interview and CFO. If you have been married before copies of your divorce decree will still be needed. After that no one cares about the I-129F package.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.