TheResistance

Living Conditions in Manila, Philippines Bad for Her

58 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

And yes, I am just looking for any additional, positive, leads or ideas. I do not wish to be questioned on if I know her and what she does with her money. I know the situation, and time is running out for us. All I ask is for some ideas on places to pass by to her, even back in Iloilo. Especially if she can be alone. Thanks for your suggestions. :)

Edited by TheResistance

And yes, I am just looking for any additional, positive, leads or ideas. I do not wish to be questioned on if I know her and what she does with her money. I know the situation, and time is running out for us. All I ask is for some ideas on places to pass by to her, even back in Iloilo. Especially if she can be alone. Thanks for your suggestions. :)

Studio type apartment is probably her best bet but it would cost more than a bed space. Here is what I found in the Manila area. I don't personally know the area. Her options are; 1. To move out of Manila since the cost of living is really high, 2. Get a studio type apt somewhere or 3. Get a bed spacer in Manila. You can have her try with clothing factory. They don't require hot and young there. Even in the call center. I used to work with a 62 year old (new hire).

Edited by POA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

To address some misconceptions, inquires, and shenanigans.....

amberammo9915, yes she knows I look for answers on this site and ***removed***. She has access to Facebook groups.

toddriegel, yes known her for over a year. Also, I surpass the required income even with what I do. As far as transportation, she knows how of course, but from all the stories of cabbies picking up someone else to assist in a mugging or they not let you out of vehicle unharmed is disturbing. As far as the money, she had to buy her own plane tickets out of Singapore and Iloilo. She has to pay for transportation. There was family issues she was to do, by tradition. Then family took advantage by demanding money from her. It was a mess, but as she left her job, she had very little. And yes, she does not spend much, but she was not earning enough to save. As I said, they were abusive. She is not a big eater either.

JL818, you are correct in your bullet points. She hardly had savings, and rarely sent money to family. As far as "maid," they made her one from what her job was: nanny. She had to buy at times food and such she needed. She does not buy clothes, or games, or jewelry, etc. As the transportation goes, not afraid, but cautious and she has no place to leave things aside where she is staying.

You all got to take my word for this. :) Yes, there are much in details I have to leave out, but you can trust my words (says the unknown non-human in cyberspace typing this).

Oliviaalexandra88, it was her only option at the moment. I believe she could have handled the family matters, but that is me.

If that is the case then it is just bad decision making and bad money management, I know many who suffer from this. And i also know people who are frugal and great money managers and they seem to be the ones who can stretch a dollar in a way that makes $200 - $300 a month could give them luxury living. I don't want to stereotype but i know many people from Asian countries who can not just survive but thrive right here in Amman on only $200 a month. As for myself that $200 dollars a month wont even cover my transportation in Amman. So it goes down to the person and how good they can stretch money when its scarce.

Timeline

$300 is not a lot, not for everyone, not everywhere here in the Philippines. People here, a family even, lives for less than $200 a month, because they try to stretch it, in some provinces here they could be living a decent lifestyle, not my definition of comfortable though, and definitely not luxurious or living like a queen.

There are many poor people in the Philippines, many of them having a household income of less than $200 a month.

My point is, cause I read it a lot here, $200 a month can be a monthly budget of a family here in the Philippines, they can survive, having basic stuff and we can consider that decent, that is living without air conditioning, trying to buy the cheapest things, eating out once in a blue moon, no cable, no high speed internet (well high speed internet is like a myth in the Philippines), no spa, no gym membership, no insurance, and public hospital services, public schools, etc.

Here in Cavite which is 30 minutes away from Mall of asia without traffic, $1000 is not living in luxury, it's very decent but not lavish.

So if the OP would give $300 a month to his girl in manila, that can be enough, for one person, she can afford to rent a room, but not an apartment, not a condo, she can have air conditioning but not for the whole day, she can eat a good meal everyday, but not in restaurant or even fast food every single day, she can pamper herself in cheap salons or spa maybe once a month but she might not be able to afford laser treatments or gluta IV, she can live with $300 a month, but not like a queen just decently.

And if she can understand tagalog she should be fine in manila, Manila is not that crazy dangerous. And if she cannot handle manila, have her go back to iloilo where she is more familiar, live in a different town from her family, support her from there and just fly her back to manila when needed. Or a closer province like cavite or laguna (the farther from manila the cheaper the rent) Get an internet connection and computer so she can work from home, a tutor, an online assistant, an online seller. If there's a will, there's a way, if someone really wants to work, not matter the age, the job and the hours, even selling banana que in the streets if you really want to earn money.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

$300 is not a lot, not for everyone, not everywhere here in the Philippines. People here, a family even, lives for less than $200 a month, because they try to stretch it, in some provinces here they could be living a decent lifestyle, not my definition of comfortable though, and definitely not luxurious or living like a queen.

There are many poor people in the Philippines, many of them having a household income of less than $200 a month.

My point is, cause I read it a lot here, $200 a month can be a monthly budget of a family here in the Philippines, they can survive, having basic stuff and we can consider that decent, that is living without air conditioning, trying to buy the cheapest things, eating out once in a blue moon, no cable, no high speed internet (well high speed internet is like a myth in the Philippines), no spa, no gym membership, no insurance, and public hospital services, public schools, etc.

Here in Cavite which is 30 minutes away from Mall of asia without traffic, $1000 is not living in luxury, it's very decent but not lavish.

So if the OP would give $300 a month to his girl in manila, that can be enough, for one person, she can afford to rent a room, but not an apartment, not a condo, she can have air conditioning but not for the whole day, she can eat a good meal everyday, but not in restaurant or even fast food every single day, she can pamper herself in cheap salons or spa maybe once a month but she might not be able to afford laser treatments or gluta IV, she can live with $300 a month, but not like a queen just decently.

And if she can understand tagalog she should be fine in manila, Manila is not that crazy dangerous. And if she cannot handle manila, have her go back to iloilo where she is more familiar, live in a different town from her family, support her from there and just fly her back to manila when needed. Or a closer province like cavite or laguna (the farther from manila the cheaper the rent) Get an internet connection and computer so she can work from home, a tutor, an online assistant, an online seller. If there's a will, there's a way, if someone really wants to work, not matter the age, the job and the hours, even selling banana que in the streets if you really want to earn money.

So going to a spa only once a month is stretching it? I only go to a spa maybe every two years if my mother in law brings me there lol.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

So going to a spa only once a month is stretching it? I only go to a spa maybe every two years if my mother in law brings me there lol.

That is what i mean by people with good money management skills. Everyone has their own idea of a good quality life style. Some people are define a good quality life style as being able to have roof over their heads eat 3 meals a day and have heat and electricity. Others define a good life style by adding a gym membership, high speed internet, massage, spa. Others define a good lifestyle as adding even more to the list such being able to replace their smartphone every year, being able to go clubbing or to the movies every week, being able to purchase clothing on almost a daily basis, being able to buy High priced handbags, shoes, sneakers. So yea it goes down to the person.

I remember when i was back in college i studied part time and worked full time. The money i earned working payed for my tuition, living expenses and everything else, so i did not have to take out a loan or borrow money from anyone. My house mate on the other hand studied part time but did not work at all, she had a very lavish lifestyle, went to clubs almost daily on top she had the nerve to get upset at her parents because they weren't sending her enough money to live on her own.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would suggest to move to smaller city. Cebu is less expensive than Manila and it offers same fun or whatever the reason she moved there.

She can rent a room in a boarding house for 1200-1800 a month with wifi. She can even cook inside her room if she likes for additional 50-100 a month (that for using additional appliances like iron, rice cooker etc.) The super market is accessible through Tricycle for 8 pesos to 10 per ride that offers fresh foods, like seafoods OMG the best ( still alive fish) for cheap price. If she doesn't want to cook, there's lots of Carenderia (Cafeteria) that she can go for 30pesos per meal and she'll be satisfied. That 200 to 300 dollars a month will go to distance if she knows how to budget. She can even get her nails done and hair done for that amount with little left for savings.

I for one, I moved to Cebu from Mindanao while waiting for our papers to be ready. It was great experience!!!!.. Since my husband does not want me to work so I kept myself busy. I joined zumba for 600 pesos a month and met some friends and its just a walking distance from where I live. To be specific, I lived in Lapu- Lapu..

Don't worry about thugs, they're all over the world. You just have to be very careful and be selective to whom you're going to hang out with.

OP, you're such a very sweet and thoughtful and a very generous fiancé, thumbs-up for that!

But this is my opinion, we Filipinos are very strong willed woman and smart! I myself worked for a decade as a domestic helper in hongkong before moving to Canada, I know a lot of ugly stories how employers treat their helpers, and mark my words, this experiences being a live in helper, makes us more stronger! We learned how to manage our own finances, I learned how to be more aware of everything, and I learned how to choose specially in decision making..,

Your fiancée should not choose living in Manila if she doesn't have enough money, (I mean if you're sending her $200-$300 a month) that's more than enough..

Life is a choice, there's a lot of cheaper and safer way to live in the Philippines.. For sure she knows that! I think you should know more about how is the lifestyle in the Philippines so you have an idea..

Cavite, Rizal, Laguna are just few nicer places that are near Manila.

I hope you're not offended in some of the comments here, they're just plain truth. Good luck!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Have you verified that is her real living conditions or is it a scam? When you visit her, where do you stay? Living conditions are bad in Third World Countries, but she can move and work and live better. I know you are concerned for her wellbeing but still dont be fooled out of your moneu.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Everyone has given you suggestions on where she can stay, how to get around but it's obvious someone doesn't want to face the fact of whats really going on. If you don't want people to question you, you shouldn't post on here. Everyone that's dating or married to a filipina that's living or lives there now KNOWS that 200-300 USD is plenty to live on and have extra. Maybe you should read how people get scammed by sending money over there to women. It might make you think twice about it. My wife asked me 1 time in a year. She asked for 35 USD.

Have you verified that is her real living conditions or is it a scam? When you visit her, where do you stay? Living conditions are bad in Third World Countries, but she can move and work and live better. I know you are concerned for her wellbeing but still dont be fooled out of your moneu.

I agree with you. It's obvious whats going on but some people don't want to face they're being scammed. I'd hate to be in his situtation.

Timeline

Seriously you are basically posting asking how to make money? If you can't afford to help her there's nothing you can do. I would be very careful, there's a lot of girls just looking for money, my wife never once asked me to send her money. When she visits the Philippines she literally spends under $100 USD for 3 weeks and that is with an unlimited credit card she can use anytime. IMO any girl complaining about needing more money is a huge red flag.

Someone posted you're looking for help finding a better place, but if your GF has no job doesn't she have a ton of time to look for something like that?

Timeline

Everyone has given you suggestions on where she can stay, how to get around but it's obvious someone doesn't want to face the fact of whats really going on. If you don't want people to question you, you shouldn't post on here. Everyone that's dating or married to a filipina that's living or lives there now KNOWS that 200-300 USD is plenty to live on and have extra. Maybe you should read how people get scammed by sending money over there to women. It might make you think twice about it. My wife asked me 1 time in a year. She asked for 35 USD.

I totally agree, they were living before a significant other came into their life and didn't die. Asking for money just is a big no no, although I know a lot that do it and have success. But I would probably have to get after my wife with her spending once she got here if she was like that, I literally basically scream at my wife sometimes to use the credit card, she still won't listen if she thinks it's a waste of money. She got stuck in China for a delay and I told her she had to pay $200 and stay at hilton near the airport, instead she decided to go free from Air China with 1 hour bus trip to the hotel. I would much rather have a complaint my wife is cheap, than ridiculous in spending habits.

I totally agree, they were living before a significant other came into their life and didn't die. Asking for money just is a big no no, although I know a lot that do it and have success. But I would probably have to get after my wife with her spending once she got here if she was like that, I literally basically scream at my wife sometimes to use the credit card, she still won't listen if she thinks it's a waste of money. She got stuck in China for a delay and I told her she had to pay $200 and stay at hilton near the airport, instead she decided to go free from Air China with 1 hour bus trip to the hotel. I would much rather have a complaint my wife is cheap, than ridiculous in spending habits.

You don't need to know someone's situation to see what's happening to the guy. Anyone that's been to the Philippines knows you can make it with a decent place to stay for 200-300 dollars and have plenty of money for food and utilities. She can even get internet around 1500 pesos if she really wanted to and so they have a way to see each other. Sounds like you have a great wife like mine. Congratulations.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.