Janelle2002

A new exodus? The reality of being Jewish in Europe today

24 posts in this topic

Huh?

Actually nobody hated anyone else before Obama. Gotta know history.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Is there a full moon out tonight?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

The leader of the group of terrorists who carried out the attacks that killed 130 people in Paris two weeks ago also planned to strike at the French Jewish community, Reuters reported Friday, quoting a witness statement related to the investigation into the November 13 terror attacks. The report did not specify which Jewish targets were intended to be hit.

The terrorists were also planning to disrupt the education and transportation systems in the French capital, Reuters said.

Abdelhamid Abaaoud, aged 27, was killed on November 18 in a police raid on an apartment building in the Paris suburb of Saint-Denis.

The Reuters reportquoted the witness statement saying that Belgian national Abaaoud “also boasted of the ease with which he had re-entered Europe from Syria via Greece two months earlier, exploiting the confusion of the migrant crisis and the continent’s passport-free Schengen system.”

000_TS-ARP4340045-e1447872095908-305x172

French army soldiers stand in position in the northern Paris suburb of Saint-Denis, on November 18, 2015, as French Police special forces raid an apartment, hunting those behind the attacks that claimed 130 lives in the French capital five days ago. (AFP PHOTO/KENZO TRIBOUILLARD)

The quotes were apparently taken from a confidential police witness statement leaked this week to French magazine Valeurs Actuelles.

Two days after the Paris bloodbath, Abaaoud asked his cousin Hasna Ait Boulahcen to hide him as he prepared more attacks, the witness statement reportedly said.

He told her “they would do worse (damage) in districts close to the Jews and would disrupt transport and schools,” the witness statement said.

Untitlesdadd-1-305x172.jpg

Hasna Ait Boulahcen (YouTube screen capture)

“Abaaoud said he would give Boulahcen 5,000 euros (about $5,000) to buy two suits and two pairs of shoes for him and an unidentified accomplice to ‘look the part’ in a planned attack on Paris’s commercial district La Defense,” Reuters said.

Boulahcen was killed in the same raid as her cousin.

The Paris prosecutor’s office said Friday it would launch an investigation into how the confidential statement was leaked to the press, Reuters said.

Islamist terrorists have targeted the French Jewish community on more than one occasion. In January, four people were shot dead in an attack at the Hyper Cacher kosher supermarket in Paris, two days after 12 people were killed in an attack on the offices of the Charlie Hebdo magazine in the French capital.

In March 2012, a rabbi, his two young children and another young girl were shot and killed by an Islamist gunman at a Jewish school in the city of Toulouse.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/paris-ringleader-planned-attacks-on-jewish-targets-report/

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The Ummah are marching.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
Refugee crisis: Sweden admits 'we simply don’t know where they are' after 14,000 illegal immigrants go underground

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/refugee-crisis-sweden-admits-we-simply-don-t-know-where-they-are-after-14000-illegal-immigrants-go-a6752491.html

Sweden is another hub of muslim extremism that in recent years has orchestrated several attacks against Jews. I wouldn't wanna visit Malmo anytime soon.

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Timeline

Anti-Semitism in Malmö reveals flaws in Swedish immigration system
Jewish community centre has been under armed guard, a rabbi attacked, and few want to talk about it
By Karin Wells, CBC News Posted: May 22, 2015 4:51 PM ET Last Updated: May 25, 2015 1:29 PM ET

Siavosh Derakhti, a Muslim and the child of refugees of the Iran-Iraq war, has become a champion in the fight against anti-Semitism in Malmö, Sweden. He gets hate mail from the far-right and death threats from fellow Muslims.
Siavosh Derakhti, a Muslim and the child of refugees of the Iran-Iraq war, has become a champion in the fight against anti-Semitism in Malmö, Sweden. He gets hate mail from the far-right and death threats from fellow Muslims. (Karin Wells/CBC)

"Safe is Not Enough" - a Karin Wells documentary 31:07

784 shares

Facebook

Twitter

Reddit

Google

Email
Related Stories

Living in Yarmouk refugee camp is hard enough. Then ISIS showed up.
Bangladesh, Burma refugees have nowhere to go
Rohingya, Bangladeshi boat migrants get temporary shelter
Jihadi Town - a Karin Wells documentary
Muslim refugees and the cost of Sweden's kindness
Malaysia launches talks amid Asia's growing migrant crisis
Syrian Refugee Crisis: North Vancouver church extends helping hand
No easy answers on ISIS religious persecution, MPs learn
Canada considers prioritizing religious minorities in Syria refugee resettlement
The Sunday Edition
"A Jew, I cannot believe that you cannot be a Jew in Sweden!" says Siavosh Derakhti.

The 23-year-old Muslim is the child of Iranian parents, refugees of the Iran-Iraq war. He has become a champion in the fight against anti-Semitism in Malmö, a town a little smaller than Halifax perched on the southern tip of Sweden.

Muslim immigrants, most with roots in the Middle East, make up nearly a third of Malmö's population.

Listen to Karin Wells' full documentary on tensions in Malmö, "Safe is not enough."
Cultural tension in the town has been building for years, much of it directed against the new immigrants, but anti-Semitism has also been rising. The Simon Weisenthal Center in Los Angeles issued a travel advisory to Jews in 2010 – don't go to Malmö. It reissued the warning last year.

Derakhti gets hate mail from the far-right and death threats from fellow Muslims.

"When we have let the world into our town, we have the political controversy you have in the Middle East," says Anders Ekelm, vicar of the Church of Sweden in Malmö. "Among those people you will find anti-Semitism. We have to be honest about it."

Sweden has a generous immigration policy – last year, this country of nine million took in 85,000 refugees. According to an OECD study citing 2013 figures, Sweden took in more than twice as many asylum seekers per capita as any other member country, and roughly 20 times as many per capita as Canada.

malmo-protest-cp-6363908-wide
Masked protesters engage in a confrontation with police in Malmö, Sweden. In recent years, protests for and against Muslim immigrants have been frequent and sometimes violent. (Drago Prvulovic/Associated Press)

In Malmö the immigrants are concentrated in one pocket of the city, Rosengaard. Unemployment in the area runs at 70 per cent, stones are thrown regularly at mail carriers and police, and 150 cars were torched during summer riots in 2013. Protests for and against Muslim immigrants are frequent and tough.

Engineer Peter Fribourg and his wife Marie, a lawyer, are what are now called 'ethnic Swedes.' "It's a tough matter, you have different cultures colliding. We are not succeeding in the way we would like."

Marie agrees, adding that Malmö meant well but was not properly prepared to help the huge influx of immigrants settle. "I was much more liberal and welcoming before … (but) there have been so many in the last few years we do not know how to deal with them. They will not assimilate."

Threatened minority

There have been 137 anti-Semitic incidents reported to authorities in Malmö the past two years.

The Rabbi of the Malmö synagogue, Shneur Kesselman, says he has been spat upon and cursed. Most recently, a bottle thrown from a passing car narrowly missed his head, he says.

Synagogue in Malmo
The Rabbi of the Malmö synagogue says he has been spat upon, cursed, and was nearly hit recently by a bottle thrown from a passing car. (Karin Wells/CBC)

Some have left because they are scared. The Jewish community in Malmö has shrunk by 50 per cent to about 1,000 in the past 10 years.

"Hatred of Muslims, as bad as it is — and it's terrible — is not challenging the Muslim minority, their safety," Kesselman says.

"Anti-Semitism here in Malmö today is threatening the existence of a minority."

In February, a Palestinian Dane shot and killed two people in Copenhagen, including a guard at a synagogue. Copenhagen is a 20-minute train ride from Malmö. Police armed with automatic weapons were immediately stationed outside the community centre in Malmö.

"To be honest," says Sofia Lunderquist, administrative director of Malmö's Jewish community centre, "we were in a way happy, because finally the normal Swedes, the Swedish police and Swedish government understood that we're not fantasizing. They have woken up now."

Even so, a few months ago, Lunderquist's 19-year-old son Jonathan Vaknine — the only Jew in a school of 1,600 — was swarmed in the hallway, sworn at and pushed around by young men asking 'Are you Jewish?'

Harassment of young Jews in Malmö is not unusual, but the difference is that Vaknine reported it to the police and gave them the name of one of the attackers. It was three months before the police called Vaknine for a statement, and the named youth was not interviewed.

There is a political correctness in Sweden. You don't discuss your problems, you push them under the carpet.
- Peter Fribourg, Malmö resident
A few weeks after the swarming, Swedish television aired an hour-long documentary on anti-Semitism in Malmö. A Swedish journalist put on a kippa, sat at an outdoor café and wandered into Rosengaard. He was called a Jewish Satan, and people threw eggs at him from their apartments.

Siavosh Derakhti was part of that documentary, and "it lit a fire in me," Vaknine says. He contacted Derakhti, who agreed to come to the boy's school to speak.

Derakhti has been awarded Sweden's first Raoul Wallenberg medal, named after the renegade Swedish diplomat who saved the lives of thousands of Hungarian Jews in World War II. He is a national figure, but the principal of Vaknine's school turned him down.

The school authorities did emphasize their concern for Vaknine's safety, but the student says he told them, "Safe is not enough. That is not the issue. If I hide who I am and hide my identity, of course no one will know I'm a Jew and they will not do anything. But if I am going with kippa, with things that show that I'm a Jew, I'm not sure I would be safe."

Residents say public discussion of immigration-related issues is difficult.

"There is a political correctness in Sweden," Fribourg says. "You don't discuss your problems, you push them under the carpet."

"And if you do talk about them, you are immediately called a racist," adds Lunderquist. "That's a very Swedish response, afraid of tackling problems. It's better to pretend the problem does not exist."

Jonathan Vaknine and Sofia Lunderquist
Jonathan Vaknine and his mother Sophia Lunderquist of Malmö, Sweden, have first-hand experience with anti-Semitism in their local community. (Karin Wells/CBC)

Derakhti was invited to meet U.S. President Barack Obama when he visited Sweden two years ago, for example, but he is still waiting for a meeting with the Mayor of Malmö.

"Sweden is a country where we always try to reach consensus," says Lena Posner-Körösi, head of the Official Council of Jewish communities in Sweden. "You don't want anyone to be angry at you."

The effect, she maintains, is that nothing happens.

"The growth of the populistic parties all over Europe is a result of not dealing with the problems and not helping to integrate the newcomers to Europe."

A recent poll by Ipsos says the majority of Swedes want to keep the doors open to refugees, and Sweden plans to take in 100,000 this year. But at the same time, there is a growing realization that with immigration must come integration.

While the government remains slow to act, religious leaders and the Chamber of Commerce are now talking social cohesion.

For the first time there are town halls and surveys asking people about changes needed in Malmö. NGOs are moving in to immigrant districts with urban renewal projects.

"Yes, we should open up to everyone who needs to come here," says Posner-Körösi. "My father was one of 500 children allowed to come to Sweden from Berlin in 1939. My father survived because they at least let him and a few others in. We have to help each other. The problem is not letting people in, the problem is what do you do with those who are here."

She says the experiences of those in the Jewish community could ultimately contribute to helping Sweden find the answers to its immigration challenges.

"Jews have been in Europe for 2,000 years. We are integrated without being assimilated. We have so much to teach about minority identity — we have mutual interest to do something positive for future."

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So only Muslims are attacking Jewish people?

absolutely not, they'd not be real muslims.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

absolutely not, they'd not be real muslims.

Who is the real Muslim? Do we have a name?