StephenShakeira

Simple/Common assault?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello, I am the petitioner and we are at the consulate stage of our K-1 visa. What are the chances (honestly) of my fiance getting approved at his K-1 visa interview with 2 common assault charges on his police check? The charges are from 2005 and 2007. I've read many places that these are not CIMT, but when I search this forum, our chances seem slim. I have searched and mostly what I find are incomplete timelines and discouraging comments. My fiance's most recent court appearance involved an accusation that was later 'quashed' by the judge. (2013) It doesn't show up on the police check at all and we are thinking we will have to bring those papers to the interview as well. The nerve wracking thing is that the accusation was for a CIMT (assault with occasion of bodily harm.) That being said, the judge recognized that it was a wrongful conviction and quashed it. Even the man's wife (who claimed my fiance hit him) testified against her husband saying that there were no punches thrown. I know every consulate officer is different, but I would love to hear experiences. Thanks so much.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello, I am the petitioner and we are at the consulate stage of our K-1 visa. What are the chances (honestly) of my fiance getting approved at his K-1 visa interview with 2 common assault charges on his police check? The charges are from 2005 and 2007. I've read many places that these are not CIMT, but when I search this forum, our chances seem slim. I have searched and mostly what I find are incomplete timelines and discouraging comments. My fiance's most recent court appearance involved an accusation that was later 'quashed' by the judge. (2013) It doesn't show up on the police check at all and we are thinking we will have to bring those papers to the interview as well. The nerve wracking thing is that the accusation was for a CIMT (assault with occasion of bodily harm.) That being said, the judge recognized that it was a wrongful conviction and quashed it. Even the man's wife (who claimed my fiance hit him) testified against her husband saying that there were no punches thrown. I know every consulate officer is different, but I would love to hear experiences. Thanks so much.

My Fiancé was refused for a criminal charge on his record from 2005. Although found inadmissible he was eligible for a waiver and we are awaiting that decision now.

I would definitely obtain all court records and court proceed documentation you can get to take to the interview. You will need proof that case was dismissed.

Timeline

My Fiancé was refused for a criminal charge on his record from 2005. Although found inadmissible he was eligible for a waiver and we are awaiting that decision now.

I would definitely obtain all court records and court proceed documentation you can get to take to the interview. You will need proof that case was dismissed.

Was the criminal charge a CIMT? Thanks for responding, I appreciate the advice.

Timeline

No I don't think so. It was for marijuana.

I found this. You may encounter this so just be prepared.

No. 10 Crime involving moral turpitude (CIMT)

Persons denied: 994 Denial rate: 83%

The bad CIMT. In immigration work, we lawyers hate to hear this acronym mentioned because it means the clients case will be a hard case! A crime, such as DUI (driving under the influence) will not involve moral turpitude because it does not involve baseness or a bad heart, which is a rough definition of moral turpitude. But DUI with death or injury involved mayinvolve moral turpitude, depending on the local DUI law involved and if there was at least recklessness on the part of the driver in causing the death or injury. Of course, it goes without saying that more serious crimes such as fraud, theft, rape, murder, and so forth are CIMTs. A conviction for a CIMT in an applicants past will make them inadmissible to the U.S. although a waiver is possible. However, the 83% denial rate shows that the waiver will be quite difficult to get.

Now I believe waiver approval rates vary on how good the waiver packet was and the hardships it contained.

Timeline

No I don't think so. It was for marijuana.

I found this. You may encounter this so just be prepared.

No. 10 Crime involving moral turpitude (CIMT)

Persons denied: 994 Denial rate: 83%

The bad CIMT. In immigration work, we lawyers hate to hear this acronym mentioned because it means the clients case will be a hard case! A crime, such as DUI (driving under the influence) will not involve moral turpitude because it does not involve baseness or a bad heart, which is a rough definition of moral turpitude. But DUI with death or injury involved mayinvolve moral turpitude, depending on the local DUI law involved and if there was at least recklessness on the part of the driver in causing the death or injury. Of course, it goes without saying that more serious crimes such as fraud, theft, rape, murder, and so forth are CIMTs. A conviction for a CIMT in an applicants past will make them inadmissible to the U.S. although a waiver is possible. However, the 83% denial rate shows that the waiver will be quite difficult to get.

Now I believe waiver approval rates vary on how good the waiver packet was and the hardships it contained.

Thank you. From what I have read, any crimes involving drugs/possession or trafficking is almost always a CIMT. I'm glad you are able to file a wavier. Everywhere I read, common assault seems to not fall under the category of CIMT, but I can't find anyone on VJ that has had success getting a visa with common assault on their police record. I guess we will find out soon how it goes with us. I will prepare for a waiver just in case.

Timeline

Part of the reason I started posting about it. I think people get a lot of criticism when they talk about it. You don't see much about denials for our reasons and how they can be overcome. It's mostly just bonafide relationship, overstays, or misrepresentation denials you read about.

I was so devastated when we got denied. I wasn't prepared for it at all since everything went so smooth and quick for the first part. I didn't know a thing about waivers. I believe everything happens for reason so I decided to use it to try to help others.

Timeline

Part of the reason I started posting about it. I think people get a lot of criticism when they talk about it. You don't see much about denials for our reasons and how they can be overcome. It's mostly just bonafide relationship, overstays, or misrepresentation denials you read about.

I was so devastated when we got denied. I wasn't prepared for it at all since everything went so smooth and quick for the first part. I didn't know a thing about waivers. I believe everything happens for reason so I decided to use it to try to help others.

Met online through Runescape early 2013.. Just friends B-)B-)B-)B-)B-)

07 Nov 2013. Told her I loved her (L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

June 2014 - Met her for 1st time, Sf is a great town, 5 of the best days ever <3 <3

July/Aug 2014 Spent another 5 days in Sf... only reinforced how much I loved her

March 2015 7 day trip to Sf again, we picked the wedding band (F)(F) (F) (F) (F)

Jun 2015 My Beau visited me here in Aussie..... We just want to be together for always

Aug 2015 My 1st visit to Texas, met the parents in her home town, did another trip to Sf... 20 days of BLISS

16 Aug 2015 Proposed and she said YES!!! :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub: (it was a surprise, she had no idea when I was going to 'pop the question')

I-129F Sent : 14 Aug 2015

I-129F NOA1 : 21 Aug 2015

I-129F NOA2 : 17 Sept 2015

NVC Received : 05 Oct 2015

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 05 Oct 2015

NVC Left : 13 Oct 2015

Consulate Received : 19 Oct 2015

Packet 3 Received : 21 Oct 2015

Packet 3 Sent : 21 Oct 2015

Packet 4 Received : 22 Oct 2015

Interview Date : 20 Nov 2015

26 Oct 2015: Medical in Brisbane, waiting on call for results to pick up report

02 Nov 2015: Call from Medical centre, report ready to pick up. I tested positive to Chicken Pox antibodies, so no need for shots

15 Nov 2015: Medical records collected, everything ready and collated for this Friday 20th Nov interview...waiting again....

Interview Result : APPROVED unconditionally Woooo Hooooo!!!

Visa Received : 25 Nov 2015 YAY!!! Now waiting for my business to sell....

US Entry : 19 Jan 2016

SSN and Marriage license applied for 22 Jan 2016

Marriage : 12 Feb 2016 <3 <3 <3

Comments :

Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 27 days from your NOA1 date.

It's a waiting game...... Let's PLAY!!!!

Timeline

Oops, phone playing up

I meant to quote and say thanks for sharing your experience and trying to help others, we need all the assistance we can get in this process, no judgement.

June 2014 - Met her for 1st time, Sf is a great town, 5 of the best days ever <3 <3

July/Aug 2014 Spent another 5 days in Sf... only reinforced how much I loved her

March 2015 7 day trip to Sf again, we picked the wedding band (F)(F) (F) (F) (F)

Jun 2015 My Beau visited me here in Aussie..... We just want to be together for always

Aug 2015 My 1st visit to Texas, met the parents in her home town, did another trip to Sf... 20 days of BLISS

16 Aug 2015 Proposed and she said YES!!! :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub: (it was a surprise, she had no idea when I was going to 'pop the question')

02 Nov 2015: Call from Medical centre, report ready to pick up. I tested positive to Chicken Pox antibodies, so no need for shots

15 Nov 2015: Medical records collected, everything ready and collated for this Friday 20th Nov interview...waiting again....

Comments :

Timeline

Oops, phone playing up

I meant to quote and say thanks for sharing your experience and trying to help others, we need all the assistance we can get in this process, no judgement.

I agree, it is hard to speak about these things.. especially on a very public forum. But I'm thankful for the honesty and support. Congrats on your approval. :)

Timeline

Thanks ?

Will be watching your progress, hopefully it will all get sorted without too much drama.

My advice, work out all possible scenarios and prepare for them. Prepare for worst, hope for best and double and triple check Everything. That has helped myself and fiancé when 'curve balls' were thrown our way.

Comments :

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Apart from Drugs where reason to believe is what matters, convictions are what count., not charges..

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So long as they were charges and not convictions you should be fine. Just be sure to have all the paperwork.

Now if these charges were against children, you have a completely different situation all together. That would fall under AWA, which is almost impossible to win.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.