Nathan&Cata

Please We need some advice!!!

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Good night to every one....

I am here to ask advice about the evidence my wife and I need to gather for the first package to send. We want to apply for the Cr1 Visa.

We both live in Colombia. We are a young couple, so we don't have join properties or all those things. Here there is a list that my wife and I wrote about the things we can provide. Do you think it is enough to have a strong package? Or If we need more? To be honest, we don't have that much evidence. We haven't want to buy things because we are just trying to save money to move back to America. So the few things we have we got them as gifts for our wedding and other things we just paid in cash without getting any receipt.

· Pictures

· Lease

· Affidavit for my mom, her grandma and her mom

· Affidavit for the school we both work

· Post in the newspaper from family (Need translation)

· Wedding card (Need translation)

· Posts on facebook from family

· Messages with my mom ( We have a group on facebook messanger were we talk)

· The document from comfacesar (need translation)

· Copy of my passport stamps to visit her before the wedding

· Copy of my spouse visa here in Colombia

· Cards copy

· Wedding ring receipt

· Flowers receipt

· Copy of my foreigner ID card here in Colombia

I know this is difficult, but I will keep trying. It will work because, this distance is nothing compared to our love. :wub:

10/2013 we met at church in USA, through some common friends. We became friends.

06/07/2014 we went to our first date. :dancing: Why did we take so long to go out? :ranting:

06/22/2014 I said YES.. I want to be your girlfriend... :luv:

07/16/2014 I had to come back to Colombia because my program was over :cry:

10/10/2014 My love met me in Colombia to spend my birthday weekend with me. We got engaged (L)

02/17/2015 - 03/09/2015 He came back to Colombia to visit me and met my family. :star:

05/12/2015 We couldn't stand the distance, so he decided to move here with me. :wub:

05/28/2015 We got married at the notary. 06/06/2015 We got married at church :D

12/03/2016  Moved back to the USA. 🥰

08/2020 Became a Citizen. 🇱🇷

08/2020 Applied to bring my mom. ❤️

02/28/2022 went to pick my mom to the airport in Florida 🤩

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You will need evidence of US Domicile.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mali
Timeline

You may not need this for initial package...but now 14 months into my CR1 journey (yes it takes that long) you will need this later. U.S. citizens are subject to United States income taxes, no matter if you live overseas unless that country has tax reciprocity with the USA. So if one of you is a US citizen you need to file US taxes on your foreign earnings for the years you are married together. If your marriage is new, 2015 is the first time you file together. Or you can file married, filing separately which is much higher tax. If your spouse does not have a social security number, get an ITIN from IRS. If you live overseas, both you and your spouse are Affordable Health Care exempt code C. I had to file our 2014 tax return as joint, with my spouses foreign earnings (not taxable anywhere but U.S) but but he already had a Social security number in the US so I did not have to apply for an ITIN. And my spouse has not been able to come to US for last 2 years!

Edited by 99balloons

my suggestion is best to show pictures over time. its quality not quantity.

anyone can take pictures...like 100+ a day.

the case worker looking at your file doesn't care how many pictures you submit but cares that the pictures submitted reflect love and commitment over time. be sure the settings are varied, as are the people in the pictures and clothes worn. you want to show how the 2 of you have aged, come together and participate in each others lives.

A picture of you 2 at her aunt's house for a birthday celebration, and another one you and her at the beach with friends, another one at a child's christening, or her brother's wedding, or your sister's housewarming, etc all mean something. Include pics of the 2 of you celebrating personal milestones....1st wedding anniversary with a date and time stamp, purchasing an item (something for the house eg lamp, stove, etc) or at the bus station waiting for transit. It shows you are a couple and are living life with family and friends.

to submit 25 pictures of the same event (such as your wedding) shows limited proof of a relationship other than you agreed to marry each other.

if you truly are a couple and live like a real couple then you should represent that...

we submitted many pics of us in airports showing our hellos and goodbyes and then submitted travel itineraries, luggage tags and boarding passes as proof. an officer can see then how you've aged (or hair has changed, etc) over time....and boy did we change over the years....:)

front loading is a good suggestion....and don't stop collecting evidence once you submitted your application. keep collecting and logging it all. yes, its laborious but will be well worth it in the end.

good luck.

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

True, but not for filing the I-130 which is where the OP is at this point.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

USCIS and the Embassy does not require a couple to own property together so do not stress that.

My comments on your items are in bold and red.

Good night to every one....

I am here to ask advice about the evidence my wife and I need to gather for the first package to send. We want to apply for the Cr1 Visa.

We both live in Colombia. We are a young couple, so we don't have join properties or all those things. Here there is a list that my wife and I wrote about the things we can provide. Do you think it is enough to have a strong package? Or If we need more? To be honest, we don't have that much evidence. We haven't want to buy things because we are just trying to save money to move back to America. So the few things we have we got them as gifts for our wedding and other things we just paid in cash without getting any receipt.

· Pictures Good, as long as they span the course of your relationship and are not of the same background.

· Lease Good

· Affidavit for my mom, her grandma and her mom Worthless, these carry little to zero weight in the overall evaluation of a file.

· Affidavit for the school we both work Same as previous.

· Post in the newspaper from family (Need translation) Worthless

· Wedding card (Need translation) Translation is optional

· Posts on facebook from family Just like the affidavits, these won't carry much weight either.

· Messages with my mom ( We have a group on facebook messanger were we talk) This is OK.

· The document from comfacesar (need translation) Is this the marriage certificate? If so only a photocopy will be needed for the I-130 submission (translation required)

· Copy of my passport stamps to visit her before the wedding Good

· Copy of my spouse visa here in Colombia Good

· Cards copy Greeting cards to each other? This is OK.

· Wedding ring receipt Worthless

· Flowers receipt Worthless

· Copy of my foreigner ID card here in Colombia Good

Your best evidence is time spent together in-person, this is your best and strongest evidence. Since you are living together in Columbia, you shouldn't have any shortage of such evidence.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

We know we have to prove domicile in the USA... But right now we want to worry about the first package.... ?

I know this is difficult, but I will keep trying. It will work because, this distance is nothing compared to our love. :wub:

10/2013 we met at church in USA, through some common friends. We became friends.

06/07/2014 we went to our first date. :dancing: Why did we take so long to go out? :ranting:

10/10/2014 My love met me in Colombia to spend my birthday weekend with me. We got engaged (L)

02/17/2015 - 03/09/2015 He came back to Colombia to visit me and met my family. :star:

05/12/2015 We couldn't stand the distance, so he decided to move here with me. :wub:

Timeline

You may not need this for initial package...but now 14 months into my CR1 journey (yes it takes that long) you will need this later. U.S. citizens are subject to United States income taxes, no matter if you live overseas unless that country has tax reciprocity with the USA. So if one of you is a US citizen you need to file US taxes on your foreign earnings for the years you are married together. If your marriage is new, 2015 is the first time you file together. Or you can file married, filing separately which is much higher tax. If your spouse does not have a social security number, get an ITIN from IRS. If you live overseas, both you and your spouse are Affordable Health Care exempt code C. I had to file our 2014 tax return as joint, with my spouses foreign earnings (not taxable anywhere but U.S) but but he already had a Social security number in the US so I did not have to apply for an ITIN. And my spouse has not been able to come to US for last 2 years!

Thanks.... We have read about it. My wife lived in the USA for 2 years and she got a social security number... Do you think I can still use that number to file my taxes on my foreign earnings as joint?

Timeline

my suggestion is best to show pictures over time. its quality not quantity.

anyone can take pictures...like 100+ a day.

the case worker looking at your file doesn't care how many pictures you submit but cares that the pictures submitted reflect love and commitment over time. be sure the settings are varied, as are the people in the pictures and clothes worn. you want to show how the 2 of you have aged, come together and participate in each others lives.

A picture of you 2 at her aunt's house for a birthday celebration, and another one you and her at the beach with friends, another one at a child's christening, or her brother's wedding, or your sister's housewarming, etc all mean something. Include pics of the 2 of you celebrating personal milestones....1st wedding anniversary with a date and time stamp, purchasing an item (something for the house eg lamp, stove, etc) or at the bus station waiting for transit. It shows you are a couple and are living life with family and friends.

to submit 25 pictures of the same event (such as your wedding) shows limited proof of a relationship other than you agreed to marry each other.

if you truly are a couple and live like a real couple then you should represent that...

we submitted many pics of us in airports showing our hellos and goodbyes and then submitted travel itineraries, luggage tags and boarding passes as proof. an officer can see then how you've aged (or hair has changed, etc) over time....and boy did we change over the years.... :)

front loading is a good suggestion....and don't stop collecting evidence once you submitted your application. keep collecting and logging it all. yes, its laborious but will be well worth it in the end.

good luck.

Thanks for your advice. We have selected like 20 pictures with her family and my family. Most of the pictures have family in them and they go during the time we have been together. But I am gonna recheck them again to make sure I have the right ones ?

Timeline

USCIS and the Embassy does not require a couple to own property together so do not stress that.

My comments on your items are in bold and red.

Your best evidence is time spent together in-person, this is your best and strongest evidence. Since you are living together in Columbia, you shouldn't have any shortage of such evidence.

What we have is a lot of pictures with her family and my family. A lot of facebook posts my family has posted on her page and my page. We were just worried about that we don't have a bank account together, a house, car, no material things. We just live together with the gifts we got from family and stuffs my wife had already.

Timeline

What we have is a lot of pictures with her family and my family. A lot of facebook posts my family has posted on her page and my page. We were just worried about that we don't have a bank account together, a house, car, no material things. We just live together with the gifts we got from family and stuffs my wife had already.

As I said before, don't worry about the things I placed in bold and red, it's not a requirement. Facebook posts on your pages from family members fall into the same category as affidavits, will carry little to zero weight in the overall evaluation of a file.

Our journey:

Spoiler

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You need to show the history of your relationship, not just that a wedding ceremony occurred. Newlyweds don't have many of the comingling of finances. You can't show what you don't have. That's where showing the history up to the present lets the consular officer see that a bona fide relationship exists.

Yes, her Social Security number is for life. Use then when filing your taxes.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.