londongal

Tips for finding work in America?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all

I was wondering if those who have been fortunate enough to find work in the US could share some tips with us who are anticipating the big move or who are already in the US and trying to find work?

For example, I currently have a good job working in Risk & Compliance for one of the big 4 accountancy firms in London. They have an office in Dallas where I will be moving to, however, I know how difficult it can be to find a job to match your qualifications and experience when you're from abroad. I have a law degree and have also been to law school in London - will this help me in any way when I get to America, or am I essentially going to be starting from scratch? (I assume my studies of UK laws and regulations might not hold any weight once I get to America) And I'm sure there are many others of us out there who have qualifications and experience that they are worried might be void once reaching the US.

So to pose the questions:

1. From your experience, are foreign qualifications and/or experience useless in America?
  2. What tips could you recommend for job hunting effectively in the US?
  3. What didn't work for you?
  4. How long did it take you to find work?

Thank you in advance.

Our Journey :goofy:

5/23/2015 - Met my love in the US of A

9/21/2015 - Sent off i-129f!

9/25/2015 - Received NOA1

10/27/2015 - Received NOA2!!!!! :dancing:

11/11/2015- Package received by NVC

11/12/2015- Got our case number

12/09/2015 - Medical

01/13/2016 - Interview & APPROVED! :) :dance:

5/17/2016 - Flight booked!!! The big move is finally here!

5/21/2016 - We got marrieddddddddd :wub:

Filing for Adjustment of Status

5/27/2016 - Applied for SSN and changed to married name - (still not received)

6/8/2016- Filed AoS (I-765, I -131, I 485)

6/13/2016 - AoS Received

6/25/2016- NoA

9/20/2016 - EAD & Advanced parole card received!

10/2/2016 - Green card received!!!! :star:

Removal of Conditions

9/21/2018 - Filed package to Texas via USPS priority mail

9/24/2018- Package delivered confirmed

10/19/2018 - i-551 stamp at infopass appointment

10/26/2018 - 18 month extension receipt notice received

zzflag017.gif united-states-flag.gif

Are you talking about Deloitte, PWC, KPMG, EY type firms ??

Surely they can help you find a place in the Dallas office. Have you talked to them about your relocation? It would be crazy to start job hunting from scratch if you can transfer. Make sure they know you won't require them to get you a work visa.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Hi all

I was wondering if those who have been fortunate enough to find work in the US could share some tips with us who are anticipating the big move or who are already in the US and trying to find work?

For example, I currently have a good job working in Risk & Compliance for one of the big 4 accountancy firms in London. They have an office in Dallas where I will be moving to, however, I know how difficult it can be to find a job to match your qualifications and experience when you're from abroad. I have a law degree and have also been to law school in London - will this help me in any way when I get to America, or am I essentially going to be starting from scratch? (I assume my studies of UK laws and regulations might not hold any weight once I get to America) And I'm sure there are many others of us out there who have qualifications and experience that they are worried might be void once reaching the US.

1. From your experience, are foreign qualifications and/or experience useless in America?

Thank you in advance.

your experience outside the US does count. i hold a masters in engineering from Canada and did petty job to begin with when i migrated here because a) we lived in a little hamlet b) i wanted some kind of income. i was aiming too high to begin with(not that it was wrong)but i had no network. the only thing i did not stop was to hunt for a career job which landed probably a year and a half later.i gained valuable experience from the petty job got some great references that helped me. Networking is the key.Please stick with some staffing agencies. accountancy is a hot field. you will land a good job soon. good luck

Edited by almost_umrican

Timeline

Are you talking about Deloitte, PWC, KPMG, EY type firms ??

Surely they can help you find a place in the Dallas office. Have you talked to them about your relocation? It would be crazy to start job hunting from scratch if you can transfer. Make sure they know you won't require them to get you a work visa.

Hi Nich- Nick , yes you are exactly right.

It's a bit tricky because I'm currently trying to go for a promotion in a new team & I would need the partners approval & recommendation for me to put forward a case for relocation to the Dallas office. In doing so though, I fear I am likely to miss my chance with this round of promotions! I don't want them to know of my plans to move to Dallas yet as I don't want it to hinder my career progression.

Edited by teammayshaw

12/09/2015 - Medical

6/13/2016 - AoS Received

6/25/2016- NoA

Removal of Conditions

Hi all

Thank you in advance.

From your experience, are foreign qualifications and/or experience useless in America?

If what you do requires a licence, then you need to secure one in the US. Other qualifications, certifications or experience do help, but more so in a broad/international organization.

There might be some reservations that you might not know how business is ran in here (US, TX, Dallas) and that depends on the organization.

As you say you work in one of the big4, first thing I'd do is to look for a transfer. Not so much a blind search on your internal job site, but networking (I also work in a large transnational and networking is king). You might need to settle for an intermediate position while something down your alley comes up, but there are some caveats: it might be a downgrade and sometimes, depending on the org, that is not easy to overcome.

While GRC is the same anywhere, many might not see it that way and would say things like "it is done differently in the US"; what they mean is operationally, but they don't even realize it and/or don't know what they are talking about. Be ready to speak the US lingo, or TX lingo in this case.

What tips could you recommend for job hunting effectively in the US?

Make sure your resume is checked thoroughly by a professional. The way resumes/CVs (no one does CV here) are written is quite different.

Since I see you are coming on a K-1, be prepare to not work for 2-3 months + any time before marriage. Unless it is a transfer and some arrangements can be done, you will not have a work permit for some time.

Headhunters/recruiters also play a role; you might want to locate a good one in your area. How? If your transfer efforts are not progressing, perhaps by then you have made enough acquaintances in this Dallas office that one could be recommended to you.

In all cases of making contacts before arrival and immediately after: do mention you are in a path of a GC, with specifics as of timeline (see more on that below) because these days, many orgs don't want to take the time and effort of sponsoring you unless you are at least mid level and/or bring something special to the table.

If there is any US-sought-up certification, you might want to start working on that. For example CISRCP (I'm in IT and know about this one)

What didn't work for you?

Just sending resumes blindly. You might get something and not saying to not do it, but don't underestimate networking and the foot on the door you have by working in the same org that has an office in Dallas. If anything, be selective and focus on you getting a job/career rather than 'just getting a job'.

I'm going to stress again that you will not work for some time; as I think you are driven; the exact time will depend on when you marry and file for AOS + 2-3 months (which is the time your work authorization will take).

How long did it take you to find work?

THis is a question that deserves a depends. The market is quite good now, especially in TX, as long is not in an oil and gas. With all the red tape since Enron; there is a lot more in GRC and it seems to be growing every year. A few years back, when the job market was as bad as it could be, it took about 3-4 months; but not in the risk and compliance field. I'd say that you have a decent chance of joining a consulting org, but maybe not so much in the specific field you want, at least not initially.

It's a bit tricky because I'm currently trying to go for a promotion in a new team & I would need the partners approval & recommendation for me to put forward a case for relocation to the Dallas office. In doing so though, I fear I am likely to miss my chance with this round of promotions! I don't want them to know of my plans to move to Dallas yet as I don't want it to hinder my career progression.

Hmm. This is a tough one. I would certainly like to know someone I'm recommending for promotion has been transparent in his/her plans; on the other side, would that promotion not be possible together with a relocation?

Has there ever been a time in which you have openly pointed out that an overseas assignment is in your mind? (or have you pointed out that it is out of the question?)

Do you often work or seek to work with out of UK offices, Dallas?; or, DO you avoid it at all costs?

You get the picture I hope

Just saw your timeline...WIth NOA1, You have probably 5-6 months before the visa is obtained and probably a couple more before you need to move in here. I'd think that the timeline is in your favor; but still, would thread carefully on what this promotion entails (perhaps a local presence until the team is stable?)

I used to work for one of the Big 4 and transferred to the US as part of the global mobility program, there was definitely a need from the US side and they initiated the resource search. I also know of a friend who used to work for one Big 4, but since they did not have the role/level he was looking for, he ended up going for another Big 4.

International experience is definitely useful, however, I have heard that people coming from non-English speaking countries tend to be vetted more rigorously when doing the internal transfers. Big 4 standards is well known in the accounting/auditing/tax field, you should not have much trouble converting your existing experience.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If all else fails and you enter the U.S. without a job in hand, try this idea:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/466619-what-are-you-doing/?p=6661035

See also the post two down from that one.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Thank you all for your advice. I'm going to wait until I have my interview booked and then I'll tell my work about my plans to move. I'll ask for their help in relocating, but if that fails my next step will be to start looking at jobs at the Big 4 offices and go from there. Fingers crossed!!!

12/09/2015 - Medical

6/13/2016 - AoS Received

6/25/2016- NoA

Removal of Conditions

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

There are tons of temp agencies, especially international ones (Robert Half International) which can help you find work once you've gotten your EAD/GC. Robert Half focuses on a corporate enviorment, but they have offices in every state, and most european countries (Yes, they're in the UK). I would contact them if your current company doesn't allow for a transfer.

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

My tip would be this mainly for people who do not have much experience working at all

Try to meet other people from your country here see if their are simple. jobs opening where they are working. Make americans friends that can help you. Search internet and local job listings.

apply at tempt agencies. if you have the money and or extra resources enroll in a community college

Edited by j&ana

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Does anyone have experience in becoming a teacher. I'm considering it because of the 15 weeks vacation (The 15 days at most other jobs compared to the 30 I'm used to is slowly making me feel depressed) I think being a teacher and having so much time off would be perfect for me in order to travel back to London and spend time with my family & also for them to come and visit me in Texas too.

I've read so far that you need a bachelors degree from an accredited university and then you need to do a certification. I can't seem to find out though if my degree from a London university would count as being "accredited"? Does anyone know?

12/09/2015 - Medical

6/13/2016 - AoS Received

6/25/2016- NoA

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.