saddlepatch

Will having a not so close relationship with spouses parents be a red flag?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Clearly not having a relationship with your wife/husbands family can look odd...but not when they're Anti-LGBT...right?

I hope a fellow LGBT IR-1 or CR-1 VJ'er can help me with this one who was approved and perhaps also do not have supportive parents?

My wifes parents are 150% against gay marriage, they're against equal rights and needless to say because I am a lesbian they naturally do not like me, however they tolerate me (I'll use that word lightly) but will not take photos with us and even avoid having me over whenever I'm visiting etc etc. Also to add my mom dislikes Laura because she thinks shes too clingy...and even though she says she is okay with the marriage she doesn't want it in her house...so Laura is never allowed up here anymore and the times she was up, it was too early in the relationship, meaning our parents didn't know we were dating.

I'm nervous that at the interview if I get asked questions like "So how well do you get along with your in-laws, do they support you?" or "Do you have any photos with your spouses family or vise versa" and I say "No because they don't like me because I'm not a man." That will hinder me from getting a Visa.....

The only family member I get along with is her sister and we have little photos of us together (shes also very antisocial and isn't a fan of the camera, so we don't push it.). They're more recent than not from this past Christmas where I was shockingly allowed to stay for the holiday but again her parents refused to be in any photos as they don't want to look like "advocates". (yeah I know they're crazy, but I married my wife not her parents). As for her other family members, Laura knows them just as much as I do, which is hardly even by name. Most of the family is not in agreeance with LGBT rights...so, what do?

I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about this? I'm really nervous that all this waiting, all our stress and all the money we've spent will be for nothing. We just want to be able to live together finally and not have to do this long distance thing anymore.....so I guess since my interview is days away, I'm trying to find all the negative that could go wrong or get me denied and it's not helping. (I over worry naturally)

I hope they allow her in with me at the Interview too...since she will be coming to Montreal to go. It would help more if she was there to confirm her parents/family grievances toward us. (In my opinion).

We have lots of evidence in terms of our marriage being bonefide. We've been dating since 2010, been friends since the end of 2007. Have lots of photos of us together (That show weight differences too as we both gained weight in the years we've been together), confirmations of flights, hotels, hand made cards which makes up the majority of the evidence we're bringing with us.

Any suggestions and examples of past experiences are grateful!

The Path to Finding My Soul Mate ❤️

2008 - Met on deviantART.com
2009 - Visited each other for the first time as best friends.
2010 - Realized we were meant to be more than friends ❤️
Christmas of 2011 - Engaged!

July 5, 2013 - MARRIED!!
July 18, 2013 - DOMA IS STRUCK DOWN!!!

Waiting on IR-1 Visa to be approved then will celebrate with the beach ceremony/reception of our dreams ❤️

My Visa Journey for IR-1

11/21/2013 - I-130 Package Sent to Phoenix Lockbox

11/26/2013 - Package Arrived in Phoenix!! Waiting on NOA1!

12/02/2013 - NOA1 received VIA Email! Waiting on Hard Copy!

12/04/2013 - Hard Copy Arrived, waiting on approval!!

06/26/2014 - E-Request sent, Security Check still pending. Still waiting on Approval.
07/05/2014 - Our first marriage anniversary!
08/17/2014 - Still awaiting approval. Planning on sending 2nd E-Request in September
10/09/2014 - I-130 APPROVED, NOA2 Received by E-Mail, waiting for package in the mail!! 311 days later, wow!
12/05/2015 - NVC Received. Assigned Case # and Will be Going to Montreal!
12/11/2015 - AOS and IV Bill paid!!!
05/13/2015 - AOS and IV Package sent!
07/05/2015 - Happy Two Year Anniversary!
08/27/2015 - Interview Confirmed on September 25, 2015 at 8am! WE'RE GOING TO MONTREAL! Fingers crossed!! (one day before my birthday!)
09/08/2015 - Medical Done in Toronto with Dr. Lyndon (Highly recommend! Easy to get too via the subway). All clear there! Waiting for it to come in the Mail
09/25/2015 - Visa APPROVED!

Total Time Taken (Till Interview): 1 Year 10 Months

Point of Entry/Green Card Delivery

09/26/2015 - Back home from Montreal, waiting for LOOMIS delivery to pick up VISA
09/30/2015 - Visa Arrived in London, ON for pick up; Visa in hand!
10/01/2015 - Flight Booked! Moving date is October 7th!
10/07/2015 - POE @ YYZ (Toronto Pearson International). Waiting on Greencard delivery

2019 UPDATE Going Home to Canada. Process for their application took 4 months. Smell ya later USA. Won't miss ya.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm nervous that at the interview if I get asked questions like "So how well do you get along with your in-laws, do they support you?" or "Do you have any photos with your spouses family or vise versa" and I say "No because they don't like me because I'm not a man."

I'm no expert here, so take what I say with a very small grain of salt (as someone might contradict what I say) but....

I think at the interview as long as you both know and answer similarly about what the situation is, you should be okay. They are just making sure that the information matches as far as I know.

Know their names, what they do for work, etc, just normal things a regular couple would know.

NOA1- August 7th 2015 ^_^

TSC to PSC- November 10th 2015 :huh:

LOCAL OFFICE- December 2nd 2015 :o

NOA2- February 25th 2016 :D

NVC Stage:

Physical letter received at home address March 17th 2016 (away on business trip)

DS-261 Completed- March 18th 2016

AOS Fee Paid- March 18th 2016

IV Fee Paid- March 26th 2016

IV Application Completed- March 30th 2016

IV and AOS packages sent- May 19th

Interview appointment date received via e-mail- June 2nd (10 business days? how is that even possible?!)

Interview set for June 20th (super short notice!)

VISA DENIED at interview but followed up over email :cry:

VISA ARRIVED 6/30/2016 with no notice of approval over email :pop:

POE Fort Lauderdale 8/15/16 Went smoothly and she's home! :dance:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

A lot depends on the country/ culture you are interviewing in, and your overall case.

For example, in some countries marrying without parental approval is practically unheard of; in Canada, it is more normal; if you have a lot of strong relationship evidence otherwise, they are also less likely to ask

I am in a hetero relationship, but had never met my in-laws before immigration, despite us having their twin grandchildren and being married to their son for three years. I wasn't asked a single question about them or about photos etc. I think you will be fine; just be honest about the reason, even though I sure it hurts to say so, if it does come up.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.