puffers

EAD waiting time after RFE for initial evidence

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It's the norm, once you get a RFE, the processing of EAD starts over, though once everything is ok, it will take less.

There's nothing you can do about it. All the best now.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

EAD is already out of normal processing time.. It is time to submit an inquiry. Wish you good luck and do hope you will hear some good news soon.

My attorney did and so did I even.... My service request is 1 1/2 week old and still no change!

*Forever&Always*​​

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

My attorney did and so did I even.... My service request is 1 1/2 week old and still no change!

That's crazy, and that's exactly what I hate about USCIS. They can do whatever they want, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Did you try to talk to a tier 2 officer?

I hope you hear from them soon! Good luck!

2012: met the woman of my life :wub:

June 2014: filed I-129F

May 2015: visa in hand - got married (L)

June 2015: filed I-485 and I-765

October 2015: EAD

November 2015: Potential Interview Waiver Notice

February 2016: AOS Case transferred to San Francisco office

March 2016: GC in hand (no interview)

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

That's crazy, and that's exactly what I hate about USCIS. They can do whatever they want, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Did you try to talk to a tier 2 officer?

I hope you hear from them soon! Good luck!

My lawyer is supposed to get in touch with them. Maybe when I see her this week we have some news... I am sure tired of this

*Forever&Always*​​

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My lawyer is supposed to get in touch with them. Maybe when I see her this week we have some news... I am sure tired of this

I wouldn't wait when your lawyer gets in touch with congressman... Do it on your own - it doesn't hurt anyway and sometimes it gives you more result. Also, I would check if your lawyer belongs to American Immigration Lawyers Association. If she does, the Association has its own resources to get information, so your lawyer should have already known what's going on with your case ... If she doesn't not - she can be ignored with her inquiries as well as any of us....

If congressman submitted an inquiry, the USCIS has to reply within 72 hours. Of course, not always they do this within 72 hours, but at least you will have the answer for sure..

There is nothing worse than sitting in the dark, with zero updates.. I understand your frustration.. Hope, everything will work for you and you will have some good news soon.. GOOD LUCK!!!

Edited by Vicha

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi everyone.

My situation has changed again, and not for the better.

We received ANOTHER request for initial evidence last week. We already sent a response yesterday, but I'm getting really frustrated. USCIS is not helpful at all when I call them, last time they gave me wrong information. Before I got the RFE letter (I only had the update online) I spoke to a tier 2 on the phone trying to find out what the RFE was about, so that I could get ready and send everything asap. The tier 2 told me that they didn't send an RFE and that it was a glitch in the system. Guess what, that wasn't true, 5 days later I had the letter in the mail.

But whatever, I can't change that now. What I want to know is if there is any possibility to at least get the EAD faster. I am just miserable sitting at the house all day, all I want is to be able to work.

So my question: Is there anything I could do at this point? Contact a congressman? Anything? Is there anu kind of EAD expedite for this type of situation?

It's been 2 months since the first RFE, and 4 months since i filed the application. I know it doesn't sound like a long time, but I feel like I'm gonna go crazy if I have to wait another 2 - 3 months to hear back. Plus I feel like I'm just gonna get more and more RFE's. Money is tight and I hate to see my wife working for both of us while I'm sitting around and can't do anything to help out financially.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing I can do... but it's worth asking. So if anyone has been in a similar situation, please let me know. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Sorry you have to be going through this. Must be frustrating but try and keep as calm as you can.

Make sure you address all they are asking for, u don't want to be going through this and delaying your benefits more.

I'm just wondering if it's a new RFE, or a part of the first they didn't received, why they RFE you again. Sad :(

Filed: Timeline

If you have a job offer, you can take this into a USCIS office or mail it to expedite the EAD card, I was considering doing this but then it finally arrived. Mine took about 1 month after they received the initial evidence but now my status for 485 is 'undeliverable' so currently having my own nightmare figuring this out.

Timeline

Beginning777 thanks for your kind words :) In the end that's all we can do, keep calm and patient.

Sorry to hear that V24. It's just always something with them... They don't make this easy for us. It's almost like they wanna crush us so we just go back home o.O

About the job offer: On the USCIS website (http://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria) I could not find anything about that. The only thing that's close to it is " Severe financial loss to company or ​person​;" and I have no idea what the criteria for that is. Doesn't seem like something that could work for me. I do have a job offer, but it's nothing special, just a retail job that I could start as soon as I get my work permit. But I don't think that counts to them.. Or does anyone else have more information about that kind of expedite?

• 8 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline
how long it take to hear the response of approval or denied after you send response to the RFE I received ?
how long it take to hear the response of approval or denied after you send response to the RFE I received ?
how long it take to hear the response of approval or denied after you send response to the RFE I received ?how long it take to hear the response of approval or denied after you send response to the RFE I received ?

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi fellow AOS applicants, 

This website has been a huge help for me and has helped me every step of the whole AOS journey. I recently got my EAD card approved after quite a few bumps on the way, so for those who are in the same boat, I want to share my experience so far.

Quick background: I am a Pakistani F-1 student on OPT. I applied for my adjustment of status through marriage to a US citizen while my STEM extension was still pending. Both EAD's have been approved. I filled out the application on my own and I had my company's immigration lawyer help me out with a few questions here and there. With the number of mistakes I have made in the whole process, despite all the help out here and from the lawyer, you wouldn't know I held a master's degree in anything :)

My timeline so far:

First Filing : 2017-05-02

First Rejection : 2017-05-04

Second Filing : 2017- 05-11

NOA : 2017-05-16

Bio. Appt. : 2017-06-13

RFE : 2017-06-15

RFE response received by MSC USCIS : 2017-06-21

EAD/AP approved : 2017-09-11 (82 days from RFE)

Some notes:

• My first application was rejected because I spelt Department as Departland (wtffff right?). When I received the notice, I freaked out and reviewed everything else and found a couple other things to change. I ended up refreshing all the documents just to be on the safe side and mailed them with the green rejection notice.
  • The RFE was for some tax documents and my birth certificate, both of which I had originally submitted. Whatever. I put them together, wrong an apology letter to the USCIS and mailed them again.
  • While I was waiting for this EAD, I also had a RFE for my OPT STEM extension (my employer's fault) so I was just dying waiting for updates from USCIS, so I totally understand what you are going through if you are waiting for updates :|
  • Does an RFE reset the 90-day period?
    This was a question I kept trying to find answers to online hoping what everyone kept saying wasn't true.
    Mine was definitely longer than 90 days from my initial filing, so the timeline was reset for sure. This is because the evidence that they requested was "initial" evidence.
    At the same time that this application was pending, I also had an OPT STEM Extension pending and received an RFE for that as well. This RFE was because my employer had given me the wrong E-Verify code. Because the E-Verify code isn't considered "initial" evidence, the 90 day timeline did not reset for this one. I submitted the new code for this 3 months after I got the RFE (on the day of the deadline), and I still got my EAD card for the OPT within a week of submitting the required evidence. This was well within their 90-day timeline.

During the whole time, I was able to work because I got a grace period for my STEM application. I freaked out the whole time. I didn't know if I would be able to go to work the next day. This is a truly stressful experience, especially if you don't have a bunch of savings or if your partner doesn't make enough to support both of you. For all those still in the process, good luck. There are definitely harder AOS categories to be in, especially right now.

I will be updating this as I get further along in the rest of the green card process. After reading this, I'm not sure if you want to trust me for my advice, but please feel free do ask!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 9/11/2015 at 0:27 AM, POM said:

Don't lose hope puffers!

Even though USCIS might tell you that EAD processing takes 90 days AFTER the RFE response has been received, the pattern seems to reflect that MOST applicants are still approved well before the 90 day mark.

If you take a look at my timeline, I got my approval in about 3 weeks after they notified me of the RFE response.

I hope your approval comes in a timely manner.

Keep us updated and stay strong. I wish you the best!

Hi POM,

I have a question, does your RFE state initial evidences as well?

i'm in a similar situation, please advise?

• 2 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 9/10/2015 at 9:16 PM, puffers said:

Thanks guys!

That timeline does help, gives me a little hope that it's not gonna be another 90 days.

But I guess all I can do is wait.

Hi, how long did it take you to get your AOS approved?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
On 9/10/2015 at 9:54 PM, puffers said:

Hi everyone,

I couldn't really find much about this and I'm getting really frustrated so I'm hoping to find some people who had the same problem I have. I applied for AOS/EAD in early June, got a NOA 1 with the receive date of June 10th, had my biometrics June 30th and in July, I got an RFE for my AOS (initial evidence). I sent the requested documents to USCIS and the update online says they received it July 31st.

In August (after 75 days) I put in a case inquiry (through the USCIS website) for my EAD, and I got a letter that says:

"Your case is within our current processing time. [...] Our systems show that we received your response to our RFE on your form I-485 on 7/31/2015. Your form I-765 will be processed within 90 days of the receipt of the requested evidence."

So basically, it can take until November... Now, I'm hoping to find people who had the same problem, and I'd like to know if there is anything I can do, like put in another case inquiry, or if I really just have to wait.

Thanks,

puffers

What was your RFE?  I just got told from my Congressman that i have an RFE however not sure what it is yet so im curious what they ask for

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.