h3lls1ay3r

Waiver for meeting requirement on form i129f

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country:
Timeline

I'm a natural born american citizen. I am however half syrian and did reside in syria from 1994 till 2001. I have asked my aunt in Syria to possibly seek a significant other for me. They introduced me to my cousin's sister in law and we have been talking for a couple of years. I was in jordan where I met my aunt and cousins and spent two weeks back in april of this year (2015). They came from syria (they have jordanian citizenship). However my now Fiance' is syrian and her and her family couldn't get approved for a visa to Jordan. Due to the unrest in Syria, I have no intentions of going there since americans are targeted by terrorist organizations currently existing there. Under those circumstances, would I be able to get a waiver for the requirement for us to meet in the past two years?

P.S: I can prove that I have met my family in Jordan and so can they. I can also prove that my fiance is my cousin's sister in law.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

No. You must have met within the last 2 years. No exceptions.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Timeline
  1. You and your fiancé(e):

a. Intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé's admission to United States and you are both free to marry; b. Have met in person within 2 years before filing this petition, unless you establish that either:

(1) The requirement to meet your fiancé(e) in person would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)'s foreign culture or social practice; or

(2) The requirement to meet your fiancé(e) in person would result in extreme hardship to you.

that's on the instruction page for the i129f form. there is obviously exceptions. I just needed to know if this fit the bill, which seemed like an obvious yes. But a definite no is not the right answer. That much I can see.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I'm a natural born american citizen. I am however half syrian and did reside in syria from 1994 till 2001. I have asked my aunt in Syria to possibly seek a significant other for me. They introduced me to my cousin's sister in law and we have been talking for a couple of years. I was in jordan where I met my aunt and cousins and spent two weeks back in april of this year (2015). They came from syria (they have jordanian citizenship). However my now Fiance' is syrian and her and her family couldn't get approved for a visa to Jordan. Due to the unrest in Syria, I have no intentions of going there since americans are targeted by terrorist organizations currently existing there. Under those circumstances, would I be able to get a waiver for the requirement for us to meet in the past two years?

P.S: I can prove that I have met my family in Jordan and so can they. I can also prove that my fiance is my cousin's sister in law.

Hello, your case is very similar to mine. My fiancee is from Syria and i asked about the waiver unfortunately i didn't receive any encouraging responses. So i decided to arrange a visit to Lebanon and my fiancee was able to meet us there. which part of Syria is she from?

Yes the wavier exists i just didn't want to take a chance, i don't know what my chance would be with it

Edited by SuperSaiyanVisa

K1 Visa Journey

I-129F Sent: August 28, 2015

I-129F Received: August 31st, 2015

NOA1 E-Notification: September 4th, 2015

NOA1 Hard Copy: September 8th, 2015

NOA2 E-Notification: September 28th, 2015

NOA2 Hard Copy: October 2nd, 2015

NVC received: October 22nd, 2015

NVC case#: October 23rd, 2015

At Embassy: November 2nd, 2015

Packet 3: November 4th, 2015

Medical: November 5th, 2015

Interview: November 19th, 2015

Immigrant AP: November 19th, 2015

Non-immigrant READY: December 8th, 2015

Non-immigrant AP: December 10th, 2015 (for 1min)

ISSUED: December 10th, 2015

POE: December 12th, 2015

Timeline

She's in Damascus. She could enter Lebanon. Actually that's about the only country nowadays that Syrians can enter legally without major difficulties. It seems quite redundant to have that exception within the instructions and yet never apply it, ESPECIALLY to someone who actually has Syrian heritage and did reside there for a significant period. @SuperSaiyanVisa (Kickass screen name btw haha), are you part Syrian as well?

Timeline

She's in Damascus. She could enter Lebanon. Actually that's about the only country nowadays that Syrians can enter legally without major difficulties. It seems quite redundant to have that exception within the instructions and yet never apply it, ESPECIALLY to someone who actually has Syrian heritage and did reside there for a significant period. @SuperSaiyanVisa (Kickass screen name btw haha), are you part Syrian as well?

people on visajourney scared me from applying the wavier. I'm a US born citizen to Syrian parents. My fiancee is also in Damascus.

It was very easy to set up the visit. I emailed her copies of my plane ticket and hotel booking (i booked her room with her name and her dads name) they printed those forms and on the Lebanese they showed them all the documents and had no problem entering. Basically the Lebanese just want proof that she isn't going to stay permanently in Lebanon. So packing light and showing hotel reservations for a few days puts her in the clear.

PM if you want more info

My case would tend to hurt your case of applying the wavier. Because Syrians are still meeting in Lebanon

Edited by SuperSaiyanVisa

K1 Visa Journey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I do not blame you, as I would not enter that part of the world either. But, I must agree with my fellow members, "you will have to meet face to face,".,.,.,and good luck to you as you live

in a very dangerous part of the world, be very careful, and always watch your surroundings.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Your heritage has little to do with eligibilty for a waiver.

The waiver is extremely difficult to obtain to protect both the petitioner and beneficiary against fraud or human trafficking.

If it is possible to meet in another country then I would suggest doing so. It's likely to save you a lot of time and effort. Plus, you have the additional benefit of actually meeting the person face to face.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I don't think it hurts to try though I must agree with the others: as you technically can meet in a third country I don't really see why a waiver would be successful unfortunately.

Timeline

So i just remembered the thought process i went thru when i decided to not use the waiver

1) Syria is unsafe, can you fly to Lebanon? ummm yea i guess

2) can she drive to Lebanon? NO ITS NOT SAFE..........well then if we approve the petition you know there isn't an open embassy is Syria and she will have to go to Lebanon. So mentioning the she cannot leave Syria might get you rejected because of that; she wouldn't be able to interview anywhere

3) ok its actually reasonable for her to go to Lebanon.. Then you have 'no' problem meeting.

K1 Visa Journey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
  1. You and your fiancé(e):

a. Intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé's admission to United States and you are both free to marry; b. Have met in person within 2 years before filing this petition, unless you establish that either:

(1) The requirement to meet your fiancé(e) in person would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)'s foreign culture or social practice; or

(2) The requirement to meet your fiancé(e) in person would result in extreme hardship to you.

that's on the instruction page for the i129f form. there is obviously exceptions. I just needed to know if this fit the bill, which seemed like an obvious yes. But a definite no is not the right answer. That much I can see.

See the issue you have of a possible denial is you can still meet elsewhere. Many who apply for a waiver and get approved (yes rare but have seen it I believe 3 times on VJ) is because usually the petitioner can not travel. The beneficiary can't get a visitor visa to US to meet and since petitioner can't travel a alternate place will not work.

As stated here there are other places for you two to meet. So just do that quickly and file as soon as you can.

Wishing you all the best.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Thank you all for the feedback. After many conversations including this thread, I have decided to set up a meeting in Lebanon. Technically we have met face to face in my sister's wedding, however no interaction took place back then haha. I'm also concerned about the fact that the entire election coming up seems to have become defined by immigration laws and the idea of reforming it. Last few reforms in any case I've seen, the latest being obamacare have all turned out to make things worse. So I'm trying to beat that clock considering most people are saying it's taking at least 10 months to God knows how long for the whole process.

Edited by h3lls1ay3r

Timeline

So i just remembered the thought process i went thru when i decided to not use the waiver

1) Syria is unsafe, can you fly to Lebanon? ummm yea i guess

2) can she drive to Lebanon? NO ITS NOT SAFE..........well then if we approve the petition you know there isn't an open embassy is Syria and she will have to go to Lebanon. So mentioning the she cannot leave Syria might get you rejected because of that; she wouldn't be able to interview anywhere

3) ok its actually reasonable for her to go to Lebanon.. Then you have 'no' problem meeting.

That actually was a very well thawed thought process that has successfully turned everything I was thinking on it's head. Touche sir!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.