hero-song

Nervous (more like terrified) of getting the K-1 Visa wrong, please help

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I didn't on my petition and it wasn't an issue but better safe than sorry I suppose

Thanks for the info.. I wasted money mailing it to fiance for signatures..smh.. anyway..Thanks!

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks for the info.. I wasted money mailing it to fiance for signatures..smh.. anyway..Thanks!

No you did not. their process differs so much. you might have gotten an RFE for it so you did good:)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

No you did not. their process differs so much. you might have gotten an RFE for it so you did good:)

He mailed it to have the I-129 signed which she doesn't have to sign as the beneficiary.

OP.....wet signatures are best for the letter of intent so make sure you both state on your letter that you intend to marry within 90 days

of arrival.

g325a must be wet ink, original signature, not scanned.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

He mailed it to have the I-129 signed which she doesn't have to sign as the beneficiary.

OP.....wet signatures are best for the letter of intent so make sure you both state on your letter that you intend to marry within 90 days

of arrival.

g325a must be wet ink, original signature, not scanned.

Best to take heed to the experts. I am still learning myself. thanks Ebunoluwa for clearing that up. the last thing I want to do is misinform. I was only stating that Me personally did not have the wet ink on my forms and never got them returned or RFE. but as we all know things are missed and I may have just been the one that got away. thanks again.:)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for the responses so far everyone! I know some of my concerns are silly, but it means a lot.

Yes, I suppose I'm just willing to pay someone to look over my stuff because I'm scared that I'll f**k something up and if I don't have someone look over everything, we'll be rejected. But thank you all for the *free* advice!

She has to sign the G-25a, that was a typo in my post. We'll find a way for her to send me the G-25a and letter of intent through the postal service since it can't be a scanned copy with her signature.

I suppose one of my main concerns now is that some of the documents seem extremely complicated, convoluted, and precise, while others seem too ......easy. For example, our letter of intents are really just a few sentences long. I feel like they should be longer or have more info, but they essentially just say "I'm gonna get married". Is that normal?

Also, the way we met isn't interesting at all and can just be summed up in a few words: We met online. Do I need to make a long detailed story out of it? I messaged her, and we started talking. I'm afraid they'll look at that and start questioning it for some reason.

Thanks all

Okay, then yes, the G-325A and letter of intent needs to be signed by her. And yes, the statement is all you need for the letters of intent. It comes from the instructions. Be sure to read through the instructions carefully before filing >

Page 5 of the instructions: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf >

7. If Filing for Your Fiancé(e) (K-1), What Documents Do you Need to Prove That Your Fiancé(e) Is Eligible for

K-1 Classification and That You Both Can Legally Marry?

b. Submit evidence that you and your fiancé(e) intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e)'s entry as a K-1.

Evidence of your intention to marry may include a statement of intent to marry.

These samples work perfectly >

(Date Here)

To Whom It May Concern,

I, (USC petitioner’s name), do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry (foreign fiance(e)’s name), and intend to so within 90 days of (his/her) entrance into the US by way of a K-1 visa.

(Sign Here)

(Print Name Here)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Date Here)

To Whom It May Concern,

I, (foreign fiance(e)’s name), do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry (USC petitioner’s name), and intend to so within 90 days of my entrance into the US by way of a K-1 visa.

(Sign Here)

(Print Name Here)

As for stating you met online, lately they have been sending RFEs for people that just simply state that. They want to know what website you met on so they know whether or not the site was an IMB(International Marriage Broker). If you specify a site that is some type of dating site, you should provide the website's TOS showing that they are not an IMB. If you did meet via an IMB, then read through the I-129F instructions for what documentation you need to provide because of that.

You also need to state more than just how you initially met. The point of the question is to state how and where you met in person within the 2 years prior to filing. That is how you need to answer #34a. For example, "I flew to [city], Colombia on [date] and visited with [foreign fiance(e)'s name] for [amount of days]." You back that up with copies of your passport stamps, boarding passes, hotel/ATM receipts, credit card/bank statements showing purchases while there or for the plane tickets or hotel stays. Add in a few photos of the two of you together as secondary evidence. Some together with friends and family are good to show, if you have any.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello,

2) The I-129, I had my fiancée complete it with me via Skype. After completion, I emailed it to her, she signed it, scanned it, and emailed it back to me so I could print it. Is this acceptable if the signature is scanned? This goes same with the fiancée letter of intent. Or does she have to mail everything to me?

Just a FYI: while many here say go with original signature, there are a ton of us who used scanned copies and not originals w/no problems. There have been reports of RFEs for non-originals, but it's been over a year since that has happened. And a RFE is just a request for evidence, not a rejection.

We all have different levels of risk aversion. I don't know what the postal service is like in Colombia, but it was pretty lousy in Indonesia, and we didn't want to pay for FedEx/DHL/etc because we're cheap, so my then-fiancee and I decided to stick with scans. Worked out for us w/no problems.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

****HOW WE MET**** on question 34a I wrote on a separate piece of paper that we met online then in person later. They sent us an RFE notice because we did not explain enough. I had to resend it, because they wanted a better explanation so I sent - "we met online on facebook then connected on skype that same day and have been conversing ever since". So if you are going to say online please state exactly what site or they will think a marriage broker.

Also my letter of intent was 2 sentences long. It is my intention to marry my fiancé,-----------------within 90 days ----------

You will find all the answers you need here for free just read carefully. We just got our MNL# today and I am as nervous as you too. So just BREATH

Timeline

Hello,

I've been going through the K-1 visa requirements on this site before sending in the application. Even with the great guide, I'm very nervous because I don't want to my fiancée to be rejected for the visa. Is there anyone, either professional or with enough experience that can help me go over everything this week before I mail the documents and pay the fee to the right place? I'd be happy to pay someone here through Paypal for help or talk with you on Skype and show you everything I have!

If anybody could answer a few questions for me now:

1) The dumbest question possible that I'm still unsure of the answer: Where to send everything? Is it just to the nearest UCIS office? Or is it a specific office? I live in Columbus, Ohio.

2) The I-129, I had my fiancée complete it with me via Skype. After completion, I emailed it to her, she signed it, scanned it, and emailed it back to me so I could print it. Is this acceptable if the signature is scanned? This goes same with the fiancée letter of intent. Or does she have to mail everything to me?

Again, I would love to talk with someone about my application package. I'd be happy to compensate you via Paypal for your time, as I am absolutely terrified of getting this all wrong if I don't have someone double-check my work!

Thanks

Timeline

First off just go to USCIS and print out the I-129F and the G325A applications along with their instructions... The Instructions explain exactly what USCIS want and expect from you..

Second, you as the petitioner needs to sign the I-129F application not the beneficirary..

I had my fiancee sign the letter of intent and the G325A with original document not scanned

Good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

i had an attorney do everything for me and she sent in a fax copy of my fiance signature, not original. now im scared too, but she is an immigration attorney, she should know what she's doing

Timeline

No one here would take any money for helping you, as that is not what this site is about, people here are here to help you, just ask your questions as I have read above all your questions were

answered, by more than one poster.

We are here to help you, just ask.

Timeline

I would omit the part about meeting on-line... a few sentences explaining how and when the two of you met in person should suffice.

I would absolutely not omit that they met online. They would risk their case being denied under misrepresentation.

I would absolutely not omit that they met online. They would risk their case being denied under misrepresentation.

It is not required to disclose how they originally met, whether online or otherwise, for the I-129F petition. They only need to disclose how they met in person within the last 2 years.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

They would not be denied for misrep for leaving out the part about initially coming into contact online. Can you show me an immigration law or policy that states that would qualify for misrepresentation and a denial?

#34 asks if you met in person within the 2 years prior to filing, and then #34a asks you to describe the circumstances of the personal meeting(s) within those 2 years.

#35 asks if you met through an IMB, and #35a asks you to provide detailed info about the IMB if you answered yes.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi again everyone,

I can't thank you all enough for the great advice I've gotten! I feel more confident about the process now because of this forum!

Okay, so I've decided that I will definitely get wet signatures from my fiancée, as opposed to printing off a scanned copy. I'm sending everything that she needs to sign on Monday or Tuesday. If I may ask another stupid question:

I'd just like to make sure that I'm not missing anything. I'm going to send her the Letter of Intent to sign, the G-325A. Does she need anything else to sign and get back to me?

I'm also sending a self-addressed envelope that she'll send the Letter of Intent and G-325A back to me in along with copies of her boarding pass, passport photos, copy of her birth certificate, receipts, photos, and other proof of our relationship. Does she need to include anything else to send to me for the package?

Thanks again. I hope I get this right!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.