SM84

Evaluating Foreign Degrees

9 posts in this topic

Hi All,

It has been a month since I've been in the US and I was advised that my foreign degrees need to be evaluated if I need to start applying for or to get a job.

I would like to know if anyone who has been in the same situation as me had to have their degrees evaluated and what service provider they have used to get the degree evaluated.

Also, is it mandatory or necessary to have the degree evaluated?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The Employer/School would normally specify who they want you to use.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You only have it evaluated IF the employer requires it.

My husband used WES when he had his degree evaluated.

Other employers will hire the services of a third party company to do the evaluation for them. This will include your previous employments, education degrees, and background check.

In short, it's not mandatory for every job that you will apply for but its a good thing to have your transcript of records and diploma on file.

You only have it evaluated IF the employer requires it.

My husband used WES when he had his degree evaluated.

Other employers will hire the services of a third party company to do the evaluation for them. This will include your previous employments, education degrees, and background check.

In short, it's not mandatory for every job that you will apply for but its a good thing to have your transcript of records and diploma on file.

Good response. My husband had his evaluated via the background check his employer did.

If you got your degree at a well known university an evaluation may not even be required.

Bear in mind a number of other countries have three-year bachelor degrees which sometimes causes a problem as they are not seen as equivalent to a four year degree here. But as the OP said "degrees" I assume s/he has postgrad which should offset that concern.

Edited by SusieQQQ

I had my degrees evaluated after I had received my contingent job offer, there's no rush to do it before as other posters have said that not all employers will require it, and those that do may want to choose a specific one, so no need to waste your money.

What I have done is tried to provide some explanations on my resume about my qualifications, e.g. I am a Chartered Accountant, so I noted that it was similar to the CPA, in case the person looking at my resume is not familiar with it. In general, avoid the use of a lot of abbreviations and acronyms to reduce any potential confusion.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It does make a difference what field your degree is in. My brother married an RN from the Czech Republic. The US did not consider her an RN here, so she had to take extra US college courses to become an RN here. Not starting over, but building on what she already had.

K-1 Application sent 2-16-16

Received at Dallas lockbox 2-18-16

NOA1, sent to California 2-23-16

NOA2 4-21-16

NVC shipped to Manila 5-12-16

Consulate received 5-16-16

US Embassy Interview -- APPROVED!!! 8-24-16 :dancing: :joy: :dancing:

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

hi evryone,im spouse of Lpr & in near future will come to USA..im from asia nd having only high school certificate nd gonna be 30after 2 years...do u think i can get admition in any college??..plz let me knw...tnx in advance..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Shishirbindu, I looked online and found a site you might be interested in.

http://international.collegeboard.org/study-in-the-us/apply

I'm sure you can enroll in college in the US. Some colleges are difficult to get admitted while others are much easier. But some of the advice on that page says

International students beginning to apply to U.S. universities may become easily overwhelmed, but focusing on the steps below will make the process less daunting for you.

1. Start the application process early and narrow your search to three to five schools.
  2. Contact the international student advisor at each university. Introduce yourself, explain that you’re getting ready to apply, and ask any questions you have about their specific application process.
  3. Read and re-read the application requirements, as each university is different. Be sure to provide official documents when requested.
  4. If you are deciding between different schools, ask the international student advisor for a contact of a student from your same country already at the university so you can get their perspective.
  5. Most importantly, always research your options, ask a lot of questions and make connections!

K-1 Application sent 2-16-16

Received at Dallas lockbox 2-18-16

NOA1, sent to California 2-23-16

NOA2 4-21-16

NVC shipped to Manila 5-12-16

Consulate received 5-16-16

US Embassy Interview -- APPROVED!!! 8-24-16 :dancing: :joy: :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.