elephanzo

?more visa fees after k-1 sent to his country's embassy? ds-160?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey guys... I'm a bit confused.

So we have already received our NO2 and today I received an email from the embassy in Sydney Australia about my fiance needing to go to a website and create an account and then email them back. The email says this...

Dear K Visa Petitioner,

The U.S. Consulate General in Sydney has received your approved petition. Please have your fiancée create a profile via (...) and email our office at (...) In the email they must advise the following information:

Name:

Case number:

Email address:

Phone number:

Passport Number:

DS-160 confirmation number:

The thing I am confused about is that there is is nothing mentioning this step or the ds-160 on the k-1 flowchat. In order to get the ds-160 confirmation number my fiance has to fill out the ds-160 online and submit $265. I didn't know that for a k-1 you had to fill out a DS-160.

I thought when we mailed in the whole k-1 application to the dallas lock box facility that THAT was his application. Now he has to pay again? I know we have to pay like another $1000ish fee for an AOS but I never read anything about having to pay for another step like this. Is this just a step for Australians? We are confused. Any help would be appreciated. My apologies for any ignorance on my behalf. Thanks.

Edited by elephanzo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi the $300+ you paid to USCIS was only for the application for the K1 visa, you still have to pay for the Visa fee and also for the medical fee. Unfortunately one of the downside for the K1 visa is a payment for the AOS fee of $1000+. Check the US embassy website for your beneficiary to see what is needed. Also this is the website where your fiancé needs to fill out the online ds160 form https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/

Edited by ekl3s1a

Timeline

Hi the $300+ you paid to USCIS was only for the application for the K1 visa, you still have to pay for the Visa fee and also for the medical fee. Unfortunately one of the downside for the K1 visa is a payment for the AOS fee of $1000+. Check the US embassy website for your beneficiary to see what is needed.

Hey, thank you for your response! Alright then, now I know that there is still the visa fee and a medical fee. But I am still confused that the ds-160 form must be completed for a k-1 when its not listed on the k-1 flow chart or mentioned anywhere it seems like. Is this step normal?

Timeline

Hey, thank you for your response! Alright then, now I know that there is still the visa fee and a medical fee. But I am still confused that the ds-160 form must be completed for a k-1 when its not listed on the k-1 flow chart or mentioned anywhere it seems like. Is this step normal?

Yes that step is normal, I just edited my reply but this is the website you need to fill out the ds160 form https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/. I'm not familiar with the steps for the Australian embassy process but there should be a guide here in VJ. Here's the guide I used for mine though its for the Philippines embassy but some of the steps should be the same. This is Greenbaum's guide by the way: http://tinyurl.com/ob9xoa8

Timeline

So we have already received our NO2 and today I received an email from the embassy in Sydney Australia about my fiance needing to go to a website and create an account and then email them back. The email says this...

Dear K Visa Petitioner,

The U.S. Consulate General in Sydney has received your approved petition. Please have your fiancée create a profile via (...) and email our office at (...) In the email they must advise the following information:

Name:

Case number:

Email address:

Phone number:

Passport Number:

The thing I am confused about is that there is is nothing mentioning this step or the ds-160 on the k-1 flowchat. In order to get the ds-160 confirmation number my fiance has to fill out the ds-160 online and submit $265. I didn't know that for a k-1 you had to fill out a DS-160.

I thought when we mailed in the whole k-1 application to the dallas lock box facility that THAT was his application. Now he has to pay again? I know we have to pay like another $1000ish fee for an AOS but I never read anything about having to pay for another step like this. Is this just a step for Australians? We are confused. Any help would be appreciated. My apologies for any ignorance on my behalf. Thanks.

To clarify what the others are trying to say, the original petition is just that, you are petitioning the U.S. government to allow your fiancee to apply for the visa.

The DS-160 is the actual K1 visa application.

If you look at step 9 of the flow chart and just to the right of that there's "The downloads section for K-1 Visa's has a list of some forms the fiance(e) will need. You can practice with these forms." The downloads section is a link to all the forms...at this point all that is required is the DS-160 and 134

I won't disagree if you were to say it could be laid out a little better....

Edited by Shauneg

Okay, the I-129F was a petition, not an application. It was, essentially, the USC asking for the permission for you to be able to apply for a visa. The DS-160 is a non-immigrant visa application and has the visa application fee. It's the same for everyone. I don't remember the flowchart off the top of my head but perhaps it mentions a DS-156 or visa application?

Semantics, being what they are, are important as it tells you what stage you are on exactly.

Do not let the non-immigrant part fool you by the way. The K1 visa is a non-immigrant visa with immigration intent. It allows you to legally adjust your status after entry (and marriage within the USA.) Unlike the IR1/CR1 which is an immigrant visa and grants a green card upon entry.

So the steps are normal and everyone worldwide must to them

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

thank you all for your responses! i don't know what i would do without visajourney and all of the lovely people who take the time to respond to my questions

Timeline

Unfortunately yes it is a step in the process. I didn't know about it either, I thought we just paid at the beginning but yup...more money for a piece of paper.

You can fill out your ds 160 yourself if you like , that's what I did.

Dear K Visa Petitioner,

Name:

Case number:

Email address:

Phone number:

Passport Number:

K1-K2 VISA
FEBRUARY 2015 APPLIED FOR I-129F K1-K2
RECIEVED NOA1
AUGUST 2015 RECIEVED NOA2
SEPTEMBER 2015 SENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE
RECIEVED SYDNEY CASE NUMBER
CASE SENT TO THE SYDNEY EMBASSY
SEPTEMBER 2015 COMPLETED DS-160 K1-K2
OCTOBER 2015 MEDICAL COMPLETED
INTERVIEW - APPROVED
VISA ISSUED

DECEMBER 2015 ARRIVED INTO THE USA POA DALLAS TX 26TH DECEMBER
JANUARY 2016 MARRIED 29TH JANUARY
FEBRUARY 2016 SSN CARD RECIEVED

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS
MARCH 2016 SENT AOS PACKAGE K1-K2 21ST MARCH                                                       JUNE 2016 RECIEVED GREEN CARD K1-K2 11TH JUNE
ARRIVED AT THE CHICAGO LOCKBAG FACILITY 23RD MARCH

APRIL 2016 RECIEVED NOA 1 FOR AOS/EAD/AP 5TH APRIL
RECIEVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENTS 30TH APRIL
MAY 2016 BIOMETRICS TAKEN 10TH MAY

AP/EAD APPROVED K1 13TH MAY

COMBO CARD ARRIVED 21ST MAY

JUNE 2016 APPROVED AOS (NO INTERVIEW) K1-K2 3RD JUNE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The USCIS does not issue visas. You are only filing a petition (and paying the USCIS form filing fee), that if approved will make your foreign fiance(e) eligible to apply for a K-1 visa at the US consulate abroad in their country. That is the Dept. of State, and the DoS website has info about the K-1 visa process, including the DoS visa processing fees > http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/family/fiance-k-1.html

Won't disagree with the guides here in need of being laid out better/more clearly/user friendly.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.