MouadsWife

I-130 or the N-600K? Which one? Filing to bring children and wife to U.S.

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok. My friend is filing to bring his two minor children and wife to United States. His is now a United States Citizen. I keep saying he needs to file the I-130. He is being told to file the N-600K. I STILL say file the I-130. Can someone tell me which form it is that he should file under? Going bonkers. :blink: Thanks!

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Probably the I 130, has he recently naturalised?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yes. He received his citizenship two months ago. I have reviewed both forms and I do not see a major difference. It seems to me the I-130 is the most straight forward.

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: Timeline

Since you say they are coming to live in the US, I-130 and immigrant visa is the right way.

I-130 and immigrant visa if they plan to *immigrate* to the US (i.e. they will live in the US afterwards). The N-600K process if they plan to continue to reside outside the US afterwards. In the N-600K process, the child has to come to the US using some nonimmigrant visa to attend the oath ceremony, and only then do they get US citizenship. Usually this is done with a B2 visitor visa. But B2 visitor visa (and most other types of nonimmigrant visas) requires that they do not intend to immigrate (i.e. they must plan to return to reside the home country). In this case they do intend to immigrate. Therefore, their B2 visa will be denied and they cannot come to the US to get their citizenship.

Edited by newacct

Timeline

Ok, So I read your post 4 times, and what I'm understanding is even if you do the N-600K process, they will not be gauranteed the visa and can be denied. Correct? I am honestly not sure if they plan on staying permanently. I do know his family live in Italy, (he is Moroccan), and his wife comes and goes. But with the I-130 they can stil go back to Italy to visit within guidelines I presume, whatever they are.

So, I-130 is still the best way to go? Two children, one wife, and each will need their own I-130 form and filing fee. Geeze this is worse than filing K1.

Timeline

Ok, thank you very much. And if I may, just one more question. It is the I-130 for EACH child and wife? There is not a form that covers the whole family? In other words, one form that covers all three individuals?

They're immediate relative petitions, so one petition per person. Wife and two children = three I-130s.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

You can not use the N-600k since your children do not have a claim to US citizenship. Although you are a U.S. citizen, your children do not simply acquire US citizenship because you are one. Your children must meet certain requirements under the Child Citizenship Act to acquire US citizenship.

The correct path is the I-130, then an immigration visa, then LPR status, and finally automatic US citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act.

Separate I-130 for each. There is no way to petition them together on one petition.

Best of luck

Hi,

You can not use the N-600k since your children do not have a claim to US citizenship. Although you are a U.S. citizen, your children do not simply acquire US citizenship because you are one. Your children must meet certain requirements under the Child Citizenship Act to acquire US citizenship.

The N-600K process is a naturalization process for children of US citizens residing abroad, who are not US citizens, to become US citizens.

Timeline

The N-600K process is a naturalization process for children of US citizens residing abroad, who are not US citizens, to become US citizens.

You just blew my mind with this one. What Aaron2020 said sounded great, then I read your post, and then got scrambled again. lol He recently got his citizenship. so he is a United States citizen, his children residing abroad in Italy and they are not US citizens, and they want to become citizens. So what your saying is the N-600K applies also. I'm sorry if I'm confused.

You just blew my mind with this one. What Aaron2020 said sounded great, then I read your post, and then got scrambled again. lol He recently got his citizenship. so he is a United States citizen, his children residing abroad in Italy and they are not US citizens, and they want to become citizens. So what your saying is the N-600K applies also. I'm sorry if I'm confused.

Yes, it's meant for them -- if they are not relocating to the United States.

There is already a process for them to become US citizens if they are moving to the US -- I-130 and immigrant visa, by which they will become permanent residents on entering, and also immediately become citizens because they are living with a US citizen parent in the US.

The N-600K process cannot practically be used by children who are relocating to the US because there is in most cases no nonimmigrant visa that they qualify for to complete the process, since most nonimmigrant visas (except perhaps H-4 or L-2, if they have a parent on H-1b or L-1) require no immigrant intent.

Edited by newacct

Timeline

Okay, thanks so much everyone for clarifying my mass confusion!!!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Proof of U.S. Citizenship of Qualifying Parent or Grandparent. Examples of this are a U.S. birth certificate; Form N-550, Certificate of Naturalization; Form N-560 Certificate of Citizenship; Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of United States Citizen; or a valid unexpired U.S. passport.

NOTE: A passport must have been issued prior to your birth if it is being provided as proof of U.S. citizenship. You must provide additional documents including birth certificate or naturalization certificate as evidence that your parent was a U.S. citizen at the time of your birth if the passport was issued after your birth.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-600kinstr.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Edited by bdawn

Marriage (if applicable): 2007-09-08

I-130 sent: 2008-08-05

I-130 approved: 2009-04-08

Case Completed at NVC: 2009-04-08

IR-1 Visa Received: 2011-01-21

US Entry: 2011-01-29

SS card received: 02-26-2011

10 years GC Received: 03/10/2011

Citizenship eligibility Criteria: 3 years

10-31-2013: Eligibility Date

02-07-2014: Application Sent

02-11-2014: Application Received

02-11-2014: Priority Date

02-18-2014: NOA Received

02-20-2014: Bio-metric Letter sent Date

03-11-2014: Bio-metric Date

03-13-2014: In-line for Interview

04-10-2014: Interview Letter Sent Date

05-20-2014: Interview Date

06-19-2014: Oath Ceremony

06-21-2014: Applied for U.S passport Book (expedite-$60)

06-23-2014: Passport Application received

06-26-2014: Passport Completed processing and mailed

06-27-2014: Passport Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.