Kosmoleo

A little help totaling up the K1 costs please...?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Ok, so my fiance, who lives in Thailand, and I are preparing to file the I-129F soon and we are working together to try and total up all the major costs of the whole entire K1 visa process from start to finish. We have friends, a married couple, who also just went through the whole process successfully, from Thailand, and I have also been browsing through the K1 guides and flowchart here on visajourney. I'm going to present here a cost list of everything I have so far. Could anybody in here who has also gone through the whole process successfully please take a moment to review what I have here and offer any helpful comments, advice and information you might have to share based on your experiences with the process...? We mainly want to know if we are missing any major costs here in our considerations, so that we can end up right now with a very complete and reliable list of all the costs and can know what to expect the total amount for the whole process to end up being before we submit our initial petition and get the whole process started. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice and information you all can share with us to help us begin our visa journey with security and confidence. Here is what I have so far....

* I-129F fee: $340

* Misc. K1 prep fees (med exam,

background check, etc, based on

info from our fiends for the K1 beneficiary's

expenses to prepare for the K1 applicatiion): $1200

* K1 visa fee: $265

* I-485 AOS fee: $1070

* Plane ticket Thailand to the US: $1100

* I-693 (No med exam required if I-485 is

filed within 1 year of fiance's exam overseas): $0

* Total: $3975

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice and information you all can share with us to help us begin our visa journey with security and confidence. Here is what I have so far....

expenses to prepare for the K1 applicatiion): $1200 ???? Yes the medical costs (depends on the country) but all the other prep fees are zero if you do it yourself. And there is no extra background fee,, that's part of the 129f processing.

filed within 1 year of fiance's exam overseas): $0 Most CS's charge to transcribe the vaccination info from the DS-3025 form to the 693 form....ours charged $200. Shop around at CS offices in your area...find them from the USCIS website.

You're not even close to the true number; you neglected some of the items below:

New Car

Clothes

Education

Travel

Bedroom remodelling

Kitchen remodelling

Bathroom remodelling

Landscaping

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Thanks baron for the helpful input, here's some comments with regard to your reply.....

* Kitchen, bath, bed, remodeling...?

We don't own a house and we will be renting a house so we will not have any of those remodeling costs you mentioned until quite a bit later .

* Travel....?

If you mean my fiance's travel costs in preparing for the K1 interview, etc, that is part of the above mentioned $1200, and as you can see the plane ticket is already included on top of that as well. If you mean traveling around the city or state etc when she is here, for the k1 and AOS processes, I already live in a major city as well as near the relevant places so that cost will be quite minimal by comparison to the other major costs.

Clothes...?

She has quite a few good clothes to bring with her and what little she may need is not expensive if you know where and how to shop.

* Education....?

She already speaks excellent English, in fact she teaches it too. In addition she is already certified in several kinds of massage, has been a receptionist for the Coca Cola company and is also a superb chef, so she already brings with her great intelligence and a host of well established good job shills. I don't think we will have much in the way of education costs.

* New car...?

Yes we know she will need her own car once we get her a driver's license. But we will start with a good used one for now and new will come later at the right time.

* Landscaping....????

Sorry, we don't really know what you mean by saying we will have landscaping costs, especially since as I said we don't own a house. Could you please explain what you meant by that one....?

Also I have done some more research on forms DS-3025 and 693 and this is what I discovered on a faq post right here in this very forum:

" If the beneficiary's vaccinations were COMPLETED as part of the visa process, IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO INCLUDE FORM I-693 IN THE AOS SUBMISSION. All your medical information is enclosed in the brown envelope which was handed in at the POE. The envelope is then forwarded on to USCIS where it will be consolidated with the I-485 submission, once received. If you received a copy of the Vaccination Documentation Worksheet (Form DS-3025) from your Panel Physician, you may include a copy of that form in your AOS submission in place of Form I-693. "

So it seems we won't have to pay any CS to transcribe to 693 at all if the above is true, though I'm sure we will include a copy of the DS-3025 in our AOS submission package just to be safe.

So, we have been working on it some more and this is where we are at now....

* $3975 Above total so far

* $1200 Food and personal living expenses to support my fiance until she can get authorized to work and we can become a two income household... $200 / month x 6mos

*$5175

We are still working on figuring out health care insurance for her and it's costs and I will post an update here when we have it. Does anyone else have any more helpful advice or experience on the costs of the k1 process to share.....?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Ok, so my fiance, who lives in Thailand, and I are preparing to file the I-129F soon and we are working together to try and total up all the major costs of the whole entire K1 visa process from start to finish. We have friends, a married couple, who also just went through the whole process successfully, from Thailand, and I have also been browsing through the K1 guides and flowchart here on visajourney. I'm going to present here a cost list of everything I have so far. Could anybody in here who has also gone through the whole process successfully please take a moment to review what I have here and offer any helpful comments, advice and information you might have to share based on your experiences with the process...? We mainly want to know if we are missing any major costs here in our considerations, so that we can end up right now with a very complete and reliable list of all the costs and can know what to expect the total amount for the whole process to end up being before we submit our initial petition and get the whole process started. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice and information you all can share with us to help us begin our visa journey with security and confidence. Here is what I have so far....

expenses to prepare for the K1 applicatiion): $1200

filed within 1 year of fiance's exam overseas): $0

I think misc fee can be cut in 1/2.

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks baron for the helpful input, here's some comments with regard to your reply.....

* Kitchen, bath, bed, remodeling...?

We don't own a house and we will be renting a house so we will not have any of those remodeling costs you mentioned until quite a bit later .

* Travel....?

If you mean my fiance's travel costs in preparing for the K1 interview, etc, that is part of the above mentioned $1200, and as you can see the plane ticket is already included on top of that as well. If you mean traveling around the city or state etc when she is here, for the k1 and AOS processes, I already live in a major city as well as near the relevant places so that cost will be quite minimal by comparison to the other major costs.

Clothes...?

She has quite a few good clothes to bring with her and what little she may need is not expensive if you know where and how to shop.

* Education....?

She already speaks excellent English, in fact she teaches it too. In addition she is already certified in several kinds of massage, has been a receptionist for the Coca Cola company and is also a superb chef, so she already brings with her great intelligence and a host of well established good job shills. I don't think we will have much in the way of education costs.

* New car...?

Yes we know she will need her own car once we get her a driver's license. But we will start with a good used one for now and new will come later at the right time.

* Landscaping....????

Sorry, we don't really know what you mean by saying we will have landscaping costs, especially since as I said we don't own a house. Could you please explain what you meant by that one....?

Also I have done some more research on forms DS-3025 and 693 and this is what I discovered on a faq post right here in this very forum:

" If the beneficiary's vaccinations were COMPLETED as part of the visa process, IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO INCLUDE FORM I-693 IN THE AOS SUBMISSION. All your medical information is enclosed in the brown envelope which was handed in at the POE. The envelope is then forwarded on to USCIS where it will be consolidated with the I-485 submission, once received. If you received a copy of the Vaccination Documentation Worksheet (Form DS-3025) from your Panel Physician, you may include a copy of that form in your AOS submission in place of Form I-693. "

So it seems we won't have to pay any CS to transcribe to 693 at all if the above is true, though I'm sure we will include a copy of the DS-3025 in our AOS submission package just to be safe.

So, we have been working on it some more and this is where we are at now....

* $3975 Above total so far

* $1200 Food and personal living expenses to support my fiance until she can get authorized to work and we can become a two income household... $200 / month x 6mos

*$5175

We are still working on figuring out health care insurance for her and it's costs and I will post an update here when we have it. Does anyone else have any more helpful advice or experience on the costs of the k1 process to share.....?

A lot of those 'fees' are silly and have nothing to do with the actual immigration. I would focus on what you personally need to spend for the whole immigration process.

You are correct about the I-693 medical and vaccinations for AOS. If you have all the required vaccinations marked off on a properly filled out DS-2035, then no need for a civil surgeon at all. > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/551080-immunizations-ds-3025-or-i-693/

Also, there will be Removal of Conditions(ROC) about 2 years after AOS. That fee is currently $590.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

A lot of those 'fees' are silly and have nothing to do with the actual immigration. I would focus on what you personally need to spend for the whole immigration process.

You are correct about the I-693 medical and vaccinations for AOS. If you have all the required vaccinations marked off on a properly filled out DS-2035, then no need for a civil surgeon at all. > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/551080-immunizations-ds-3025-or-i-693/

Also, there will be Removal of Conditions(ROC) about 2 years after AOS. That fee is currently $590.

Thanks a lot for that helpful info KayDeeCee, we did not know about that ROC fee until just now. Glad to know we have two years before needing to pay that one.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks a lot for that helpful info KayDeeCee, we did not know about that ROC fee until just now. Glad to know we have two years before needing to pay that one.

You are welcome. It is nice to get that 2 year break to enjoy your married life together before delving back into the wonderful world of the USCIS paperwork overloads.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

There's more beyond ROC. Study up and Read the Guides.

Landscaping is buying flowers and redoing the bushes but since you're renting, it's a moot point.

What about pet costs?

Foreign relationships and immigration to the US is very expensive.

There's more beyond ROC. Study up and Read the Guides.

Landscaping is buying flowers and redoing the bushes but since you're renting, it's a moot point.

What about pet costs?

Foreign relationships and immigration to the US is very expensive.

Pet costs...no pets, no cost. Any other major costs (ie $2-300 or more each) you can think of that we should be aware of...? We are mainly concerned with any individual costs of that size that may come up between now and the moment of our 2 year conditional AOS being approved that we may have missed so far. Anybody else aware of any major individual costs we may be missing between the 129F submission and the AOS approval...?

Timeline

Pet costs...no pets, no cost. Any other major costs (ie $2-300 or more each) you can think of that we should be aware of...? We are mainly concerned with any individual costs of that size that may come up between now and the moment of our 2 year conditional AOS being approved that we may have missed so far. Anybody else aware of any major individual costs we may be missing between the 129F submission and the AOS approval...?

OK, then you may have everything covered.....but there is just a lot of "other" costs that can creep in there.

Since you don't have the courtesy of updating your timeline or even telling us what foreign country is involved,, how can we begin to help you with these other costs.

You have the VJ related costs pretty well listed, but depending on where your fiance(e) is from, that may indicate some of the other costs.

As I've stated, it's very expensive and to those who worry about the cost, maybe this is not the best decision?

Sri, Thailand, yes I've read that again. Why the worry about the total costs before you submit the petition? Didn't you even consider this before you began?

Edited by baron555

OK, then you may have everything covered.....but there is just a lot of "other" costs that can creep in there.

Since you don't have the courtesy of updating your timeline or even telling us what foreign country is involved,, how can we begin to help you with these other costs.

You have the VJ related costs pretty well listed, but depending on where your fiance(e) is from, that may indicate some of the other costs.

As I've stated, it's very expensive and to those who worry about the cost, maybe this is not the best decision?

Sri, Thailand, yes I've read that again. Why the worry about the total costs before you submit the petition? Didn't you even consider this before you began?

Well gosh baron555, it seems like that is what we're doing right now this minute, considering the costs before we begin.....?!! Anyway on a side note, I have not begun the timeline because we have hardly started the formal K1 processes yet, as I mention in my first post, we are only just getting ready to file the I129 soon. Also, we are not worried about the cost or anything else, just making sure we know everything we should before we start, in the spirit of starting out on the right foot.

It is a comprehensive list. I'd avice to plan on 20-30% of the budget as a buffer for unexpected issues - e.g. people have been stuck re-doing the medical due to USCIS tardiness.

K1 time line

I-129F sent: 12/23/2014
NOA-1: 12/29/2014
NOA-2: 06/05/2015 (158 days)
NOA-2 hardcopy: 06/11/2015 (6 days post NOA-2, 164 days total)
Sent to NVC: 06/16/2015 (11 days post NOA-2, 169 days total)
NVC receive: 06/25/2015 (20 days post NOA-2, 178 days total)
NVC case no: 06/30/2015 (25 days post NOA-2, 183 days total)
NVC left: 07/02/2015 (27 days post NOA-2, 185 days total)
Case Ready: 07/07/2015 (32 days post NOA-2, 190 days total)
submitted DS-160, paid visa fee.: 07/21/2015 (46 days post NOA-2, 204 days total)
Packet 3 sent: 07/25/2015 (50 days post NOA-2, 209 days total)
Pack 4 received: 07/30/2015 (55 days post NOA-2, 214 days total)
Medical: 09/17/2015 Interview: 09/23/2015 (108 days post NOA-2, 268 days total)
Interview Result: Approved Administrative Processing: 09/23/2015
CEAC Status Issued: 09/24/2015
Visa in hand: 09/28/2015
POE: 12/29/2015 Wedding: 01/11/2016

AOS Time Line

AOS package mailed: 01/13/2016
AOS package received: 01/20/2016 (day 1)
AOS NOA-1 text/email: 01/23/2016 (day 3), actual NOA-1 date 01/22/2016 (day 2)
AOS Fingerprint fee received: 01/22/2016 (day 2)
AOS check cashed: 01-25-2016 (day 5) Got 6 month NJ driver's license: 01-25-2016
3x NOA-1 hardcopies: 02/03/2016 (day 14)

Biometrics letter: 02/05/2016 (day 16) Biometrics appt (Elizabeth, NJ): 02/17/2016 (day 28)

EAD and AP approved email/txt: 03/29/2016 (day 67)

GC approval email/text: 04/04/2016 (day 74)

I-797 for I-765/I-131 in mail: 04/04/2016 (day 74)

EAD/AP delivered: 04/05/216 (day 75)

GC card being mailed status update: 04/07/16 (day 77)

GC received: 04/11/16 (day 84 post AOS NOA-1)

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 21 MONTHS!

ROC Window opens: 01/04/2018

ROC Time Line
ROC package mailed to Vermont 01/04/2018
ROC package received at Vermont 01/08/2018 (day 0)
Check cashed: 01/16/2018 (day 8 )
NOA-1 date: 01/09/2018 (day 1)
NOA-1 received: 01/16/2018 (day 8 )
Biometrics notice received: 02/09/2018 (day 32)
Biometrics appointment: 02/23/2018 (day 46)
Received 18-month extension letter: 08/13/2018 (day 209)
ROC Approved: 03/09/2019 (day 425)
Card Received: 03/16/2019  (day 432)

It is a comprehensive list. I'd avice to plan on 20-30% of the budget as a buffer for unexpected issues - e.g. people have been stuck re-doing the medical due to USCIS tardiness.

K1 time line

I-129F sent: 12/23/2014
NOA-1: 12/29/2014
NOA-2: 06/05/2015 (158 days)
NOA-2 hardcopy: 06/11/2015 (6 days post NOA-2, 164 days total)
Sent to NVC: 06/16/2015 (11 days post NOA-2, 169 days total)
NVC receive: 06/25/2015 (20 days post NOA-2, 178 days total)
NVC case no: 06/30/2015 (25 days post NOA-2, 183 days total)
NVC left: 07/02/2015 (27 days post NOA-2, 185 days total)
Case Ready: 07/07/2015 (32 days post NOA-2, 190 days total)
submitted DS-160, paid visa fee.: 07/21/2015 (46 days post NOA-2, 204 days total)
Packet 3 sent: 07/25/2015 (50 days post NOA-2, 209 days total)
Pack 4 received: 07/30/2015 (55 days post NOA-2, 214 days total)
Medical: 09/17/2015 Interview: 09/23/2015 (108 days post NOA-2, 268 days total)
Interview Result: Approved Administrative Processing: 09/23/2015
CEAC Status Issued: 09/24/2015
Visa in hand: 09/28/2015
POE: 12/29/2015 Wedding: 01/11/2016

AOS Time Line

AOS package mailed: 01/13/2016
AOS package received: 01/20/2016 (day 1)
AOS NOA-1 text/email: 01/23/2016 (day 3), actual NOA-1 date 01/22/2016 (day 2)
AOS Fingerprint fee received: 01/22/2016 (day 2)
AOS check cashed: 01-25-2016 (day 5) Got 6 month NJ driver's license: 01-25-2016
3x NOA-1 hardcopies: 02/03/2016 (day 14)

Biometrics letter: 02/05/2016 (day 16) Biometrics appt (Elizabeth, NJ): 02/17/2016 (day 28)

EAD and AP approved email/txt: 03/29/2016 (day 67)

GC approval email/text: 04/04/2016 (day 74)

I-797 for I-765/I-131 in mail: 04/04/2016 (day 74)

EAD/AP delivered: 04/05/216 (day 75)

GC card being mailed status update: 04/07/16 (day 77)

GC received: 04/11/16 (day 84 post AOS NOA-1)

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 21 MONTHS!

ROC Window opens: 01/04/2018

ROC Time Line
ROC package mailed to Vermont 01/04/2018
ROC package received at Vermont 01/08/2018 (day 0)
Check cashed: 01/16/2018 (day 8 )
NOA-1 date: 01/09/2018 (day 1)
NOA-1 received: 01/16/2018 (day 8 )
Biometrics notice received: 02/09/2018 (day 32)
Biometrics appointment: 02/23/2018 (day 46)
Received 18-month extension letter: 08/13/2018 (day 209)
ROC Approved: 03/09/2019 (day 425)
Card Received: 03/16/2019  (day 432)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.