mag2929

California Driver's License - ?? learner's permit instead of temporary

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hi guys, so I went to the DVM today to get my driver's license started, but the DMV people seemed confused over what codes to use to get me my paperwork. In the end, I ended up getting a paper that states that I require another driver over 18 to accompany me at all times/?? - essentially a learner's permit. I am pretty sure this is wrong. I know we have to do a driving test, which I will book, but I think it is wrong to give someone who has had a driving license for > 18 years a learner's permit. How am I going to get to work?

Do you guys think this is wrong or do all of you get "learner's permits" when you await your driving test?

help! M

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I can't speak for California, but in Minnesota I needed to sit for a driving test before I could get a license. I obtained an international drivers' license before I moved over so that let me drive normally until I took it.

Package sent to: Chicago Office

Local Office: Saint Paul, MN

Primary Filings: I0-485, I-130, I-765

Date Filed : 11 Sept 2012

NOA Date : 17 Sept 2012

Bio. Appt.. : 12 Oct 2012

EAD in Production: 14 Nov 2012

EAD Received : 24 Nov 2012

Interview Date : 12 February 2013

Approved : 13 February 2013

GC in Production: 19 February 2013

GC Received: 25 February 2013

Petition to Remove Conditions (I-751)

Date of I-751 = 28 Jan 2015

NOA Date = 29 Jan 2015

Biometrics = 26 Feb 2015

Approved = 25 June 2015

Filed: Timeline

hi guys, so I went to the DVM today to get my driver's license started, but the DMV people seemed confused over what codes to use to get me my paperwork. In the end, I ended up getting a paper that states that I require another driver over 18 to accompany me at all times/?? - essentially a learner's permit. I am pretty sure this is wrong. I know we have to do a driving test, which I will book, but I think it is wrong to give someone who has had a driving license for > 18 years a learner's permit. How am I going to get to work?

Do you guys think this is wrong or do all of you get "learner's permits" when you await your driving test?

help! M

nope! that is right..

if it is your first time getting a license here in California. you have to start from permit

same thing happened to me and the rest of my family 8 years ago

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Similar in Colorado, not sure I remember the accompanied requirement, it was only a few days until I took the test so not really an issue.

I did not need an International Drivers Permit as my license was in English, presumably the issue with Australians is that it is upside down.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought it was 10 days?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They issued you the wrong permit. As you already have a license issued in Canada you should have got a temporary permit. You'll have to brave the DMV and go back and get it reissued. Explain that you have a license issued in ....... you took the written test on ..... and you should be issued with a temporary permit.

This has happened to others who have had to get it changed.

You will still have to take a road test. I don't know how long the temporary license is valid for.

And just a reminder every state has different requirements regarding licences from other countries. Some states even have different requirements for different Canadian provinces.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Similar in Colorado, not sure I remember the accompanied requirement, it was only a few days until I took the test so not really an issue.

I did not need an International Drivers Permit as my license was in English, presumably the issue with Australians is that it is upside down.

Irrelevant.

A Canadian licence in Colorado can be changed over as if from another state. No testing is needed.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

help! M

I was a licensed driver in Ontario when I moved to California. I had to take the written test and the road test in California before a license was issued. It definitely wasn't a learner's permit. I was able to drive with my Ontario license until the CA license was issued. This was about 20 years ago. Not sure if laws have changed.

Edited by canuckinla

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Canada Regional Forum to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

You have to do the driving test again in California as per the California DMV since you are from another country.

If you have a license from another country, you will be required to take a driving test. If you have a license from another state, the driving test can be waived.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/dl/dl_info#two500

help! M

Sorry for late response but that is definitely wrong. We moved to CA at the beginning of the year from overseas. After we wrote our written tests we got temporary driver permits which allowed us to drive unaccompanied until we could take the behind the wheel tests. Not the same thing as learners permits which as you say need a licensed driver with you. We had to have our temp permits plus overseas licenses with us in the car until we got our CA licenses.

Oh and.., my husband and I did our written tests at different DMV offices and both got the temporary driver permits. I don't think that's relevant but just thought I'd mention it :)

Edited by SusieQQQ

I know every state has different rules for ''people out of the country'' to get a US driver license. I had an appointment last Friday in Alabama for the learners permit ( written test) I passed it and I asked the lady if I could do the road test right now because I'm older than 18 or 21. And she said yes! So I did both in 1 hour and I passed it. But like other people said ''what happened with you sounds definitely wrong''. I know It's already 2 weeks ago..so maybe you already did something, I hope you figured it out!

US Passport Application

Routine service
Applied: 12/3/2020

Received: 12/18/2020

Approved & Shipped: 1/11/2021

Passport Delivered:   1/14/2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.