Ban Hammer

$15 Minimum Wage Advocacy Group Posts Facebook Job Listing That Pays $12 An Hour

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In the 1990s, the minimum wage was raised - in several steps - from 3.35/hr to 5.15/hr. And increase of more than 50% over that decade. Based on the tired old line of - raising the minimum wage will mean job losses - the 1990s must have been a decade of lost jobs. Only it wasn't. Quite the opposite is the case - that decade saw more jobs created than any other in recent history.

And that's not just here. They had the same debate in Germany when they introduced a wage floor this year. None of the dark clouds that were prophesized by the business lobby came to pass. Unemployment there is at its lowest in more than a quarter century. Never did they have employment gains in the winter - except this winter when the wage floor became effective.

Spare me this "we can't pay people fair wages" garbage.

When people aren't paid fair wages, it costs EVERYONE money. End of story. Why are individual taxpayers helping to prop up dishonest multi-million dollar corporations?

Do people making 150 000/yr enjoy having their money stolen by WalMart?

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In Dallas Fort Worth area, We have a low cost of living and thus pay isn't high compared to California or New York

But we have illegal Alien who stand on corner (and they do in almost every city in the metroplex) and they get paid $12 per hour for fairly easy work.

Take that and add it tax free then it's like making $15 per hour.

So the work and pay is out there for people who didn't even finish High School, they just have to want to work

Timeline

In Dallas Fort Worth area, We have a low cost of living and thus pay isn't high compared to California or New York

But we have illegal Alien who stand on corner (and they do in almost every city in the metroplex) and they get paid $12 per hour for fairly easy work.

So the work and pay is out there for people who didn't even finish High School, they just have to want to work

What kind of 'fairly easy work?' And is it steady work that you can guarantee having every week? Are you encouraging people to be paid under the table and shirk their tax obligations?

Also, do you think everyone should just refuse to work for stores? What do you think would happen to the economy if there were no minimum wage labourers?

2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

Filed: Timeline

And they'll have to want to be willing to break the law since that type of black market work where no taxes and FICA are paid is not exactly lawful. But hey, one has to make compromises, yes?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

In the 1990s, the minimum wage was raised - in several steps - from 3.35/hr to 5.15/hr. And increase of more than 50% over that decade. Based on the tired old line of - raising the minimum wage will mean job losses - the 1990s must have been a decade of lost jobs. Only it wasn't. Quite the opposite is the case - that decade saw more jobs created than any other in recent history.

And that's not just here. They had the same debate in Germany when they introduced a wage floor this year. None of the dark clouds that were prophesized by the business lobby came to pass. Unemployment there is at its lowest in more than a quarter century. Never did they have employment gains in the winter - except this winter when the wage floor became effective.

Spare me this "we can't pay people fair wages" garbage.

No one said anything about paying a fair wage, the debate is about how to decide a fair wage. Personally, I do not trust the federal government to make that decision based o the track record of all three branches no matter what party they are part of, I believe the market should decide. As to loss of jobs, that will come with higher labor costs, maybe not right away, but with time. I can remember going to the grocery store as a kid where there were more than ten check-out clerks working at any given time. Now, I see three or four with two covering ten automated lanes. Seems like that is a loss of more than 50% of the workforce. It may not have been immediate but businesses, when faced with higher operating costs, have three options, cut into profits ( this may be possible, but it depends on the margins), raise prices ( as far as the market will allow), or do more with less by investing in technology. Once the costs exceed the revenues, the company will fold and that will be it for everyone. Based on what I have seen, the 15 is not based on anything other than a guess by the legislators.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

So basically what you are saying is that 'not everyone can get ahead, no matter what they do'. You do realize that retail is a HUGE industry and that it screws people over so that they cannot search for other work or upgrade their skills? Should people live on welfare while they try to find something better than retail? Is that what you're saying?

NO ONE wants to shop somewhere the workers get commission compared to one they don't--commissioned salespeople are high pressure and obnoxious. That's literally why used car salesmen have the reputation they do as being jerks.

Are you saying that only people with a certain personality, those who make good leaders, should be able to make a living based on their hard work?

So everyone should want a ridiculously huge house and a grassy green lawn? I rather hate that idea, myself. My in-laws live in a house so large that I literally lost count of the bathrooms. Their lawns are gorgeous. Only three people live there. I am disgusted by their home. It's a waste of money and resources. Grass lawns are terrible for the environment and contribute very, very little towards helping our carbon footprint or preserving clean water. Not only that, you have to CLEAN a house that large. No, I would much rather live in a home that's just big enough for my family. Easier to keep tidy. I'd like raised vegetable gardens rather than lawns--and most of the fancy expensive neighbourhoods, their homeowners' associations won't let you have vegetable gardens instead of lawns.

A US diploma has perceived value internationally, sure. Unfortunately, within the US, so many people have them that they have almost no value, which is why my wife is in grad school. You basically have to have a graduate degree to put you ahead of the curve. Just a regular college diploma is effectively the new high school diploma. Market's flooded and it generally means you're in massive debt.

And, interestingly, anywhere that pays decently wants a credit check to make sure that you have good credit, which you will fail to have if your bank account is a negative every month BEFORE any emergencies or illnesses or extras.

Actually, there are quite a few college degrees that are worth something even at the bachelor level.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

No one said anything about paying a fair wage, the debate is about how to decide a fair wage. Personally, I do not trust the federal government to make that decision based o the track record of all three branches no matter what party they are part of, I believe the market should decide. As to loss of jobs, that will come with higher labor costs, maybe not right away, but with time. I can remember going to the grocery store as a kid where there were more than ten check-out clerks working at any given time. Now, I see three or four with two covering ten automated lanes. Seems like that is a loss of more than 50% of the workforce. It may not have been immediate but businesses, when faced with higher operating costs, have three options, cut into profits ( this may be possible, but it depends on the margins), raise prices ( as far as the market will allow), or do more with less by investing in technology. Once the costs exceed the revenues, the company will fold and that will be it for everyone. Based on what I have seen, the 15 is not based on anything other than a guess by the legislators.

Well, looking at the ever shrinking share that wages and salaries take out of corporate results vs. the ever rising share that dividends, share buy-backs and executive compensation swallow, I don't know that I trust the corporate overlords either. What I do believe is that there is a determinable floor under which no wage should be allowed to slip. Nobody but perhaps the corporate bottom line gains anything when people need to supplement their earnings out of public coffers after putting in an honest day's work. If your business cannot pay that wage while all others can, then you simply do not have a viable business.

Timeline

Actually, there are quite a few college degrees that are worth something even at the bachelor level.

If you happen to have good guidance counsellors who help you get honest statistics about who's hiring out of what schools.

If you have high enough marks.

If you can afford to go to the schools where those degrees ARE worth something.

If you don't get screwed by a school trying to make a profit.

If you don't drown in student debt.

Then yeah, those degrees definitely are worth something.

Unfortunately, even if you apply to only 'good' programs at 'good' schools, you're not guaranteed to get into any of them. Spaces are limited--this is part of what makes these diplomas desirable.

So maybe you don't go to college, meaning you work minimum wage but at least don't have student loans or maybe you take a gamble on being able to transfer midway through your degree. If you don't win your gamble, then you are stuck with minimum wage and student debt.

March 13, 2014 Married!

Timeline

And they'll have to want to be willing to break the law since that type of black market work where no taxes and FICA are paid is not exactly lawful. But hey, one has to make compromises, yes?

In city around here they set up buildings paid for by the cities for the illegals and legals to wait for work, it called Day labor centers

Here is an example

https://www.plano.gov/663/Day-Labor-Center

Timeline

What kind of 'fairly easy work?' And is it steady work that you can guarantee having every week? Are you encouraging people to be paid under the table and shirk their tax obligations?

Also, do you think everyone should just refuse to work for stores? What do you think would happen to the economy if there were no minimum wage labourers?

It seems like people are picked up by other illegals for mowing yards, and the white people I see pick them up is for painting or yard work. I would say fairly easy work.

I am not encouraging anything, I personally think they should not be allowed to stand on a corner, especially in a upscale city like the one I live in and be able to offer services like a prostitute, I think they cheapen the site where they are standing

I think people need to work in stores, It great for High School or college kids or part time jobs, I would personally hate to try to make a long term career working in a store..

And about any teenager or young man in his early 20's can go into Oil & Gas and become a roughneck and make lots of money, I would say they earn about $75K per year. Lots of jobs in Texas, and lots of money to be earned if you want to work hard in Oil & Gas.........

Edited by VOL

In city around here they set up buildings paid for by the cities for the illegals and legals to wait for work, it called Day labor centers

Here is an example

So Texas is openly complicit in attracting undocumented migrants to the state and country. Good to know.

Timeline

Here is an example

Funnily enough, we have similar things in Canada. We make sure that all people soliciting labour through them pay them through the labour centre, though, to ensure that everyone has an SIN (our SSN) and pays their taxes.

It seems like people are picked up by other illegals for mowing yards, and the white people I see pick them up is for painting or yard work. I would say fairly easy work.

I am not encouraging anything, I personally think they should not be allowed to stand on a corner, especially in a upscale city like the one I live in and be able to offer services like a prostitute, I think they cheapen the site where they are standing

I think people need to work in stores, It great for High School or college kids or part time jobs, I would personally hate to try to make a long term career working in a store..

And about any teenager or young man in his early 20's can go into Oil & Gas and become a roughneck and make lots of money, I would say they earn about $75K per year. Lots of jobs in Texas, and lots of money to be earned if you want to work hard in Oil & Gas.........

So you're not saying anyone SHOULD do something, unless they want to get ahead in life. People should do illegal things to get ahead in life, even though you hate those things.

No one WANTS to make a long term career working in a store, but welcome to the new economy.

And actually, I almost married one of those young men you talk about working for oil and gas. Funnily enough, he lost his job after being injured on the job (they were all short term contracts, so no worker's comp, lucky him). No one would hire him after he was hurt, even for jobs he could do because the price of oil is dropping, so that big money was over and last I spoke to him he was working in one of Amazon's warehouses for just barely above minimum wage.

So Texas is openly complicit in attracting undocumented migrants to the state and country. Good to know.

Funny, that, since they're so adamant they want them all gone from the land they took from them...

March 13, 2014 Married!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Obviously $12 an hour is not a weekly rate, a lot of hanging around. But if you paid somebody $12 an hour legally by the time you add all you on costs it could easily be $20.

And there are plenty of people to do jobs Americans do not want to do.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Here is an example

I hired 3 AA fellas (not illegals) when I moved out of Plano from the Day Labor Center.

Fast forward to 3 years in the now, and I learn that one of them somehow got my SSN and name and had electricity in my name at his apartment for about 2 years. WOW.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !