MotorenWerkeN52

SSA told my wife to change last name with "immigration" first after getting married

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello,

So we are on step 19 of the K1 fiance visa process shows in the below link.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

We received our certified marriage certificate in the mail yesterday and first thing I did was fill out the SSA form to change my wife's last name on the social security card.

I got to the SSA office this morning with all of the required documents and the guy at the window told me "I need to change her name with immigration first". I had a blank look on my face because this was the first time I had heard this and I wasn't sure about what he meant by "immigration".

I did ask him if he meant USCIS and he said "yes" but I didn't feel confident in his answer. After leaving I called USCIS and they didn't seem to have a clue what I was talking about. They advised me to make an info pass appointment which I have not done yet.

I need advice from you guys on how you guys changed the name with SSA once getting married. Did anyone have to change their name with "immigration" prior to changing with SSA?

Thanks

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred?: No

Consulate: Morocco

I-129F Sent: 2014-03-01

I-129F NOA1: 2014-03-07

I-129F RFE(s): None

I-129F NOA2: 2015-01-06

NVC Received: 2015-01-20

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned: 2015-01-20

NVC Left: 2015-01-21

Consulate Received: 2015-01-23

Packet 3 Received: 2015-01-30

Interview Date: 2015-02-25

Interview Result: Administrative Review

Visa Received: 2015-04-03

US Entry: 2015-04-30

Marriage: 2015-05-30

Processing Estimates/Stats:

Your I-129f was approved in 305 days from your NOA1 date.
Your interview took 355 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

is a k-1 visa? visa-holder is female? is day 74 or prior from POE date?

then apply in VISA name,

as

the SSA clerks HAVE to look her up in the SAVE database.

She has no federal ID in her 'married name', so she cannot get issued a SSN in her married name.

can change the name at SSA after EAD card or green card arrives showing the new married name, but for now,

apply in PASSPORT name.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

A friend of mine had a smilar situation but eventually she was able to change it to her married name. I didn't expereince any problems while changing my name. I think you should go back and talk to another person and tell tham that they are wrong. I pressume that you completed step 16 which is obtaining ssn after her arrival. Good luck!!!

This is an ongoing issue for all k1s, some people manage to change their names. Somehow...

But those like you and I and the majority get told the same thing.

We have to change our name with uscis before SS.

It's a load of bull...

But I also suggest waiting till EAD or green card, it'll save you a lot of hassle.

Most offices are not informed well that we can change our name even though it's not on the database.

But they (roughly 90% of the time) just won't do it because they follow little rules and regulations and follow what they are taught.

Don't waste your time going back when you may just be told the same.

Wait for EAD.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Timeline

i have it broken down for K-1s over at http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/405546-ssn-howto/

please have a read, when able...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

i have it broken down for K-1s over at http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/405546-ssn-howto/

please have a read, when able...

Thank you for the helpful information. I guess we will wait to change the name on the SSC until AOS is completed.

My wife got her first SS card within 2 weeks of being here. We went to the SSA office 4 days after she arrived and they had her in the system. I think since switching to the electric I-94 the process is a bit faster.

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred?: No

Consulate: Morocco

I-129F Sent: 2014-03-01

I-129F NOA1: 2014-03-07

I-129F RFE(s): None

I-129F NOA2: 2015-01-06

NVC Received: 2015-01-20

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned: 2015-01-20

NVC Left: 2015-01-21

Consulate Received: 2015-01-23

Packet 3 Received: 2015-01-30

Interview Date: 2015-02-25

Interview Result: Administrative Review

Visa Received: 2015-04-03

US Entry: 2015-04-30

Marriage: 2015-05-30

Processing Estimates/Stats:

Your I-129f was approved in 305 days from your NOA1 date.
Your interview took 355 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Timeline

Sorry, I totally misread that she already received a SSN card in her visa name.

to get it changed over , to a married name,

she will need to have either (pick one)

1. EAD card or

2. green card

issued in the new married name.

bring 1 or 2 into SSA office, they will change it for her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.