thunderforce41

Immigrant visa (IR-2) expired, can I still use the temporary I-551 for re-entry?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

I've been in the US for nearly six months and haven't gotten the green card yet, and my IR-2 immigrant visa is expiring soon. Though, I have to go back to Thailand for personal reasons. Will I be able to use the temporary I-551 on my visa ("UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR.") even though the immigrant visa is already expired to re-enter the United States after I get back from Thailand? Thanks in advance!

Sorry for bad English, not my native language.

Edited by thunderforce41

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

yes, as long as you return within 1 year of initial POE date.

what news of ELIS status?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

please find a 7 foot long stick of bamboo, and

bonk yer father on the head,

until he can show you the ELIS status.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I will tell him after I get back from Thailand! :) It's a really urgent matter so I guess I'll have to go back to Thailand first. It's great to know that I can re-enter without having a green card by using the I-551 though.

Timeline

really, you obtaining your current ELIS status from your father

should be more important than

jumping on a plane to Thailand.

Timeline

That's also true. I can probably ask him about the ELIS matter but I don't think I can wait until I get the green card to get back there though, I have an urgent family matter coming up that requires me to be there. I'll be back in the States by August so I'll remind him about the ELIS before I leave the States and hopefully it will be ready when I get back. I was just trying to make sure that I can re-enter the US in the meantime. Thank you for reminding me to check on the ELIS though! :)

Edited by thunderforce41

Timeline

seriously - your ELIS status is more important than anything else, save the discovery that you've run out of toilet paper.

Does your father answer the phone when you call him?

ELIS access is a 24 hour online web portal - it's not that difficult to check current status. If'n it takes more than 10 minutes on a pc with internet explorer V7 or greater, well, Dad has some technology issues.

Edited by Darnell

Timeline

He does, we are in good relationship. Initially I planned to stay here for at least a year before I travel back so we did not rush on the green card stuff as we were busy with school stuff and with me getting a learner's permit for driving. I've already gotten the SSN card though. Though it just came up that I have to go back for a couple months so this thing was pretty much unplanned and unexpected :/

Timeline

so, what prevented you this hour,

from picking up the phone and talking with him, posing a query to him about your status in ELIS?

Timeline

oh.

<EOM>

Timeline

Edit: He said he did not pay for the Green Card because he planned to file a citizenship form for me because I got here with the IR-2 visa and I'm under 18, so I'm qualified under the Child Citizenship Act. ( My dad is a US citizen.)

Edited by thunderforce41

Actually I just asked him, and he said he hadn't paid the fee yet :/

Time to pay that... if you have a CC, debit card, or a checking account you can pay it yourself.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/How%20Do%20I%20Guides/F4en.pdf

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.