steveoiolo

[Green Card holder] Expediting N-400 process

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I am a green card holder, for 10 years. Recently, I got a job offer which requires citizenship for security clearance. The company (defense contracting) told me that I can get the job if I am able to prove somehow, with a document, that I will be sworn in.

1. How do I expedite my N-400 process.

2. Is there by any way I can get hold of a document required by them?

Thanks,

steveoiolo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

no, first you have to past the test, you cannot have the Oath Ceremony without passing the test, there is no guarantee

you have to study the questions and pass the test

there is no reason for expediting, the process can take from 3 to 6 months, depending on your city and state

Not going to happen, you have to go through the regular process just like anyone else.

Exception is if you fall under 319(b) category - spouse USC being deployed or on government orders to serve overseas which does not sound like your case.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I'm wondering how you were told that you would get the job, which requires citizenship, before actually acquiring it; when you applied were you asked? I assume you never said you were a citizen before you were one, right? Remember, that is a huge no-no!

A clear majority of applicants are applied. Best you get going and hopefully they can wait a few months.

Good luck!

There were some cases on here where people filled out federal job application (US citizenship required) and claimed US citizenship and were then denied citizenship because of that. One did it couple of days either before his naturalization interview or before taking the oath.

You're not a citizen until you take the Oath and should not be claiming you are unless you're asking to remain LPR for a long time.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

~~moved to Citizenship discussion from general immigration as topic is specifically about citizenship.~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The only approved expedited cases I've ever heard of were for medical reasons. The last person was a cancer survivor or was in remission (can't remember the exact details).

That does not include special non-medical cases such as active duty military and civilians who are about to move abroad to work in certain qualifying fields.

I have read about people in similar situations to yours, but none were able to expedite. This doesn't mean that it's impossible, but don't get your hopes up. In most cases, wanting to apply for a job is not considered a good enough reason to expedite your case.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.