Smelserjl

Getting Foreign Marriage Certificate in US?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I know that if you get married in a foreign country and have it certified, etc by the US embassy, your marriage is legal in the US. BUT--can you get a copy of your marriage certificate or anything saying you're married in the US, or can you only obtain a copy from the country in which you were married?

Edited by Smelserjl

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Off Topic forum to the General Immigration Discussion forum, in hopes of relevant replies. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Your marriage is legal no matter the country you are married in. How would you obtain a marriage cert in the US if you are married in another country? Impossible. You don't need anything to declare you are married in the US, the marriage certificate from the foreign country you are married in is all you need.

Edited by mimolicious

Timeline

Your marriage is legal no matter the country you are married in. How would you obtain a marriage cert in the US if you are married in another country? Impossible. You don't need anything to declare you are married in the US, the marriage certificate from the foreign country you are married in is all you need.

Hello,

Yes I am aware of that, but what if you need a copy? Is there no way to get a copy of my marriage certificate that is already legal in the US other than to go back to Egypt and obtain this?

Didn't they give you two copies when you got married? I guess it does not matter.

Contact the Egyptian Embassy. See if they can get you a copy. Don't forget to get it translated, too.

Timeline

Didn't they give you two copies when you got married? I guess it does not matter.

Contact the Egyptian Embassy. See if they can get you a copy. Don't forget to get it translated, too.

I did get two copies--my husband is still in Egypt and has the other one :/ I guess the answer is no, the US won't give me anything saying I'm married, so I'll get in touch with the embassy. Thanks everyone.

Timeline

I did get two copies--my husband is still in Egypt and has the other one :/ I guess the answer is no, the US won't give me anything saying I'm married, so I'll get in touch with the embassy. Thanks everyone.

That's right; the US won't give you anything saying you're married.

Your husband can get as many copies of the marriage certificate as he'd like from Egypt... they're not expensive and don't take long to get if he doesn't mind standing in lines.

While he's there, he can also get a couple of copies officially translated in case you need them here.

This will be good enough for most of your needs in the US, however, if you want to do exactly what the US embassy recommends:

"To use the marriage certificate in the U.S., it should be translated into English at the Notary Public Authority-located on 57 Ramses Street, Cairo. The fee is 15.00LE for each page. It takes 1-2 days to receive the translation, which must then be authenticated by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (11.00 LE) and authenticated by the American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo ($50.00).

Please note: If you do obtain an English marriage certificate from the Egyptian Ministry of Justice Translation office, you DO NOT need to have it authenticated at the American Embassy to use for immigration in the United States."

http://egypt.usembassy.gov/acs12.html

Note that this is for immigration purposes... if he's not using the marriage certificate to immigrate then a translated copy should be enough.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

you would need to go back to where you were married as they will have the details of the marriage on file.

Edited by lirpa11

IR1 - Spouse VisaPetition I-130

Posted from Australia 05/24/2014

Email receipt received 06/09/2014

Paid from Bank 06/09/2014

Approved online update on case status 06/20/2014

Received NOA1 in the post 06/22/2014

NOA2 received in post 07/10/2014

NVC

Email from NVC 8/7/2014

AoS ready for paymentDS-261 submitted 8/8/2014

AoS Fee Paid 8/12/2014

AoS and IV scan date 10/25/2014

Checklist: 12/18/2014

Posted updated packet for checklist on 2/25/2015

Received by NVC 3/2/2015

Case Complete: 3/2/2015

Interview: 4/21/2015

Approved: 4/21/2014

POE: 6/2/2015<p>

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your husband is in Egypt. Why not tell him to get a bunch of copies? ?

Edited by apple21

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.