spookyturtle

Imported Filipino brides share the ups and downs of settling in America

190 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Semantics. And irrelevant.

While relation and relationship refer to the connection between two things, relation shades more toward the way things are connected, while relationship refers to the connection itself. The difference is not spacious.

Both can mean the way in which two or more concepts, objects, or people are connected;

in addition, relationship can mean the state of being connected.

Semantics is fixating/quibbling over two similar sounding words that mean different things. Having a lot of one night stands is different to being in a long term relationship, quite obviously. Perhaps next we can argue about how stationery means the same thing as stationary because its spelt similarly.

Of course, sleeping with that many people (and actually counting how many you've been with) kind of suggests a rather callous attitude towards both sex and relationships. Personally, I can't see many people going to Ron Jeremy for relationship advice.

Edited by Venkman

Of course there's another aspect to all of this..... Age. Frankly, I feel bad for Americans that get married in their teens/early twenties. Some of my fav memories in my life were during those years. And I learned a lot about relationships. The concept of marrying a foreigner at that age and leaving all of your family and friends for a far away country where you're an extreme minority and probably not the best with the native language or culture is a difficult one at best. Maybe life is better or your children will have errrr opportunities. I'm just not convinced late teens early 20s men or women have the experience to embark on that type of journey without regrets. But hey, some folks aspire to be a virgin on their wedding night. I've always felt sorry for the ones that did. And it's no surprise the ones that wait get married so young.

i agree for the most part, only because of experience. not saying it's not possible for someone to marry young and make it work.

I will give you this. The difference in relationship and relations is a fairly basic easy to understand principle

Bill C did not say, I did not have a relationship with that woman, he said he did not have relations.

I might add, that I don't think he was serious when he said that. I took it as joking.

and that's all i was ever saying, and it really doesn't matter to me if vol was being serious.

also, i always appreciate a bill c reference when one can be made.

:content:

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I thought there was a misunderstanding about relationships and relations, that would explain it more clearly to me.

Yes, because there's a HUGE difference between relationships and relations in my mind. If you say I've slept with 1200 people, I'd be like ok. If you tell me you've had 1200 relationships, I'd look at you with raised eyebrows...

I wouldn't think that's ok. Even for a prostitute, 1200 sexual partners is pretty extreme. A different person everyday for over three years? I wonder about how much respect such a person has for themselves let alone the people they've been with...

There's really just so much going on in this thread. I kinda feel bad for the guys now. But probably not the way they want me too. Do people ever marry for love anymore or is it all strategy?

No one marries for love anymore.(mostly aimed at mean) They look for temporary trophies that will fill the void in their heart until the trophy is taken by a new champion. Then they are back to searching for the next temporary fix instead of looking for permanent solutions.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No one marries for love anymore.(mostly aimed at mean) They look for temporary trophies that will fill the void in their heart until the trophy is taken by a new champion. Then they are back to searching for the next temporary fix instead of looking for permanent solutions.

You're doing to "men" what you get mad about other people doing to black people. There's some guys that do this for sure but it isn't necessarily an outcome of our gender. The ones that paddle that filth are only looking for justification to herald their emotional issues as some sort of conquest.

I married for love.

Edited by GandD

A perfect example of hubris in thinking you know other people's lives better than they do.

I don't question why gay people love each other and say "Oh, I feel sorry for them " nor do I spout off pity for Christians or Muslims or people who love city life, people that eat grasshoppers or want to be married as virgins or an endless list of other choices people make by the millions.

Posing yourself as needing convincing is exactly what is wrong. What relevance does it have that I don't dig sodomy? Some people have foot fetishes or dig super humongous boobs. They spend money on expensive bottled water or think Slab City is the best place on earth to live. Not only do I accept it - I can celebrate their choice. Hooray for gay people. Hooray for inter-racial couples. Hooray for immigrants .

Fortunately, you aren't in charge. The law protects people - fully legal adults by the way - from needing your permission to do what adults have the legal right to do. They can vote, die in battle, marry, drink, screw, and both law and custom grants them the respect you don't have for them.

Speaking as you have demonstrates an incapability of putting yourself in other people's shoes. Not that you would understand, but look how these Filipinas are viewed by their friends, families, neighbors, etc. - they are superstars. They are held in high esteem. They become the matriarchs of their families. The person people go to for counsel.

Those are the eyes people look through to understand them, not through the disgusting, fabricated pity of an article like in the OP. The author had zero interest in reporting from the Filipino perspective.

GoodGrief-703274.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The ones that paddle that filth are only looking for justification to herald their emotional issues as some sort of conquest.

:huh:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

You're doing to "men" what you get mad about other people doing to black people. There's some guys that do this for sure but it isn't necessarily an outcome of our gender. The ones that paddle that filth are only looking for justification to herald their emotional issues as some sort of conquest.

I married for love.

I thought my first marriage was for love, but I later found out that I really didn't know what true love really was. I married more for the fun we were having than anything else. After a few years the fun wore off and I found myself constantly swimming against the current until I couldn't take it anymore. This time around I made a promise to myself that if I was to get married again it would be to my best friend and to my true life partner, not just someone I was having a really good time with for a few years. I was successful in my search and I've never felt better or been happier than I am with my wife now! Life is a long hard journey with may ups and downs, there's nothing better than taking that ride with your best friend!

I thought my first marriage was for love, but I later found out that I really didn't know what true love really was. I married more for the fun we were having than anything else. After a few years the fun wore off and I found myself constantly swimming against the current until I couldn't take it anymore. This time around I made a promise to myself that if I was to get married again it would be to my best friend and to my true life partner, not just someone I was having a really good time with for a few years. I was successful in my search and I've never felt better or been happier than I am with my wife now! Life is a long hard journey with may ups and downs, there's nothing better than taking that ride with your best friend!

How long have you been married now?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

i agree for the most part, only because of experience. not saying it's not possible for someone to marry young and make it work.

and that's all i was ever saying, and it really doesn't matter to me if vol was being serious.

also, i always appreciate a bill c reference when one can be made.

:content:

Just for the record I understand what Bill did and forgave him. I like him a lot more now than I did then.

Marriage is hard no matter what. Even harder when it involves 2 people

Marriage is hard no matter what. Even harder when it involves 2 people

I married for love.

I'm not talking about the men who married for love.

Look at the comments on here by some of the men and tell me you really think they married their wives for "love."

I recognize this isn't every man, unlike those that refuse to recognize that there are good black people.

Now, back to the topic. I will not discuss black people with you.

You guys are letting men brag about their number of sacks on VJ.

You guys are letting men brag about their number of sacks on VJ.

i've always felt like anyone who brags about such a thing is lying.