jessiepatt

32 year age gap - older American woman

142 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Just remember, this process is not about convincing yourself or your friends and family that your relationship is legitimate, it's convincing the US Consulate, which is a difficult entity to convince. That said, much like a case in court, it's not what you say, it's what you can prove. My advice, do the following:

Proof you met and communicate:

1. Save every text, every Skype conversation, every photo.

2. Save every receipt for gifts you send him. Also save receipts from your travels to Africa.

3. Send your letters via certified mail, so you have a record of your hand-written contact. Additionally save receipts from packages you send.

4. Save records of any money wire transfers.

5. Hopefully you took lots of pictures together with not only him, but his family as well.

6. When in doubt, save it!

Other Prep:

1. Make wedding plans. You don't need exact dates, but you should have an idea how you will get married: in a church, how many relatives, reception, etc.

2. Be certain he knows everything about you and your family. Including but not limited to, your parent's full names, their birthdays, your education, your job, what your house looks like and how many rooms it has, any pets, friends, other relatives/siblings, etc. C.O.s ask these kinds of questions.

3. Set aside money now for both the K-1 fees AND the AOS fees. Too many couples I see only plan the K-1 Fees and forget about having the fees for AOS. In addition there are also medical fees you need to plan for as well for both K-1 and AOS.

Interview:

1. Research online what questions they may ask at the interview.

2. Do a mock interview with him a day before the interview.

3. For the K-1 interview, I think it would be a great idea to schedule some vacation time so you can be at the embassy. Even though it's not necessary, it will look a whole lot better if you are there

:thumbs: Great advice on all points. I would however be careful with money transfers at Ghana embassy and not submit them.

A hall rental at your local church written up in a contract would be ok if you can cancel it without paying a dime due to the fact that

firm dates on weddings rarely pan out and people lose deposits. Tentatively planning on paper is good evidence.

I also totally agree on being there for the interview to show support and troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

My boss at work came from Japan, and insists NEVER, NEVER risk having a denied visa on your (my fiancé's) record, so since 80% of the posts insist we will be denied for our K1... Should I withdraw it before it goes to USCIS? Is a withdrawn petition just as bad as a denied one? We would either re-submit another K1, further down the road, or marry in Accra and submit a CR1 after more time and face time passes. Thoughts???

Timeline

My boss at work came from Japan, and insists NEVER, NEVER risk having a denied visa on your (my fiancé's) record, so since 80% of the posts insist we will be denied for our K1... Should I withdraw it before it goes to USCIS? Is a withdrawn petition just as bad as a denied one? We would either re-submit another K1, further down the road, or marry in Accra and submit a CR1 after more time and face time passes. Thoughts???

You did already send the petition to USCIS, not sure what you mean " before it goes to USCIS." USCIS already has it.

Lets get technical about the lingo so you may be able to understand it better, only USCIS can deny a petition and only the consulate

can refuse to issue the visa.

If the reason is not enough evidence to convince the CO of a bona fide relationship then USCIS will let the returned petition expire and not deny it.

If the reason would be for a reason of willful misrepresentation of a material fact ( in other words someone blatantly lied on their petition and

K1 application) then USCIS can deny it.......denying it makes the whole thing a hard marker and that is something you definitely do not want.

BUT you guys just don't have enough evidence and therefore if everything else is answered truthfully and the documents are authentic, then

USCIS will NOT deny your returned petition but send you a letter after about 6 months that your petition is expired and that you

can re file "without prejudice".

You then don't have to wait 6 months to re file but can simply request your old petition to be administratively closed and send a short paragraph

along in your new petition, including a copy of your NOA2. You then also include a waiver request for being a multiple K1 filer and

just include it in your new petition. It's no big deal, sounds worse than it really is, it's just a simple request in one sentence and it will be granted.

If you file a CR1 then you don't have to include the waiver request.

Stick this out, go visit and bring a ton of evidence and be there for the interview and hope for the best.

I do NOT recommend that you withdraw the petition now. You never know if by chance the visa will be issued.

There should be no problem obtaining your NOA2 even with the meager evidence.

Many have been refused a K1 visa and many have been successful the second time around. It happens.

So in a nut shell, don't withdraw, keep on trucking and take a deep breath.

Spoiler

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

You guys rock. THANK YOU!!! I'm breathing a sigh of relief and I really appreciate the great explanation, especially your clear technical definition, Eboluwa! ?????

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

My honest opinion (which I understand is allowed here) is that you are being played for a fool. Having done business contracts in Africa I am equipped to notice how things operate there. Tread carefully. I hope you come back here and relate your success story but I have my doubts.

Timeline

You guys rock. THANK YOU!!! I'm breathing a sigh of relief and I really appreciate the great explanation, especially your clear technical definition, Eboluwa! ?????

(sorry, I meant Ebunoluwa)

Timeline

You are welcome Jessiepatt.

Spoiler

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

This is very much not true. I am 21 years older than my husband, I am divorced with 2 children, totally different culture, different religion. Age was NEVER an issue or ever mentioned throughout our entire journey. We never had any RFEs, petition was approved quickly, sailed through NVC and his interview was 7 months after NOA2. He has been here 2 and a half years, removed conditions without an rfe or interview and now he is preparing for citizenship in July. I wish people would stop with the nonsense, telling couples with a significant age gap with the woman being older that there is a a big chance they will be denied merely because she is older just is NOT true. Time and time again, over and over on this site we see these types of couples APPROVED. The consulate looks at the entire picture and no one can be denied based on age difference alone. We have yet to see a single couple ever denied for an age difference. The consulate wants to see an ongoing, bonafide relationship. If you don't have enough evidence to back up the relationship that reason for denial, not age.

well, you are not from Ghana so you wouldn't understand. My fiancé is a year younger than I and we hardly talk about age.

Age in African society means authority, respect, wisdom. The man is preferred to have those attributes so that he can lead his family.

Things are chaning and the younfer generation is beginnin to accept that "age is just a number" but a man's family can spin this around in a totally different direction.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Jessiepatt,

Ghana is a tough place but don't give up hope yet. If you haven't started K 1 yet then think about spousal visa also.

Do your research and understand the process. Don't ride along the "Good stories" too much.

If you can't make frequent visits to Ghana ( i know it is expensive! !), you, your daughter and him can meet in one o those commonwealth countries that allow member states visa-free entry for 30 to 90 days.

Nothing is impossible. Pm me if you have questions.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

We have a 28 yr age gap. I am a U.S.citizen,I knew my husband 18 mo before we met face to face.we in fb, I stayed nearly 3 months in his country , I arrived jan30 2014.we married march 3 /2014, I submitted all evidence of bonafide relationship to USCIS and approved, the down side..at interview feb2015, he was questioned like a criminal and laughed at by the CO for our age gap and was denied.now we are in administrative processing.I don't want to put a damper on things. But plz be prepared

i hope this doesn't offend you, but i swear, every time i read of cases like this, i think of Dani and Mohammed off 90 DF... please please please protect yourself first!

Me too! As unrealistically as it portrayed this process, I watched every episode!

90DF = a tv show called 90 Day Fiancé about couples going through k1.

*I am the (female) petitioner, my husband  is an Australian citizen *

Lifting Conditions
Event Date
CIS Office : California Service Center
Date Filed : 2017-12-11
NOA Date : 2017-12-14
RFE(s) :  
Bio. Appt. : 2018-01-23
Interview Date :  
Approval / Denial Date :  
Approved :  
Got I551 Stamp : No
Green Card Received :  
Comments : Transferred June 11, 2018.  Receipt WAC18075

Citizenship
Event Date
Service Center : Online
CIS Office : Chicago IL
Date Filed : 2019-01-02
NOA Date :  
Bio. Appt. : 2019-01-25
Interview Date :  
Approved :  
Oath Ceremony :  
Comments :  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Immigration aside if somebody you knew said they just got engaged to somebody they had known for 3 days what would you say?

And the add in everything else.

So what do you expect the Consulate to think.

Much easier than taking a boat across the Mediterranean.

My fiance and I got unoficially engaged over the phone and officially engaged 4 days after we met, when I visited him. That was in 2012. However he returned to Turkey in January of last year and we started the K-1 process in Sepetember so we had spent more time together in person before filing.

I-129F Sent: 10/10/2014

NOA1: 11/3/2014

NOA2: 12/08/2014

Interview:4/27/2015

221g denial for missing police clearence
Recieved Police Clearance on 6/1/2015
Sent Police Clearance and Passport to embassy on 6/2/2015
CEAC Status updates:
6/9/2015- AP
6/10/2015-AP
6/22/2015- AP
6/24/2015- READY
Case Creation Date Changed: 6/24/2015
Changed from Immigrant to Non-IV visa: 6/24/2015
6/25/2015- AP again :(
6/29/2015- ISSUED!
7/01/2015- Visa in hand

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nobody is commenting on whether they can or can not marry.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

ok....so to YOU it could look like the classical scam story. BUT what if it ISN'T? WHAT IF these two are truely in love and accept each other unconditionally...like LOVE does??? Just because YOU are cynical, or skeptical...who are YOU to put your personal opinions out here to try to bring OP and husband down? Negativity is NOT what this website is about. VJ is about SUPPORTING others through their journey. WE are NOT the Embassy, and guess what? As of yet,,,,the Embassy workers ARE HUMANS still....(in the future who knows....) and they have hearts. They will see/feel their Love is genuine and will APPROVE them! We are here to HELP OP's and to promote Positivity and Acceptance. There is NO racism, or age-ism or any other -ism here. IF these two LOVE each other, and she decides she wants to marry from another country then that's HER business.

It's about RESPECT..."If you can't say anything nice, Don't say anything" :bonk:

Nice comment. Very nice.

Edited by Ryan H

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.