20 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Help ... I keep running into dead ends, several lawyers I've spoken to can't agree, can't get two Immigrations officers to agree on the correct procedure, US border is telling us something different, not finding much information on the internet. Very frustrated!!! :(

My husband who is a Jay Treaty Canadian born first nation and I are moving to the USA. He has applied and received his permeant residence status. (which we know he did not have to get because he can live and work in the states without restrictions, however he needs his permanent residence status in order to sponsor me because I am not native american)

Now that he has his permanent residence card, he is filing the I-130 form to petition my application so that I can move to the states with him.

- after he has filed this form am I allowed to live with him in the states while the paperwork is being processed or do I have to remain in Canada?

- If I have to remain in Canada, am I able to visit my husband in the states during the paper process?

- how long is a typical wait?

Once the I-130 application has been accepted, and we receive a I-797 Notification well file I-485 form. Again

- or is it this point I am allowed to live in the states with him?

- how long of a process is this?

also

- is my husband considered a US citizen? as he has all the rights of a US citizen except he can't vote.

sorry this is all over the place but I'm trying to get some idea of the time frame that we will be spending apart as he will be leaving on May 1st to start our life in the states without me.. so any insight would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Bringing Family Members of Permanent Residents to America, from Introductions - Since your husband had to file and get US Permanent Residency in order to petition for you, I moved your thread here in hopes others will be able to help you.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It will take a few years, in the meantime you can visit, do not forget to bring evidence of your ties to Canada, Job, Housing etc to be shown if asked.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

No he is not a US Citizen, if he is a permanent resident then he should have a 10 year green card (unless he was given a conditional GC which is 2 years). He can apply for citizenship after he has lived here for 5 years. There are 3 steps to the immigrations process:

1. USCIS will process your I-130 (takes about 5-6 months)

2. Your case will be forwarded to NVC for processing (processing times vary)

3. You will have an interview at the US embassy in your home country (again processing times vary)

Timeline

Ontarkie ... Thank you for moving my questions to where it maybe more visible ?

Boiler ... Frustrating to know we're going to be doing the long distance this for a few years .. But we're in it for the long haul

We're a small border town, so a lot of the border officers know us from crossing all the time and know our ties to the community we live in .. But thank you for the documentation suggestion ?

janetusman .... He does not have a 2 year or a 10 year permant resident card .. Under the jay treaty he can work and live in the U.S. without anything other than his social security card, which he has. The border does not exist to jay treaty First Nation people. He did not have to do the medical or the interview to receive his permant residence card. This is not a "normal" immigration process because of his jay treaty rights.

He has all the same right as a U.S. Citizen except to vote, If he wanted to vote he could naturalize. The only reason he has had to obtain his perminant resident card is to sponsor me because I am not status First Nation. I will have to do the medical and the interview.

that's where things get confusing, when speaking with lawyers, immigrations, customs etc .. No two people can tell us all the documents that need to be filled out. everyone has a matter of opion but nothing in black and white to back it up.

I know we can't be the first couple to be doing this legally lol

Thank you for a summery of the steps we are to expect along the way ?

Timeline

You are not the first one I have seen but I doubt many on here have seen any.

But it was a long time ago, I presume if he wishes to naturalise he will need to wait 5 years and meet the residency requirements.

What documentation does he use to exert his rights? Presumably there will be members of his tribe who have gone before.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

All he needed was a letter from his tribe stating he was at least 50% native from the chief of his tribe, his Canadian issued native status card and his Canadian issued passport to receive his social security card.

To obtain his permant status he presented his social security card, the letter, birth certificate, passport and filled out a form at the immigration office, He see our part time residence address in the states. Once the paperwork was processed he had to do his biometrics (picture, fingerprints) then his green card was issued.

He comes from a very small tribe 300-400 members so he is one of the first that has to do this process. (Where one person is native and the other is not already a U.S. Citizen) Guess we're ground breakers lol

Timeline

So just like any other GC holder.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't help with your questions, I just wanted to say good for him for going to the US through the Jay Treaty. I tried but my band couldn't produce the letter, I was calling from far away and requesting it. Things worked out anyways for me.

What I did when I was looking into it was make an infopass appt here in Spokane when I was visiting and asked them. They had one person there who knew about it. I know that doesn't help if you're not in the US, but that's what I did.

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed : 2014-10-07

NOA Date : 2014-10-14

Bio. Appt. : 2014-11-06

Interview Date : 2015-01-05 - APPROVED!

Green Card Received: 2015-01-13 *error on Green Card

i-90 mailed: 2015-01-16

EAD

Date Filed : 2014-10-07

NOA Date : 2014-10-14

Approved Date : 2014-12-22

Received Date: 2015-01-02

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm the issue not him .. He does not NEED the gc except if I'm to move with him

What expiry date did they put on his green card? I'm just curious if they gave him a 10 year card right away. Either way, because his status is LPR and not an actual citizen I think you're stuck waiting a lot longer than if he was a citizen.

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

Help ... I keep running into dead ends, several lawyers I've spoken to can't agree, can't get two Immigrations officers to agree on the correct procedure, US border is telling us something different, not finding much information on the internet. Very frustrated!!! :(

My husband who is a Jay Treaty Canadian born first nation and I are moving to the USA. He has applied and received his permeant residence status. (which we know he did not have to get because he can live and work in the states without restrictions, however he needs his permanent residence status in order to sponsor me because I am not native american)

Now that he has his permanent residence card, he is filing the I-130 form to petition my application so that I can move to the states with him.

- after he has filed this form am I allowed to live with him in the states while the paperwork is being processed or do I have to remain in Canada?

- If I have to remain in Canada, am I able to visit my husband in the states during the paper process?

- how long is a typical wait?

Once the I-130 application has been accepted, and we receive a I-797 Notification well file I-485 form. Again

- or is it this point I am allowed to live in the states with him?

- how long of a process is this?

also

- is my husband considered a US citizen? as he has all the rights of a US citizen except he can't vote.

sorry this is all over the place but I'm trying to get some idea of the time frame that we will be spending apart as he will be leaving on May 1st to start our life in the states without me.. so any insight would be greatly appreciated. TIA

He is like a citizen with that treaty (kind of like PR) however to petition a foreigner

you have to go thru the motions of getting a GC to do a petition due to the 50% reason

so it will just be like a LPR petitioning a wife & visiting may not be a hugh prob while

the case is being processed...I don't think it will take yrs & may go a little faster base

on the natives laws & agreements we don't know, so stay positive...good luck

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/other-ways-get-green-card/green-card-american-indian-born-canada would seem to be relevant, and states that your husband would be considered a permanent resident for the purposes of bringing non-tribe family members to the US.

You would not be able to file an I-485 until the priority date of your I-130 (under the F2A category) became current. Also, entering the US on a nonimmigrant visa with the preconceived intent to remain and adjust status is considered visa fraud, so you should not do that.

As of now the waiting time for F2A from filing to becoming current is approximately 18 months.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Ontarkie ... Thank you for moving my questions to where it maybe more visible ?

Boiler ... Frustrating to know we're going to be doing the long distance this for a few years .. But we're in it for the long haul

We're a small border town, so a lot of the border officers know us from crossing all the time and know our ties to the community we live in .. But thank you for the documentation suggestion ?

janetusman .... He does not have a 2 year or a 10 year permant resident card .. Under the jay treaty he can work and live in the U.S. without anything other than his social security card, which he has. The border does not exist to jay treaty First Nation people. He did not have to do the medical or the interview to receive his permant residence card. This is not a "normal" immigration process because of his jay treaty rights.

He has all the same right as a U.S. Citizen except to vote, If he wanted to vote he could naturalize. The only reason he has had to obtain his perminant resident card is to sponsor me because I am not status First Nation. I will have to do the medical and the interview.

that's where things get confusing, when speaking with lawyers, immigrations, customs etc .. No two people can tell us all the documents that need to be filled out. everyone has a matter of opion but nothing in black and white to back it up.

I know we can't be the first couple to be doing this legally lol

Thank you for a summery of the steps we are to expect along the way ?

You can follow the guide on the site here (link below). While it's written for US citizens sponsoring foreign spouses, the paperwork and guide is basically the same. Where it lists documents to establish the petitioners US citizenship, you would submit the documents which establish legal residence, but it does give the basic idea. At this point, the fancy part is over. it's just a straight forward filing now as a spouse of a LPR.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.