visavis

New to VisaJourney, Need Some Basic Help!

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey everyone! Excited to be a part of this highly-recommended community.

I am American with an Israeli fiancee who is soon to be my wife :-). We have been together for 3.5 years while I've been in Israel for medical school, and now that I'm going back we have a one-year delay while she's finishing her degree and we do the green card process.

We want to get all of our USCIS-stage paperwork together so that the moment we receive our marriage certificate, we can get it translated and send the package right in. I have the following questions that I hope you can answer!

1. For the USCIS-stage paperwork, how much material should we send in to prove the bonafide marriage? We have a 4-month lease together, have traveled to 2 countries (not counting all of the travel within Israel), and will have all of the marriage stuff (invitations, pictures, video, etc) by the time the marriage certificate arrives. How much should we stuff in this USCIS envelope vs. how much should we keep for the NVC stage interview?

2. For the addresses in the G325a, should I (American petitioner) include all of the addresses I've lived, despite keeping my permanent address and citizenship in Massachusetts, USA? I have lived in 3 different addresses in Israel and have moved home twice during the past 4 years, once for 3 months for summer break and the other for 7 months while I did rotations and interviews all around the northeast.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! I feel like I have a general idea of the timeline but want to make sure I don't screw anything up. I don't think we need to hire a lawyer, but the other classmates of mine who are marrying Israelis did so out of fear and not knowing about this wonderful website.

-Evan

All you need is in the guides section - http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1and also check the example forms: http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

For the USCIS-stage paperwork, how much material should we send in to prove the bonafide marriage? We have a 4-month lease together, have traveled to 2 countries (not counting all of the travel within Israel), and will have all of the marriage stuff (invitations, pictures, video, etc) by the time the marriage certificate arrives. How much should we stuff in this USCIS envelope vs. how much should we keep for the NVC stage interview?

Whatever evidence you want to have part of the file prior to an interview should be included with the I-130. Whatever you submit should also be brought to the interview at the Consulate (there is no interview at the NVC stage of the process) in case a CO asks to see a piece of evidence.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

All you need is in the guides section - http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1and also check the example forms: http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples

After reviewing the two references, I'm not sure that I was able to find an answer to my questions. It seems that the i130 guide does only reference providing evidence of a bonafide marriage in submitting the i130, but then proceeds to say "In general, it is a good idea that your relative bring documentation to prove strong ties and a relationship with you, the petitioner. (i.e. phone bills, letters etc.)."

Is this referencing only the same documents from the i130, or is this additional information since the time of the first packet submission to show that the relationship is continuing?

In addition, I couldn't find any examples in the G325a that is similar to my case. With my permanent address back in Massachusetts but my mailing address being here in Israel, and having been home for a few months, I seem to need a bit more guidance. Should I list my addresses in continuous chronological order, repeating my permanent address if I was there multiple times (i.e. Massachusetts address 02/2010-08/2011;Israel 08/2011-06/2012; Massachusetts address 06/2012-08/2012; new Israeli address 08/2012-06/2014, etc.)?

Lastly, since I traveled numerous times for interviews, living in 3 different cities in 4 months, should I be including these?

Sorry for the multiple questions, I hope someone can help who's been through a similar situation. Thanks!

I've been out of the game a while, but hope the below is helpful...

Check out this thread regarding addresses. Ryan H is a long-time poster and very knowledgeable. Mailing address on I-130. Physical addresses on G325a so it seems...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/510492-physical-or-mailing-address-for-i-130g25a/

After reviewing the two references, I'm not sure that I was able to find an answer to my questions. It seems that the i130 guide does only reference providing evidence of a bonafide marriage in submitting the i130, but then proceeds to say "In general, it is a good idea that your relative bring documentation to prove strong ties and a relationship with you, the petitioner. (i.e. phone bills, letters etc.)."

Is this referencing only the same documents from the i130, or is this additional information since the time of the first packet submission to show that the relationship is continuing?

When you apply for the I-130, you'll submit a bunch of evidence. But you may not get an interview until 9 months later, and built up more "evidence" of your marriage since that time. This is probably saying when you go to your interview, your wife will need to bring not only a copy of the I-130 and all the evidence, but the new stuff also. Don't assume the embassy has all the evidence in your original I-130 as things get lost sometimes.

What you need to focus on is getting as much supporting documentation to your marriage that you can find. If you search the forums enough you will see all kinds of things people submit. My package was literally 1.5 inches thick out of fear, but most don't need to go that far. Your wife is in a "low fraud" country and wouldn't sweat it too much.
There isn't some set "point system" where document1 + document2 + document3 = minimum point score. It's a holistic review, from an actual person. Most people who are married for a short amount of time, or in particular circumstances will have less (or different) documentation than others, but your goal is to give the reviewer as much info as possible to avoid the dreaded RFE (request for evidence) which isn't so bad, except it adds time (perhaps months) to the process. USCIS places more emphasis on documentation showing the both of you sharing financial type things. I would probably group evidence into these categories (my personal opinion only) from strong to weak...but by all means include everything. Search for "I-130 cover sheet" and you can see what people submit:
Strong
children, lease/mortgage, assets, loans and obligations, bank/stock/equity/etc, health/life/car/whatever insurance...
Credit cards, Cell phone, utility bills, other bills that have relative smaller obligations (maybe bill for expensive durable good, fridge, bike, etc)
Other documentation may include receipts from vacations taken together, hotel receipts, boarding passes (not ticket receipts),
Pictures of you together at various places, various times, with various people.
Affidavits from US citizens (only) attesting to your bona fide marriage
Club cards in both your names
xmas cards, letters addresses in both your names
Weak
In addition, I couldn't find any examples in the G325a that is similar to my case. With my permanent address back in Massachusetts but my mailing address being here in Israel, and having been home for a few months, I seem to need a bit more guidance. Should I list my addresses in continuous chronological order, repeating my permanent address if I was there multiple times (i.e. Massachusetts address 02/2010-08/2011;Israel 08/2011-06/2012; Massachusetts address 06/2012-08/2012; new Israeli address 08/2012-06/2014, etc.)?
I don't think the order is that important, as long as its in some kind of order. Check the application though, they may want the newest first or something. But make sure you don't have any gaps in the dates. You don't want them wondering where you were for 6 months. Also for the G325a I would make sure the dates match up with any visa stamps in your passport.
Lastly, since I traveled numerous times for interviews, living in 3 different cities in 4 months, should I be including these?
Not sure on this one.

Affidavits do not need to be from USCs only. They are really low on the evidence scale as people can and do lie.

As for your g325a, list all your legal residences. If it's just a temporary place like a hotel, dont bother, but someplace you get mail, etc, then list it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Wow, thank you so much! This really clarifies these concepts for me. I appreciate the effort you put into helping!

I highly doubt I have the receipts for many of the purchases we've made, particularly travel-related, over the past several years we've been together, but I'm hoping that aside from the joint lease for the apartment we've been renting since January we can send in a barrage of photographs, credit card statements, and trip itineraries (I doubt I still have the boarding passes) to establish our relationship, plus all of the stuff concerning our wedding (i.e. invitations, pictures, video on USB).

Once again, THANK YOU!!

I've been out of the game a while, but hope the below is helpful...

Check out this thread regarding addresses. Ryan H is a long-time poster and very knowledgeable. Mailing address on I-130. Physical addresses on G325a so it seems...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/510492-physical-or-mailing-address-for-i-130g25a/

When you apply for the I-130, you'll submit a bunch of evidence. But you may not get an interview until 9 months later, and built up more "evidence" of your marriage since that time. This is probably saying when you go to your interview, your wife will need to bring not only a copy of the I-130 and all the evidence, but the new stuff also. Don't assume the embassy has all the evidence in your original I-130 as things get lost sometimes.

What you need to focus on is getting as much supporting documentation to your marriage that you can find. If you search the forums enough you will see all kinds of things people submit. My package was literally 1.5 inches thick out of fear, but most don't need to go that far. Your wife is in a "low fraud" country and wouldn't sweat it too much.
There isn't some set "point system" where document1 + document2 + document3 = minimum point score. It's a holistic review, from an actual person. Most people who are married for a short amount of time, or in particular circumstances will have less (or different) documentation than others, but your goal is to give the reviewer as much info as possible to avoid the dreaded RFE (request for evidence) which isn't so bad, except it adds time (perhaps months) to the process. USCIS places more emphasis on documentation showing the both of you sharing financial type things. I would probably group evidence into these categories (my personal opinion only) from strong to weak...but by all means include everything. Search for "I-130 cover sheet" and you can see what people submit:
Strong
children, lease/mortgage, assets, loans and obligations, bank/stock/equity/etc, health/life/car/whatever insurance...
Credit cards, Cell phone, utility bills, other bills that have relative smaller obligations (maybe bill for expensive durable good, fridge, bike, etc)
Other documentation may include receipts from vacations taken together, hotel receipts, boarding passes (not ticket receipts),
Pictures of you together at various places, various times, with various people.
Affidavits from US citizens (only) attesting to your bona fide marriage
Club cards in both your names
xmas cards, letters addresses in both your names
Weak
I don't think the order is that important, as long as its in some kind of order. Check the application though, they may want the newest first or something. But make sure you don't have any gaps in the dates. You don't want them wondering where you were for 6 months. Also for the G325a I would make sure the dates match up with any visa stamps in your passport.
Not sure on this one.

Have a look through this EZ guide. http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/EZGuideSpouse There is a huge list at the bottom of items that VJ members have compiled that can be used as evidence of a genuine relationship.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

No prob man. Yea take a look at that list NLR put down. It pretty much has everything people possibly put in their I-130.

Please remember this is only part 1 of 3. Part 2, the IV/AOS package (that goes to the NVC) deals with money. Assuming your I-130 gets approved, you then need to show you could actually support your wife on your own. Via tax return filings showing income, or assets, or if not, you need to get a US citizen sponsor. This is so that your wife doesn't go on welfare and become a burden to society as soon as she comes. You (and/or your sponsor) will be financially liable if she does receive benefits. Part 3 is the interview which is usually pretty easy and usually a formality (for those that don't have signs of being fraudulent).

But not to confuse you, if you're currently living outside of the US, I think may be eligible to file via DCF (direct counselor filing) which means you file your I-130 directly with the US embassy in the foreign country you're in (versus sending the app to one of the USCIS service centers). Typically this route has been faster (at least when I was doing this) With you having a mailing address in the US, but living elsewhere...not sure if you should/could.

Can somebody smarter than me weigh in on DCF eligiblity?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

No prob man. Yea take a look at that list NLR put down. It pretty much has everything people possibly put in their I-130.

Please remember this is only part 1 of 3. Part 2, the IV/AOS package (that goes to the NVC) deals with money. Assuming your I-130 gets approved, you then need to show you could actually support your wife on your own. Via tax return filings showing income, or assets, or if not, you need to get a US citizen sponsor. This is so that your wife doesn't go on welfare and become a burden to society as soon as she comes. You (and/or your sponsor) will be financially liable if she does receive benefits. Part 3 is the interview which is usually pretty easy and usually a formality (for those that don't have signs of being fraudulent).

But not to confuse you, if you're currently living outside of the US, I think may be eligible to file via DCF (direct counselor filing) which means you file your I-130 directly with the US embassy in the foreign country you're in (versus sending the app to one of the USCIS service centers). Typically this route has been faster (at least when I was doing this) With you having a mailing address in the US, but living elsewhere...not sure if you should/could.

DCF is only available in a handful of countries that have a USCIS field office. This is the list: http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-immigration-offices

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Have a look through this EZ guide. http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/EZGuideSpouse There is a huge list at the bottom of items that VJ members have compiled that can be used as evidence of a genuine relationship.

Woooaaaa. So anything and everything seems to go! The question is where to draw the line, I guess. Thanks for this!

Also, they mention "receipts" constantly. I hope they're not expecting a hard-copy receipt and that any receipt sent via e-mail or a credit card statement would suffice.

You two are great. What did you include in your packet(s) to prove your marriage/relationship?

Since I'm a medical student subsisting solely on U.S. loans, I haven't had a tax return above $0 since 2011. Despite the fact that I'll be making a steady paycheck and start to receive pay stubs this June, I assume that without an established history, I should/need to ask a family member to be the sponsor? Or should some sort of statement showing my intended income from my employer be possible?

DCF is only available in a handful of countries that have a USCIS field office. This is the list: http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-immigration-offices

Nyaaah #######. I guess it's better not to do DCF if I'm moving back to my permanent address around the time I submit my i130 anyways.

Woooaaaa. So anything and everything seems to go! The question is where to draw the line, I guess. Thanks for this!

Also, they mention "receipts" constantly. I hope they're not expecting a hard-copy receipt and that any receipt sent via e-mail or a credit card statement would suffice.

You two are great. What did you include in your packet(s) to prove your marriage/relationship?

Since I'm a medical student subsisting solely on U.S. loans, I haven't had a tax return above $0 since 2011. Despite the fact that I'll be making a steady paycheck and start to receive pay stubs this June, I assume that without an established history, I should/need to ask a family member to be the sponsor? Or should some sort of statement showing my intended income from my employer be possible?

Nyaaah #######. I guess it's better not to do DCF if I'm moving back to my permanent address around the time I submit my i130 anyways.

Focus on quality vs quantity. Evidence of time spent together along with any financial co-mingling is the best. Heck wills, living wills, power of attorney... People don't think of those but they are things married couples should do. I wouldn't worry about receipts as they are low on the evidence scale. It's pretty hard to show that you were together at that point unless it's supplementary to photos etc... The list of evidence you can send is huge, but that doesn't mean it's all quality evidence, like I said. ;)

You don't necessarily need a joint sponsor if you have a good job that is making well above the guidelines at the time of the AOS. At least 6 months of pay stubs is preferable. You can slow down the NVC stage if you choose so that you're not having to rely on a joint sponsor, or you can ask someone. Up to you honestly. My husband had been working since Sept 2012 and my interview was in May 2013. He was fine. Granted he was working for the federal government but if you're a doctor, I cannot imagine that wouldn't be good enough. lol

What we sent would be different than what someone from a high fraud country would need to send. The amount of evidence needed for a low fraud country, like Canada or the UK, is a different story than from China, Nigeria, Pakistan, etc... It's why we like to see beneficiary country flags so that we can help you to the max of our ability for any specifics that may be needed.

Right now I'm collecting the evidence needed for the removal of conditions on my green card. UGH! Keep EVERYTHING!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Hey everyone! Excited to be a part of this highly-recommended community.

I am American with an Israeli fiancee who is soon to be my wife :-). We have been together for 3.5 years while I've been in Israel for medical school, and now that I'm going back we have a one-year delay while she's finishing her degree and we do the green card process.

We want to get all of our USCIS-stage paperwork together so that the moment we receive our marriage certificate, we can get it translated and send the package right in. I have the following questions that I hope you can answer!

1. For the USCIS-stage paperwork, how much material should we send in to prove the bonafide marriage? We have a 4-month lease together, have traveled to 2 countries (not counting all of the travel within Israel), and will have all of the marriage stuff (invitations, pictures, video, etc) by the time the marriage certificate arrives. How much should we stuff in this USCIS envelope vs. how much should we keep for the NVC stage interview?

2. For the addresses in the G325a, should I (American petitioner) include all of the addresses I've lived, despite keeping my permanent address and citizenship in Massachusetts, USA? I have lived in 3 different addresses in Israel and have moved home twice during the past 4 years, once for 3 months for summer break and the other for 7 months while I did rotations and interviews all around the northeast.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! I feel like I have a general idea of the timeline but want to make sure I don't screw anything up. I don't think we need to hire a lawyer, but the other classmates of mine who are marrying Israelis did so out of fear and not knowing about this wonderful website.

-Evan

Hi Evan,

My husband and I are completing the same process from Israel (at NVC waiting for case complete). if you would like I think I can help with lots of information and tips, you are welcome to contact me via private message (I assume there is a private message...) and I will send you my telephone number!

Good luck

Married March 16th 2006

USCIS Stage

Novembe30th 2014 - Filed I-130 with California Service Center

December 5th 2014 - NOA1 received

January 5th 2015 – Status changed to approved

NVC Stage

January 21st - Case received

February 23th 2015 – Got Case number/invoice number & Completed choice of agent

February 24th 2015 - Paid AOS fee

March 18th 2015 – Paid IV fee and completed DS230

March 24th - Scan Date

April 17th – Check list for AOS (2014 tax information)

April 22nd – Sent new AOS

April 27th – New Scan Date

May 28th – Case Complete!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.